U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-15-2019, 04:44 PM
 
9,997 posts, read 7,617,010 times
Reputation: 12883

Advertisements

We did a garden in a few planters this summer at the office. Still getting plenty of tomatoes and jalapeno/ghost peppers in out of them.. But we're planning on putting trees in and to keep the planters in use over the winter.. I went out and picked up a few things to fill in the spaces and will get some more once the tomato and pepper plants end..



For the moment, I got fig trees and for the planters, some freckled lettuce and kale.. I've never grown things in the winter, so this is something of a test for me.. We don't generally have many days below freezing per year here (Upstate of SC).. I'm just wondering how the lettuce and kale will do.. Anyone have experience with these in planters?

I'd just think the first time the temps go below freezing, they'd be done?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-22-2019, 07:46 AM
 
Location: The Driftless Area, WI
3,135 posts, read 1,224,899 times
Reputation: 6961
Some plants, like lettuce, radishes, peas are cold weather crops. They can stand frost and even an occasional freeze. The biggest problem with a winter garden is the short daylight period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2019, 07:51 AM
 
Location: NC
6,898 posts, read 8,499,655 times
Reputation: 14529
My fig tree in NC is well over 10 ft tall and wide. Not a long term container plant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2019, 01:45 PM
 
Location: Coastal Georgia
38,095 posts, read 46,951,102 times
Reputation: 64209
I just bought myself a Persian Lime and potted it. I have no idea how hearty it is, so I will take it into my garage when there is a danger of frost. I’m in zone 8b, so we only get a few weeks below freezing, and I have some nice big sunny windows in my garage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2019, 06:29 PM
 
Location: Former LI'er Now Rehoboth Beach, DE
8,243 posts, read 11,059,535 times
Reputation: 8624
Figs are very finicky and may not handle the temps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2019, 09:37 AM
 
Location: Boonies of N. Alabama
2,817 posts, read 2,473,489 times
Reputation: 5043
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
My fig tree in NC is well over 10 ft tall and wide. Not a long term container plant.



OP is putting the lettuce and kale in the planters...not the fig tree.


For the moment, I got fig trees and for the planters, some freckled lettuce and kale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2019, 06:47 AM
 
Location: Coastal Georgia
38,095 posts, read 46,951,102 times
Reputation: 64209
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Figs are very finicky and may not handle the temps.
It’s sink or swim for my new fig tree. It’s in the ground, and will supposedly be alright outside here in 8b.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2019, 11:14 PM
 
Location: Mid-Atlantic
26,269 posts, read 25,007,794 times
Reputation: 32640
My friend's family had a fig tree in zone 6b. They bought a house with a mature fig in the yard. They had no idea what variety it was, but it was old. It was big enough to climb and sit on the branches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2019, 06:36 AM
 
Location: Putnam County, TN
395 posts, read 83,369 times
Reputation: 244
If you live in Zone 7, have hot summers, aren't in an arid region and hate the winter grays and browns, here are some plants I'd recommend trying:
--Winter Pansy (plant in October)
--Needle Palm (plant in April or May)
--Dwarf Palmetto (plant in April or May)
--Southern Magnolia (plant in April)
--Crimson Clover (plant in October)
--Winter Wheat (plant in October)
--Eastern White Pine (plant in mid December to mid March)
--Adam's Needle Yucca (plant in April or May)
--Eastern Prickly Pear (plant in April or May)
--River Cane (plant in April)
--Norway Spruce (plant in mid December to mid March)
--Mountain Laurel (plant in April or May)
--American Holly (plant in April or May)
--Great Rhododendron (plant in April or May)

I hope this helps!

EDIT: You could also leave henbit alone whenever it finds its way, unless of course it's truly threatening your pansies. They're not horribly invasive like most other weeds, and they have some amazing flowers in the cooler half of the year.

Last edited by Sun Belt-lover L.A.M.; 11-06-2019 at 06:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2019, 02:08 AM
 
Location: USA
56 posts, read 4,059 times
Reputation: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt-lover L.A.M. View Post
If you live in Zone 7, have hot summers, aren't in an arid region and hate the winter grays and browns, here are some plants I'd recommend trying:
--Winter Pansy (plant in October)
--Needle Palm (plant in April or May)
--Dwarf Palmetto (plant in April or May)
--Southern Magnolia (plant in April)
--Crimson Clover (plant in October)
--Winter Wheat (plant in October)
--Eastern White Pine (plant in mid December to mid March)
--Adam's Needle Yucca (plant in April or May)
--Eastern Prickly Pear (plant in April or May)
--River Cane (plant in April)
--Norway Spruce (plant in mid December to mid March)
--Mountain Laurel (plant in April or May)
--American Holly (plant in April or May)
--Great Rhododendron (plant in April or May)

I hope this helps!

EDIT: You could also leave henbit alone whenever it finds its way, unless of course it's truly threatening your pansies. They're not horribly invasive like most other weeds, and they have some amazing flowers in the cooler half of the year.
Good Dude this is the best ever list you have provide and much helpful for everyone, now we found which tree we have to grow in which Seasonal time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top