Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2019, 05:58 PM

2,319 posts, read 2,169,630 times

Advertisements

I am trying to use tiller to clean up weed and existing lawn, then plant new grass seed.

I have received Sun Joe TJ603E Electric Garden Tiller/Cultivator, but have not opened the box yet. Not sure if it gives users option to go down less than 3 inches. I only want to loose a little bit soil, hope not hitting utility lines. However, there were big trees in back yard, and they were cut down a few years ago, probably no utility lines in back yard.

The more chance is hitting tree root and damage tiller.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2019, 06:56 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
Call your local utility and ask them to come out and mark the lines because you are plannin on digging. It is free and ask how deep their lines are buried. You might be able to get them all out with a single call depending upon where you reside. They will mark communication, water, gas and electric.

Old 09-13-2019, 07:16 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
There's usually a well published number for "call before you dig". Around here it's 811.

They will come out and mark the lines.

Old 09-13-2019, 07:22 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,335,750 times
Utility lines are virtually always in the street and are almost always routed through the yard that faces the street. Virtually always at least a foot deep.

You are very unlikely to encounter any utility lines with a tiller. Perhaps your own irrigation lines if anything.

Old 09-13-2019, 08:32 PM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Power lines are usually buried safely, but each site is different. In Florida, the transformer for four homes was in my backyard, and lines went from it to the homes though the various backyards. Phone and cable lines ... I had a cable line lying on top of the ground for a while - it finally got buried just under the sod. AT&T ditchwitched a telephone line here no more than 4" down. I watched.

You have to call the free service that marks where your lines are. It is only common sense.

Old 09-13-2019, 09:32 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
"Are utility lines normally in the front yard?"

They will be wherever it was the most convenient for the utility company to put them. So yes, they may be in your front yard. A bunch of strangers on the internet cannot possibly tell you where your lines are.

Call the local number, the utilities will be happy to come out and mark the lines. Make sure you take photos or otherwise mark where they are, for future reference.

Old 09-13-2019, 09:32 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,600,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Call your local utility and ask them to come out and mark the lines because you are plannin on digging. It is free and ask how deep their lines are buried. You might be able to get them all out with a single call depending upon where you reside. They will mark communication, water, gas and electric.
This. Better to be safe than sorry.

Old 09-14-2019, 12:14 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,757,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Utility lines are virtually always in the street and are almost always routed through the yard that faces the street. Virtually always at least a foot deep.

You are very unlikely to encounter any utility lines with a tiller. Perhaps your own irrigation lines if anything.
This is wrong for much of the country without alleys. They are in the back yard so streets do not have to be dug up in case of utility problems.

Old 09-14-2019, 12:16 AM

2,373 posts, read 1,910,508 times
You didn't get the info on your house and land map when you bought?

If you don't have it...utilities can be anywhere. There is a usual for some but if they can't fit them because of odd lots, they can be somewhere else.

Most of ours are in the side yard to one side running street to house.

Others are across the front of the lawn near the road. Therefore,run under driveways.

Still others are in the back yard. Three lines. One gas. Forget which of the others at the moment. To such an extent there in fact that I doubt I'll actually dig there with a shovel. I'm fine planting some seeds and smaller things where I can very carefully use a trowel. Fortunately there are many nice things back there from the previous owner. And little gifts from seeds the birds dropped or the wind carried in that show up now and then.

Old 09-14-2019, 12:24 AM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
Our house the gas line is buried in the street about 4 feet down, the electric is in the rear yard about 3 feet down and the telephone/cable lines are 6 inches down the side yard and the irrigation lines are all over the yard 6 inches down.
So it looks like it varies all over the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden