Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2019, 03:35 AM

23,118 posts, read 28,853,735 times

Advertisements

I tend to feel sorry for severely, sculptured bushes. I tend to think it's very cruel and even sadistic, to chop the "heads" off these bushes, as it's so unnatural. I can understand it better if they were interfering with telephone wires.

Around my community, they planted oleanders around the whole circumference of the property, and spaced too close together, and they chop them off at 6 feet high, whereas, Oleanders can grow up to 20 feet high. What a sad, pathetic sight. I talk to plants, and I even tell them to go ahead and commit suicide as why would you want to go through all that abuse, year round just to give privacy to the community. I just planted 2 in my backyard and I encourage them to reach for the skies as I'll never cut them.

Many people tend to think that cacti don't need much water, and I can certainly spot a very thirsty cacti in the summer here in Tucson. I just talked to one of my neighbors, saying 2 of her cacti were dying and I asked her how often she waters them. Once a month! Oh please! Put into pots, I told her you need to water them once or twice a week in summer, and even year round. I have cacti and I water them 2X a week and they're more than happy.

Someone in my community put 2 Cape Honey suckles in 2 pots that aren't big enough and every time I pass by I touch them and tell them how I sympathasize with them. I have 2 in my yard and I would never think of imprisoning them in pots.

The sight of a severely neglected plant saddens me. I know it sounds crazy, but perhaps the day will come when they create a Plant Abuse Hotline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2019, 11:07 AM

7,149 posts, read 4,996,790 times
I know what you mean...I always feel like a cruel god when I have to thin out my indoor tomato starts each spring.

I also wonder why vegans don't think plants scream too when they get harvested.

Aboriginal societies that have beliefs best described as Naturalism think all entities, from animals to plants to the elements like rocks or air have a spirit that should be respected.

Old 09-08-2019, 11:34 AM

11,022 posts, read 6,560,358 times
I know what you mean. I am terrible about thinning seedlings---the little guys seems so earnest!

At our condo, the gardener is brutal about cutting new growth. We have luxurious bougainvillea and it sprawls in all its flowering glory all over the garage roof. So beautiful and not in the way of anything.

He chops them down to nubs!

Old 09-08-2019, 11:43 AM

32,529 posts, read 47,597,720 times
While I don't like to see overly sculpted plants, it is from an artistic point of view. Plants like being fussed over and they don't mind being pruned, so the sculpted plants are probably fine with getting extra attention.

Lack of water is a different thing.

Old 09-08-2019, 01:15 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,529,027 times
is this the garden section or the asylum?

Old 09-08-2019, 01:41 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,194,725 times
I hate to see Maples with most, if not all the limbs cut off. I'm pretty sure it kills them.

Old 09-08-2019, 01:48 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,226 posts, read 80,425,063 times
I suppose the OP would not be happy about my bonsai collection, about 75 trees. I have used minimal wire, but a lot of directional pruning on many of them over many years, even grinding parts to appear as natural deadwood as you see in the forest, especially at high elevations. No, I don’t feel sorry for them, in fact they are getting a pretty easy life with constant protection from the elements, fertilizer, and regular watering.

Old 09-08-2019, 02:34 PM

2,621 posts, read 3,393,922 times
Are most of the posters here (thus far) operating in life on the premise (the presumption) that plants are sentient life forms that have thinking minds, emotional sensiblities, feelings? Really??????? And you can prove this in a scientific sense to the world of discerning biological and life scientists and to the rest of humanity at-large? Where and how did you get this idea in your heads?????????

Then again, I am open to proofs. I could be wrong. Please provide your proofs of this assertion for all of us to consider.

Last edited by UsAll; 09-08-2019 at 03:37 PM..

Old 09-08-2019, 02:39 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,870,504 times
People probably think my mom and I are crazy too then because we are both like this as well.

My mom has rescued several plants that were put in the garbage and nursed them back to health. One of them turned out to be a rare species of philodendron that someone had tossed! I also have a variety of rescues bought from stores at reduced prices or found. I feel very sad when I see plants that aren't being cared for properly and yes, I hate to see bushes/trees lopped off at the top. I also get annoyed when people cut down a tree because they simply don't like it for whatever reason.

I remember embarrassing my grandfather when I was around 3 because he had picked some tulips and I started crying. He wanted to know why on earth I was crying about him picking tulips of all things. I don't remember it but I guess I told him that I was sad because the tulips were going to die because he picked them, lol. I was a pretty sensitive kid ::

Old 09-08-2019, 02:52 PM

11,140 posts, read 7,879,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
is this the garden section or the asylum?
No kidding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden