U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2019, 08:39 PM

10,954 posts, read 4,452,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
Funny timing. I was in the florist section of the grocery store over the weekend. They had some potted plants on the floor. One had fallen over, and I couldn't help but feel sorry for it. I felt compelled to put it back upright.
Good job! ;D That's the beginning of your recognition that plants are alive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2019, 08:42 PM

10,954 posts, read 4,452,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unlabeled View Post
I'm so glad it's not just me. I don't like to see plants needlessly neglected and killed. They're living beings who may have a primitive form of consciousness. I'm kind to bugs too.
Exactly. Life is valuable. I'll search the house for a "click beetle" that I keep hearing clicking, so I can carry it outside.

Old 09-09-2019, 10:09 PM

9,796 posts, read 6,471,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I tend to feel sorry for severely, sculptured bushes. I tend to think it's very cruel and even sadistic, to chop the "heads" off these bushes, as it's so unnatural. I can understand it better if they were interfering with telephone wires.

Around my community, they planted oleanders around the whole circumference of the property, and spaced too close together, and they chop them off at 6 feet high, whereas, Oleanders can grow up to 20 feet high. What a sad, pathetic sight. I talk to plants, and I even tell them to go ahead and commit suicide as why would you want to go through all that abuse, year round just to give privacy to the community. I just planted 2 in my backyard and I encourage them to reach for the skies as I'll never cut them.

Many people tend to think that cacti don't need much water, and I can certainly spot a very thirsty cacti in the summer here in Tucson. I just talked to one of my neighbors, saying 2 of her cacti were dying and I asked her how often she waters them. Once a month! Oh please! Put into pots, I told her you need to water them once or twice a week in summer, and even year round. I have cacti and I water them 2X a week and they're more than happy.

Someone in my community put 2 Cape Honey suckles in 2 pots that aren't big enough and every time I pass by I touch them and tell them how I sympathasize with them. I have 2 in my yard and I would never think of imprisoning them in pots.

The sight of a severely neglected plant saddens me. I know it sounds crazy, but perhaps the day will come when they create a Plant Abuse Hotline.

Personally, I love to hear plants scream

Old 09-09-2019, 11:00 PM
Status: "BE A MOD. Feel important SOMEWHERE in life." (set 6 days ago)

2,099 posts, read 1,016,228 times
I have no idea what sort of weed or whatever it was--it had a big green clover-like leaf--and it sprouted majestically from a crack in the sidewalk in my neighborhood. I'd see it on my daily travels and would sometimes absentmindedly wonder when some idiot would rip it up for no reason.

It lasted for a good couple of weeks (since I'd begun noticing it).

Old 09-09-2019, 11:47 PM

7,185 posts, read 4,022,464 times
When I bought my condo, I felt sorry for an ugly little azalea plant that the previous owner let her dog use as a toilet.Poor little thing was dying. I fed and watered it, pruned off the dead twigs, and talked to it. Now 4 years later it is green and pretty and bloomed this year!

Old 09-10-2019, 01:45 AM

17,654 posts, read 21,536,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobCaldwell View Post
I have no idea what sort of weed or whatever it was--it had a big green clover-like leaf--and it sprouted majestically from a crack in the sidewalk in my neighborhood. I'd see it on my daily travels and would sometimes absentmindedly wonder when some idiot would rip it up for no reason.

It lasted for a good couple of weeks (since I'd begun noticing it).
I'm actually learning that there are some weeds that turn out beautifully, and I'm allowing a few of them into my yard, providing they behave themselves.

I live in a 55+ community and 30% of the residents are snowbirds, no one to attend to their lawns for months on end. My snowbird neighbor, just before she left, dumped a gallon of Round-up in her front yard and a whole crop of beautiful yellow daisy like flowers emerged. Hahaha! Apparently some weeds love Round-up!

Old 09-10-2019, 03:59 AM

2,914 posts, read 1,131,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
When I bought my condo, I felt sorry for an ugly little azalea plant that the previous owner let her dog use as a toilet.Poor little thing was dying. I fed and watered it, pruned off the dead twigs, and talked to it. Now 4 years later it is green and pretty and bloomed this year!

Yea. I know what you mean...But then they grow up, move away and never call. Ingrates.

Old 09-10-2019, 05:29 AM

37,492 posts, read 46,257,500 times
I do not like severely pruned shrubs. I try to plant things that won’t outgrow their spot. I live in a 30 year old neighborhood, and the overgrown shrubbery here would send you screaming.

We joke about our neighbor, “speedo man” and his annual pre Easter massacre. Every spring, he takes to his yard with hedge clippers and prunes his poor shrubs brutally (he’s wearing a speedo). Then he puts down pine straw, and he’s done for the year.

I also like to buy plants off the clearance rack at the garden center. It makes me happy when I can nurse something back. Usually, the plants are just past flowering. There’s nothing wrong with them.

Old 09-10-2019, 05:38 AM

8,028 posts, read 10,801,597 times
Around this area in the spring many practice CPM, Crepe Myrtle Murder and lop all the branches to the trunk. Makes me cry.

Old 09-10-2019, 05:57 AM

37,492 posts, read 46,257,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Around this area in the spring many practice CPM, Crepe Myrtle Murder and lop all the branches to the trunk. Makes me cry.
I hate this, too. Why do they do this? Does anyone think that naked, knobby trunks are attractive?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or