U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2019, 03:11 PM

450 posts, read 237,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I'm just wondering how the lettuce and kale will do.. Anyone have experience with these in planters?

I'd just think the first time the temps go below freezing, they'd be done?
I have not grown lettuce or kale in planters but I bet they will do OK where you are at. I'm in Alaska and have knocked snow off kale in order to pick it before. I've also had lettuce survive the winter buried under snow. However, neither will grow much this time of year because our days are so short in winter up here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2019, 05:53 AM

56 posts, read 4,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt-lover L.A.M. View Post
If you live in Zone 7, have hot summers, aren't in an arid region and hate the winter grays and browns, here are some plants I'd recommend trying:
--Winter Pansy (plant in October)
--Needle Palm (plant in April or May)
--Dwarf Palmetto (plant in April or May)
--Southern Magnolia (plant in April)
--Crimson Clover (plant in October)
--Winter Wheat (plant in October)
--Eastern White Pine (plant in mid December to mid March)
--Adam's Needle Yucca (plant in April or May)
--Eastern Prickly Pear (plant in April or May)
--River Cane (plant in April)
--Norway Spruce (plant in mid December to mid March)
--Mountain Laurel (plant in April or May)
--American Holly (plant in April or May)
--Great Rhododendron (plant in April or May)

I hope this helps!

EDIT: You could also leave henbit alone whenever it finds its way, unless of course it's truly threatening your pansies. They're not horribly invasive like most other weeds, and they have some amazing flowers in the cooler half of the year.
I agree with your suggestion dude, winter season is upcoming season after Monsoon so your farm doest have a shortage of water.

Old 11-29-2019, 02:40 PM

19,565 posts, read 8,812,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
I have not grown lettuce or kale in planters but I bet they will do OK where you are at. I'm in Alaska and have knocked snow off kale in order to pick it before. I've also had lettuce survive the winter buried under snow. However, neither will grow much this time of year because our days are so short in winter up here.
I'm in the Puget Sound area, and the same is true here. The trick is to get them pretty well grown before the end of October or so. Also, I keep them under some kind of cover, to keep them being beaten to death by rain. Any extra frost protection is a bonus.

OP, here's some info that might prove useful - Growing Guides : Southern Exposure Seed Exchange, Saving the Past for the Future

Old Yesterday, 08:06 PM

39,732 posts, read 19,080,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Figs are very finicky and may not handle the temps.
I had a friend, Papa Mike, who was an old man....immigrant from Sicily. He used to tell me that when his family came over they dug up a fig tree and wrapped it and brought it over with them on the boat. They planted it in Providence (Federal Hill) behind their house. It survived and thrived. Papa Mike said it was the pride of the neighborhood. Every Fall before the ground froze....they would prune the tree and dig it out of the ground. They would wrap it in old blankets and clothes what ever they had...and bury it sideways under the ground. In the Spring they would dig it up and plant it upright. They kept that tree going for years and years....and it bore them wonderful figs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or