Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2019, 03:53 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times

Advertisements

Shouldn't Forsythia be in the same color as Golden Delicious Apple?

Right now, with so many invasive species attacking our forest, it is important to match up what you want to plant with both the native animals and the invasive pest. There is no sense throwing away money. The red maple, blue spruce, apple, and white pine can be hooked by buck cleaning their antlers. So it is important to protect the young trees from our buck. Many areas in the US have problems with the fire blight killing our apple trees; I just removed my dead trees. So it is very important to select a root stock that is 'blight resistant'. If you live in an area where your new apple trees are surrounded by older apple trees with the blight; then you might have problems. I would not be quick to plant any ash trees since I am now busy cutting down 20 of mine killed by the emerald ash borer.

I am not say that you made a bad choice. I am just warning others to be aware of your surroundings so you don't waste money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2019, 04:10 PM

1,056 posts, read 724,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Shouldn't Forsythia be in the same color as Golden Delicious Apple?

Right now, with so many invasive species attacking our forest, it is important to match up what you want to plant with both the native animals and the invasive pest. There is no sense throwing away money. The red maple, blue spruce, apple, and white pine can be hooked by buck cleaning their antlers. So it is important to protect the young trees from our buck. Many areas in the US have problems with the fire blight killing our apple trees; I just removed my dead trees. So it is very important to select a root stock that is 'blight resistant'. If you live in an area where your new apple trees are surrounded by older apple trees with the blight; then you might have problems. I would not be quick to plant any ash trees since I am now busy cutting down 20 of mine killed by the emerald ash borer.

I am not say that you made a bad choice. I am just warning others to be aware of your surroundings so you don't waste money.
Exactly! We plan to be more careful about protecting our remaining pines in the coming winter, we have repeatedly killed bagworms on our remaining blue spruce (I even removed some by hand before we used insecticides on the rest), and the blue spruce and red maple are now both too big to be hurt by the deer.

As for ash, I'm definitely not planting those. They're deciduous and have nothing in particular special about them.

Apple tree's leaves and fruit are already infected with rust this year. I hadn't even thought about the root things when we got our apple trees (I hadn't done that much research back then). All we can do now is chemically prevent it next spring, as we're not cutting every single Virginian Juniper on the grounds (the juniper forests are already dying due to their shade intolerance and age, it'd be far too much work, and they're evergreen).

Also, do you think the thorns on the Needle Palm stems would deter deer, or should we spray repellent on them too come winter? I'm not worried about pests nor herbivores though, as the leaves are quite tough (they have a hard protective coating which other palms and many other broad-leaved evergreens lack).

Old 09-09-2019, 04:25 PM

2,539 posts, read 1,907,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenclark View Post
if you have what kind of tree did you plant ???
I bought a maple tree as a sapling at K-Mart and planted it in my front yard in Georgia. It grew to be a large, beautiful tree....one of the last to have its leaves turn in the fall to a beautiful orange. One of my biggest regrets in moving was leaving that tree. I have planted others, but that maple stood alone in the front yard and it was glorious.

Old 09-09-2019, 05:46 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt-lover L.A.M. View Post
Exactly! We plan to be more careful about protecting our remaining pines in the coming winter, we have repeatedly killed bagworms on our remaining blue spruce (I even removed some by hand before we used insecticides on the rest), and the blue spruce and red maple are now both too big to be hurt by the deer.

As for ash, I'm definitely not planting those. They're deciduous and have nothing in particular special about them.

Apple tree's leaves and fruit are already infected with rust this year. I hadn't even thought about the root things when we got our apple trees (I hadn't done that much research back then). All we can do now is chemically prevent it next spring, as we're not cutting every single Virginian Juniper on the grounds (the juniper forests are already dying due to their shade intolerance and age, it'd be far too much work, and they're evergreen).

Also, do you think the thorns on the Needle Palm stems would deter deer, or should we spray repellent on them too come winter? I'm not worried about pests nor herbivores though, as the leaves are quite tough (they have a hard protective coating which other palms and many other broad-leaved evergreens lack).
Tell all the gardeners with rose bushes how thorns stop the deer! Although I am not familiar with Needle Palms. Deer are like pigs. You can go for years and none will bother your new plants, then one gets the taste for what you planted, and then they all want it.

As far as your apple trees here is a map of the fire blight in the US: Fire Blight Map. As you can see it is in Tennessee. It will stay in the soil for some time after the trees die. You also are supposed to prune off affected limbs and then soak or clean your pruning clippers with bleach before making another cut - you have to worry about spreading the disease: https://www.planetnatural.com/pest-p...e/fire-blight/. But that is why it is important to plant apples that are blight resistant.

Old 09-09-2019, 06:31 PM

1,493 posts, read 1,518,718 times
I plant trees every year. Lately I have been transplanting pitch pines which are ingenious to my area. I also collect the berries off holly trees and plant them.

People who plant trees are good people.

Old 09-09-2019, 06:37 PM

37,592 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Oh my - I've planted LOTS of trees. Too many to name.

Old 09-09-2019, 06:49 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,369,016 times
Quote:
yes i have......i cant remember what kind it was lol.

Old 09-09-2019, 10:59 PM

630 posts, read 657,073 times
so nice to see tree lovers here..

Where Im located the soil is terrible, it's very heavy gray clay with almost no drainage so choices have been limited by this. Basically red and live oaks, Chinese pistache, southern magnolias, redbuds, red maple and Shantung maples. They can handle the terrible clay easily.

Old 09-10-2019, 01:18 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,764,363 times
Quote:
OMG, DW and I have planted more than 50 of all types. Trees are awesome, they are like an old buddy that you grow old with.

Old 09-10-2019, 07:42 AM

110 posts, read 77,080 times
Of course. For our first house in CA, it was a sour gum in the front yard. In WA, several fruit trees in the backyard and a couple of Japanese green leaf maples in the front yard. In NM, a golden honey locust in the front yard. Here in CO, fruit trees again in the backyard and a flowering plum in the front yard.

Most of these trees at our old houses are still standing (we can see them on Google Earth street views).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden