U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Yesterday, 01:03 AM

5,497 posts, read 2,662,447 times

Advertisements

I have blue spruce pine cones. They're free. Do you want them? I have to shovel them out of the eavestroughs every fall. The trees are 40-50 feet tall with a bed of pine cones. There's no guarantee that they'll thrive in a different climate, but they are hardy.
Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 10:18 AM

11,178 posts, read 14,817,122 times
The Memphis Botanic Garden includes a Colorado Blue Spruce in it's conifer garden so apparently they do well enough in even the hottest part of TN. If you could arrange a visit I think it would be a good resource for you.
https://assets.speakcdn.com/assets/1..._tree_list.pdf

Old Yesterday, 11:01 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,981,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
I have blue spruce pine cones. They're free. Do you want them? I have to shovel them out of the eavestroughs every fall. The trees are 40-50 feet tall with a bed of pine cones. There's no guarantee that they'll thrive in a different climate, but they are hardy.

That's a very kind offer.... but for the protection of both of you if OP agrees to the offer you better both find out first what international requirements are and if the live seeds are restricted, prohibited or controlled and if it's legal for you to ship them across the border. It might prove problematic because of all the plant products protection/restriction laws in place and the need for some of them to be certified free of active live pests/diseases.

If it isn't legal and you try anyway, when the package goes through the imaging machines the authorities will open and confiscate the contents of the package. I don't know if there would be a fine or not.

I know it's a hassle but better to be safe than be sorry. Here's the postal website to find out what the restrictions are on plant products and live seeds being transported across boundaries from Canada to USA:

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpc/en/bus...trictions.page?

Old Yesterday, 07:13 PM

358 posts, read 72,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
No thanks, but that was a kind and unexpected offer.

Old Today, 01:06 AM

1,377 posts, read 925,835 times
I have been gardening for a lot of years. Even did the Rutger's Master Gardener program for four years. I now focus on indigenous plants. The only exception is forsythia which I use as a fence. And when I am long gone I am sure the forsythia will be gone as well and indigenous will have taken over.

My indigenous focus is Ilex Opaca (American holly) and Pinus Rigida (pitch pine). For the holly I use berries and transplants. For the pine I use transplants.

I had a blue spruce on the property (southern NJ) when I moved in. Problematic even under irrigation and it went into a slow decline and failed. My grandfather had a phenomenal stand of blue spruce on his property in northern WI. Zero required care.

Old Today, 12:59 PM

3,107 posts, read 2,072,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt-lover L.A.M. View Post
It wouldn't have survived even this long if not for us. Those bagworms are horrible, not due to heat but due to humidity.

Blue Spruce are not adapted to humid-climate pests (even mild-summer ones) like Norway Spruce because they're from arid climates (mainly Colorado, New Mexico and Wyoming).
I guess that explains the bag worm infestation problems in blue spruce in Indianapolis area then
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden