U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2019, 07:17 PM

517 posts, read 393,630 times

Advertisements

I've a chance to get the start of such a vine very soon, but have been reading how invasive it is in the southeast. However, gardeners in places like Tuscon, AZ report very little to no trouble at all from it. I'm hving trouble locating any experiences of growing it in *California* *deserts,* though. I'd like to hear from people who have grown it for some time in the *Inland* *Empire*, what their experiences with it have been, and what their advice to other gardeners *here* is . . . Thank You!

Cat's Claw Creeper, Cat's Claw Trumpet Vine, Funnel Creeper

*Dolichandra unguis-cati*

https://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1769

Formerly known as *Macfadyena unguis-cati*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2019, 10:22 PM

7,927 posts, read 6,973,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Q&Lrn&Hlp View Post
I've a chance to get the start of such a vine very soon, but have been reading how invasive it is in the southeast....
Have you tried to find out if it's prohibited to grow it in California? I don't know if it is or not, but it definitely should be and I'm disappointed with Dave's Garden if they are selling it in the west or anywhere else on the North American continent. It's bad enough that the west has the invasive Himalayan killer brambles, let alone to be introducing a killer invasive like cats claw. It's unconscionable and irresponsible.

I'm going to suggest that you do some intensive research about just how invasive and destructive that plant is all over the world and how many forests and wildlife habitats it has decimated since being introduced in other countries, not just in the southeast USA. And then hopefully you'll reconsider and change your mind about growing it anywhere in California.

If that devil's weed gets a foothold from being spread by migrating birds throughout the western states and up into the PNW and further north the results would be catastrophic for the entire Pacific coast forestry industries, rainforests and other habitats from Northern California all the way up to Alaska. The impact on wildlife would be devastating. Yes, it can grow that far north in the west and if it gets loose and runs wild the western states can say 'bye bye' to the majestic giant California Redwoods and the Sequoias and giant Douglas firs and western red cedars just for starters.

Old 11-07-2019, 08:57 PM

517 posts, read 393,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Have you tried to find out if it's prohibited to grow it in California? I don't know if it is or not, but it definitely should be and I'm disappointed with Dave's Garden if they are selling it in the west or anywhere else on the North American continent. It's bad enough that the west has the invasive Himalayan killer brambles, let alone to be introducing a killer invasive like cats claw. It's unconscionable and irresponsible. . . .

Dave's Garden does *not* sell plants. It's an online forum where members from all over can share their gardening experiences, ask & answer questions, & donate articles on related subjects. They can also contact each other for trading seeds / cuttings / &/or plants, if they want. . . . Regarding this Cat's Claw, people living in arid desert areas & growing it, have shared that they do not have much if any trouble with it. . . . It sounds like you have, though! You'll be happy to know that many have voiced concerns about it in the Gardener's notes under info on it, here: https://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1769

Old 11-07-2019, 09:34 PM

19,309 posts, read 8,745,386 times
Before I planted something that I KNOW is a problem in other areas, I'd check my state's list of invasive plants.

For California, this is where to look - https://www.cal-ipc.org

Old 11-08-2019, 06:33 AM

12,398 posts, read 5,535,853 times
Cat's Claw serves a purpose as a landscape vine. It will cover a wall or fence rather quickly and provide a fast green screen right on a structure where none existed. It has the ability few other landscape vines have in So Cal and that is to be able to cling to almost any wall or surface without support no matter how smooth. It has beautiful yellow flowers in the spring as well. Cal trans uses or has used this plant to cover large block walls along freeways, including the 15 going through Mira Loma and Corona.

Southern CA in not the east coast or southeast. The plant needs moist soil in order to grow and grow quickly, something not naturally found in most parts of So Cal. It won't grow naturally without the addition of an irrigation system where climate is dry for 8 months of the year. It can be grown in hot dry deserts including the high desert of So Cal if it has an ample water supply. This vine is not anything unusual or prohibited here. In fact, you can walk into almost any nursery and find it for sale.

Last edited by marino760; 11-08-2019 at 06:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or