Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2019, 07:23 AM

12,836 posts, read 9,033,724 times

Advertisements

You have to call the locator number. There simply is no standard. We had a house were electric, water, sewer, gas were in the front and phone, cable were in the back. Also, in that area, the cable and phone lines to the house were simply laid on the ground and sod laid on top of them so they were only an inch or so down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2019, 07:53 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,103,317 times
We are on a corner lot, and our utilities are all on the side. You don’t know without calling the locator service, normally it’s free. Chances are your cable and phone lines are vulnerable to tilling, the rest are deeper, but don’t take chances. Repairs are very expensive.

Old 09-14-2019, 12:06 PM

2,373 posts, read 1,911,170 times
The utility marker service is essential. We have a neighbor who dug into the gas line of all things...6" down. Just 6". Hadn't had it marked but the gas company was surprised to see how shallow their line was when they came out. I have seen yards lit up with pretty colors indicating the utility company. I don't know exactly how precise the markings can get. It's annoying that the paint colors can fade faster than one wants sometimes and that the guys walk over everything and markings can get on the landscaping...but better safe than sorry.

Old 09-14-2019, 12:30 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,338,167 times
It is interesting. Here the locator service will mark the path of electric and gas to the meter generally on the side of the garage. And the mains are virtually always in the street or the easement along it. Any gas or electric runs from the meters are the problem of the owner. No marking unless contracted with a private locator.

Sewers however are marked only to the T in the street and water lines only to the meter box generally in the sidewalk or front of the property. So to map the water and sewer you have to hire a private operator.

Cable and telephone are generally free form. Can be virtually anywhere at virtually any depth. The locator will mark the route to the house.

Old 09-14-2019, 07:22 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,765,093 times
Utilities are required to be 18" down which is way below roto-tilling depth.

We called for a ground-survey before putting in a fence, and they won't just scan your entire yard, they only scan where holes will be dug and then they tell you if you will hit a utility line along that line.

But as others have said, you should call. It will avoid liability if nothing else.

Old 09-14-2019, 08:57 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,432,012 times
It's a mixed bag. If you see big green boxes in people's front yards, every so many houses, they run out front. If these boxes run between the back yards of houses, the lines will come off the side of the house and run towards the back yard.

Get it located. It's FREE. Power lines are usually 3 feet underground (at least) but I'd avoid putting anything at all directly over the distribution lines. They can come through and dig them up for any reason, or no reason at all.

Old 09-14-2019, 09:47 PM

11,085 posts, read 17,530,236 times
I would definitely call BUD. I used to work with the state highway department and had to call BUD many times for work we were doing. Once you give them all the information, they will tell you all the utilities they will contact for you and also give you a list of who you personally need to contact. Usually it was the cable TV folks.
But it IS law to call them and they say to call 2 business days in advance. If you don't call, and hit a water line or underground power lines, you will be responsible for the cost of repairs. That includes the cost of the use of equpiment, the material it takes to repair it, and the hourly wage of all the workers on the job for the time it takes. And you better hope it's not after normal working hours because then they would be paid overtime which would also come out of your pocket.

Old 09-14-2019, 10:29 PM

2,373 posts, read 1,911,170 times
I have to say don't take the 18" down for granted. My neighbor across the street...he thought so too and hit the gas line at....6". Imagine that. Some crazy builders I guess.

Old 09-17-2019, 06:44 PM

2,759 posts, read 2,046,841 times
I am amazed at how many people have buried utility lines; that's rare around here. The vast majority of neighborhoods/towns/etc have electric, cable tv, and (any) landline phone wires atop utility poles and so they run from there to the house.

Public water lines do run underground from the street of course, as to natural gas lines in neighborhoods that have it. But the more typical heating fuel here is still oil, delivered by truck to the customer's on-premises tank (in basement, or next to the house either at ground level or buried next to the foundation.)

The utility poles in most neighborhoods run along the street/curb, although some have the poles running along rear property lines. Those are less common and most people don't like them there because if/when they need repair that means the power company (or cable/tv, or phone) repair crew has to come into one's backyard to do their thing. Its particularly nasty if the utility pole needs replacement.

Old 09-17-2019, 06:57 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,338,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
I am amazed at how many people have buried utility lines; that's rare around here. The vast majority of neighborhoods/towns/etc have electric, cable tv, and (any) landline phone wires atop utility poles and so they run from there to the house.

Public water lines do run underground from the street of course, as to natural gas lines in neighborhoods that have it. But the more typical heating fuel here is still oil, delivered by truck to the customer's on-premises tank (in basement, or next to the house either at ground level or buried next to the foundation.)

The utility poles in most neighborhoods run along the street/curb, although some have the poles running along rear property lines. Those are less common and most people don't like them there because if/when they need repair that means the power company (or cable/tv, or phone) repair crew has to come into one's backyard to do their thing. Its particularly nasty if the utility pole needs replacement.
Interesting. I have owned homes since the late 1960s. Not one has had above ground utilities.

I did grow up with them. In fact we had the actual local lines in the front of the house and the distribution system in the back.

In most modern tracts they open a utility ditch and put everything in it. Water, electric gas, cable, phone. Only the sewer is not there. I presume because the sewer has slope requirements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden