U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2019, 06:43 AM

358 posts, read 72,224 times

Advertisements

I have one that's around maybe 8 to 11 feet tall. We've had it for years. I've heard Blue Spruce usually start bearing cones between 5 and 12 feet tall, but mine hasn't started yet. I'd like to collect seeds for my nursery whenever it does bear some.

Any tips? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2019, 11:26 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,981,697 times
Okay, you heard wrong about tree size being a factor in spruce cone production. The size and height of blue spruce trees has nothing to do with when their cone production starts, its the AGE and the sexual maturity of the tree that counts. So in general, blue spruces (whether or not they are stunted or grafted dwarf species or giant species or all other sized species in between) begin to reach sexual maturity around about the age of 18 - 23 years old.

So say age 20 on average to start producing - give or take a bit depending on the spruce species - and after that they may continue producing until age 150 years old or thereabouts. In some cases much longer, as I remember a big blue spruce growing in a town square up north that was over 220 years old and was still producing both male and female cones.

And don't forget that the geographical location and the environmental growing conditions and climate are important too since growing conditions can vary from location to location and that can also cause variations in the onset of sexual maturity of the trees and their ages of peak production. If you live in Tennessee then I suspect that your blue spruce will be slow to mature because of the climate there being a bit too warm for the preference of blue spruces.

This website has some more details about the fertility cycles and the male and female cone productions of blue spruces: Blue Spruce Picea pungens

Last edited by Zoisite; 11-06-2019 at 12:15 PM..

Old 11-06-2019, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
If you live in Tennessee then I suspect that your blue spruce will be slow to mature because of the climate there being a bit too warm for the preference of blue spruces.
I do. And I am indeed aware that while they're very heat tolerant, they still usually grow in places with colder winters to say the least. Not to mention they prefer arid (even desert) climates, while we're a humid subtropical one.

Old 11-07-2019, 12:26 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,981,697 times
Habitat: Blue Spruce Picea pungens

The habitat information above is good but I noticed on the map that there are some places NOT listed as habitat for blue spruces which are in fact good, common habitat for them and they do grow there. For example British Columbia, Yukon and parts of Alaska and Washington are not on the map but blue spruces do indeed grow in higher elevations in those provinces and states.

Old 11-17-2019, 05:10 PM

3,107 posts, read 2,072,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt-lover L.A.M. View Post
I have one that's around maybe 8 to 11 feet tall. We've had it for years. I've heard Blue Spruce usually start bearing cones between 5 and 12 feet tall, but mine hasn't started yet. I'd like to collect seeds for my nursery whenever it does bear some.

You’ll be lucky if that blue spruce lives long enough to produce cones, I heard that Colorado blue spruce are very intolerant of humid subtropical climates.

Old 11-17-2019, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isleofpalms85 View Post
You’ll be lucky if that blue spruce lives long enough to produce cones, I heard that Colorado blue spruce are very intolerant of humid subtropical climates.
It wouldn't have survived even this long if not for us. Those bagworms are horrible, not due to heat but due to humidity.

Blue Spruce are not adapted to humid-climate pests (even mild-summer ones) like Norway Spruce because they're from arid climates (mainly Colorado, New Mexico and Wyoming).

Old 11-17-2019, 09:18 PM

5,497 posts, read 2,662,447 times
Quote:

Are you looking for Blue Spruce pine cones? Are seeds hard to find?

Old 11-17-2019, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Are you looking for Blue Spruce pine cones? Are seeds hard to find?
I'm waiting for my Blue Spruce to get big enough to bear some.

Old 11-17-2019, 09:23 PM

5,497 posts, read 2,662,447 times
Quote:
I'm waiting for my Blue Spruce to get big enough to bear some.
I understood that. I was just curious why you want seeds for your nursery. Are you waiting for seeds from this particular spruce tree because it has thrived in that climate, or are you just looking for blue spruce seeds for free.

Old 11-17-2019, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
I understood that. I was just curious why you want seeds for your nursery. Are you waiting for seeds from this particular spruce tree because it has thrived in that climate, or are you just looking for blue spruce seeds for free.
Kind of both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden