Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2008, 01:21 PM

287 posts, read 897,059 times

Advertisements

I Live in Phoenix, AZ. I planted my Turkey Fig back in the spring of 2003 and we've had great (copious) amounts of figs until this year. Usually by now we have tons of figs slowely ripening. Not a one on the tree and no signs that any will show up, either. In Phoenix leaves start popping out in Feb 'cause it warms up earlier here. It is very healthy looking, lots of nice green leaves and lots of new growth. Just no figs. Is it time to fertilize? If so what do I use? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2008, 01:35 PM

44,623 posts, read 61,603,272 times
Are you watering properly. Many problems exist from overwatering. What is your water schedule and how much water are you giving it? How about fertilization? Have you done that and what did you use? What do the leaves look like?

Old 04-18-2008, 01:36 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,447,211 times
I'm trying to remember, but I think over-fertilizing reduces the amount of figs you will get. So don't fertilize yet.

Did you cut the tree back during the last year?

Otherwise, just be patient. Sometimes the figlets don't appear with the first flush of leaves. I suspect you'll get figs eventually.

Old 04-18-2008, 01:43 PM

Phoenix soils have a low fertility rate, therefore a proper water and fertiliztion program is needed.
Here is a good site for answering all of your fig tree needs:
Home Garden Figs

Old 04-18-2008, 01:50 PM

I water 1-2x a week but we also have the runoff from the evap coolers running to it, too. The soil is never too damp around the tree. I don't think I've ever had a problem with over-watering anything here. The leaves are dark green, and there's several inches of new growth. I did trim it in December like I always do. It is now as big as the roof of the house.

Old 04-18-2008, 01:52 PM

Oh, and the only type of fertilizer I've ever used is burying the innards of the fish/the fish skeletons and any pets that die in the house get buried around the tree. Haven't done anything with fertilizer in quite a while, tho, as far as commercial stuff...

Old 04-18-2008, 04:37 PM

Fish stuff is good. You can buy fish emulsion, low in nitrogen to fertilize. Any low nitrogen fertilizer is good. I would highly recommend NOT letting the run off from the swamp cooler to water your tree or any other plant. Evap cooler water is extremely high in salt content and that is very detrimental to your plants. it can burn off your feeder roots as they are trying to grow. The desert areas of Phoenix are already high in salt content and you don't want to compound this problem. Right now, on an established tree, you should be watering once every 7-10 days deeply. That means you need to slowly water your plant until water reaches at least a depth of 24 inches out at the drip line. Here's a rule of thumb secret; when you water, take a piece of re-bar at least 2 1/2 feet long and push it into the soil at the drip line. When you meet resistance that tells you how far down you've watered. So if it goes past the 2 foot mark you've overwatered, if it goes less then you need to increase your water time.

Old 04-22-2008, 01:11 PM

Fig update: I see the fig buds coming in now and hopefully will have some yummy figs later. Thanks all for your help!

Old 04-22-2008, 01:25 PM

1,268 posts, read 1,134,942 times
Studies have been conducted and confirm that a new strain of a new mitochondrial virus is among us and is affecting fruit tree's. The cause? The AID's virus has evolved and has spread into the plantae kingdom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden