U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2019, 10:44 PM

138 posts, read 29,392 times

Advertisements

They attacked many of our 15 Eastern White Pines last winter. At least 7 survived, but at least 2 died.

Our blue spruce and red maple are too big now to be severely damaged.

Our forsythias have never been attacked that I know of. Maybe deer can somehow differentiate between trees and shrubs and have no interest in the latter for buck-rubs, or am I overthinking it?

It's highly unlikely that our cacti and yuccas would be of any interest to deer. They're not woody plants, and they've been there for years without a single rub.

How well would Needle Palms fare against the deer? I'm not worried about pests nor herbivores because the leaves are so tough (comparable to conifers, evergreen hollies, Great Rhododendron and Southern Magnolia), but a single buck-rub could be devastating, and I don't know whether deer would be interested, and if so, whether the thorns at the base would repel them.

One person said that thorns don't stop deer from attacking rose bushes, and that's true, but rose thorns are like briar thorns, while Needle Palm thorns are like cactus thorns (except that they're not modified leaves like cactus thorns). So I just need to be sure.

If not, we may need to spray them with deer repellent too come winter, in addition to our pines and possibly blueberry bushes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2019, 09:58 AM

12,045 posts, read 17,639,364 times
I have 5 Needle Palms growing on the Moth Estate, which I share with loads of deer.

From what I can see, they have never touched them.

Old 09-12-2019, 06:04 AM

2,700 posts, read 2,408,618 times
Hopefully they won't. But don't count too heavily on the repellent. I sprayed everything 2 nights ago and yesterday I ran 6 of them out of the garden and they had chewed up about 5 hostas and 12 mounds of mondo grass in just a short time.

Old 09-12-2019, 01:45 PM

7,296 posts, read 5,539,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
Hopefully they won't. But don't count too heavily on the repellent. I sprayed everything 2 nights ago and yesterday I ran 6 of them out of the garden and they had chewed up about 5 hostas and 12 mounds of mondo grass in just a short time.
Yikes! I bought Liquid Fence Granules for some new-planted drift roses. I hope it works.

Old 09-12-2019, 03:05 PM

14,677 posts, read 11,975,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayAnn246 View Post
Yikes! I bought Liquid Fence Granules for some new-planted drift roses. I hope it works.
That is very nice that you like to feed the wildlife! The problem with many repellents is that deer are hungry 24/7 come rain or shine. You apply your repellents and you have a hard rain that washes or dilutes their potency. Or you get one deer that recognizes what you are trying to protect as its favorite food. We also take vacations or simply forget to reapply - but they never forget they are hungry.

I don't mean to discourage you. Some people are successful. It is just that I want you to understand that the odds are against you succeeding.

At one time I had about 75 deer that I could count most of the time around our house. Now, fortunately I am down to about 8 - but they are still good eaters. Of course most garden vegetables are on their 'preferred' list. They love roses, rhododendron, yews, Arborvitae. They do not touch Japanese Andromeda or English Boxwood (only the variety with the shinny rounded leaves).

Old 09-12-2019, 06:10 PM

138 posts, read 29,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
They love roses, rhododendron, yews, Arborvitae.
Yikes! That explains why we've mostly seen yews in the city and rhododendron in the rainforest. Too bad about those and the arborvitae, as they're evergreen and can even be tree-sized!

Also, thanks for those of you who've given advice about the palms and repellent. Does anyone think they'd be vulnerable?

Old Yesterday, 04:01 AM

14,677 posts, read 11,975,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt-lover L.A.M. View Post
Yikes! That explains why we've mostly seen yews in the city and rhododendron in the rainforest. Too bad about those and the arborvitae, as they're evergreen and can even be tree-sized!

Also, thanks for those of you who've given advice about the palms and repellent. Does anyone think they'd be vulnerable?
Actually the arborvitae, rhododendron, and yews can still survive around deer. But we don't like to look at them when the bottom five feet of the plant has been eaten off and only the bare twigs are showing! I did a 'rejuvenation pruning on my rhododendron about four years ago - that is where you cut the large plant down to just a foot sticking out of the ground. Mine were about ten feet tall with no green growth below the five foot level and that is why I cut them off. They are trying to again grow tall; but they are still fighting the deer that like to taste from time to time.

Old Yesterday, 04:31 AM

15,307 posts, read 31,857,191 times
Deer have never touched my needle palms (or any other palm) as far as I can tell.

Old Today, 10:12 AM

2,304 posts, read 1,924,844 times
We battle deer like crazy here. Soooo frustrating for us and have tried everything including professions services at least twice a month. Our problem is they’re not afraid of people. Literally had two just “chillin’” in our garage once. But I’ve found a couple of things that seem to be working.

(1) 5lb clear fishing line at about knee height as a parameter. They can’t see it, but feel it on their legs and it frightens them (because they don’t know what’s there). They brush up against it, stop and go the other way.

(2) A $15 airsoft BB gun (looks like a hand gun). Won’t break their skin, but gives just enough of a startle to send them running. I can hit them from about 150 feet away. It’s not a metal bb, but a little red soft gel piece of plastic about the size of a bb. Mowers pick it up later (we bag). Only had to use it twice on two different deer and haven’t seen either since (and their buddies were watching).

4 days ago there were 12 deer in my neighbor’s yard, just looking at our yard wanting to come eat our flowers. None tried and moved on down the street instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or