U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2019, 08:20 AM

4,355 posts, read 2,275,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I agree with others you should get your trees assessed by an arborist. None of your trees or their branches should be able to reach your house if they happen to fall down. Get him to list the names of all the trees so you can research their habits and productivity. Be prepared for him to suggest to have to take down too tall non-fruit productive trees, i.e. maples and pines and others.

Your crab apple trees can be topped and pruned/thinned back if they're too tall. If you have any other kinds of fruit, nut or ornamental flowering trees they can likely be topped and pruned back too if they need it. If you end up having to have several too tall trees removed and want to replace them with some more trees, consider replacing them with all fruit bearing trees.
Please don't advise anyone to have a tree "topped". It's one of the quickest ways to kill a tree or damage its growth irreparably. Any reputable arborist will NOT "top" a tree.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2019, 08:59 AM
Status: "Policy update from HQ; lying is now perfectly acceptable" (set 5 days ago)

21,764 posts, read 22,597,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
Have an arborist come and assess the health of your trees. Cutting them halfway is not a thing. DOn't do that.
depends on which half you remove I suppose

Old 11-07-2019, 09:33 AM

39 posts, read 5,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasie123 View Post
We have these many trees surrounding our home within 35 to 40 ft. We have mostly Pines, Crab Apple, Maples, and others that I forgot their names. We had them planted when we had the house built 41 years' ago, most of them in raised beds due to the CLAY factor.

They have grown to be very tall, and healthy, however, with all these climate changes, we are beginning to feel uncomfortable every time there is a storm coming from the Pacific Northwest to the East Coast, zone 7. And are afraid the winds, may topple some of them upon the house. We have underground electricity wiring, so that is a plus, as far as outages is concerned. But these storms are getting more and more vicious. This Spring, we had four months' of almost constant rain, following three months' of 85-90 degree temperatures. The sprinkler does not reach all of them, so we do them by hand.

Should I have them cut half-way, feed them? Thanking you in advance.......

the only thing that can really help is to stop driving a car, and learn to "go green"

Old 11-07-2019, 09:47 AM

24,902 posts, read 31,051,928 times
Quote:
We have these many trees surrounding our home within 35 to 40 ft. We have mostly Pines, Crab Apple, Maples, and others that I forgot their names. We had them planted when we had the house built 41 years' ago, most of them in raised beds due to the CLAY factor.

They have grown to be very tall, and healthy, however, with all these climate changes, we are beginning to feel uncomfortable every time there is a storm coming from the Pacific Northwest to the East Coast, zone 7. And are afraid the winds, may topple some of them upon the house. We have underground electricity wiring, so that is a plus, as far as outages is concerned. But these storms are getting more and more vicious. This Spring, we had four months' of almost constant rain, following three months' of 85-90 degree temperatures. The sprinkler does not reach all of them, so we do them by hand.

if it were me, i would cut down any tree that i consider a risk to my house.

Old 11-07-2019, 11:03 AM

8,023 posts, read 7,023,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Please don't advise anyone to have a tree "topped". It's one of the quickest ways to kill a tree or damage its growth irreparably. Any reputable arborist will NOT "top" a tree.

I'd agree with you about that 98% of the time for all trees other than fruit and nut trees. However, in the case of fruit trees if an individual homeowner is faced with only two options to deal with a dangerously overgrown fruit tree - to either (1) top and prune back the fruit tree or else (2) kill and remove the fruit tree entirely - then I'll recommend #1 topping and pruning as the first option to try to at least give the fruit tree a 50/50 chance at continued survival instead of #2 which is a 100% certain death sentence.

Old 11-18-2019, 02:06 AM

56 posts, read 4,310 times
Quote:

No dude let them grow it look so beautiful and Nice, it's very beautiful, it gives you Fruits, Cool shades, Wood, etc many more if you have many problems then cut using Helicopter cutter make some creative cutting.

Old 11-26-2019, 06:12 PM

1,227 posts, read 561,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joesemos View Post
No dude let them grow it look so beautiful and Nice, it's very beautiful, it gives you Fruits, Cool shades, Wood, etc many more if you have many problems then cut using Helicopter cutter make some creative cutting.

What is a DUDE? The name of a tree?

Old 11-27-2019, 12:21 PM

8,023 posts, read 7,023,456 times
Quote:
What is a DUDE? The name of a tree?

Dude is just a slang word meaning human person, usually but not always a male.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dude

Example - "Hey, man, nice to see you, how are you doing?!" = "Hey, dude, nice to see you, how are you doing?!"

Old 11-27-2019, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Dude is just a slang word meaning human person, usually but not always a male.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dude

Example - "Hey, man, nice to see you, how are you doing?!" = "Hey, dude, nice to see you, how are you doing?!"

Thank you, Zoisite.....nice to hear from you....

Old 11-30-2019, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Talk to the state agency that deals with preparedness, and/or an experienced arborist.

My own guess is that you should cut down the trees that have shallowest root systems, and that are closest to house.
The trees that are near my house, 35 ft. from the house, are Pines. They look very healthy, since I feed them every year. Huge trunks, and wide-spread branches. Pines start at the bottom very robust, if they are taken care off, and rise above 70 ft. Toward the top, they are usually thinner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden