U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2019, 05:59 AM

229 posts, read 508,898 times

Advertisements

I'm in the north Georgia area. The Bermuda grass I've got is rather bare in some patches, sort of like the part of a man's head when he starts balding.

I pay a company to come out 7x a year to fertilize and control weed. Just had the fall treatment done (Pre emergent I believe). I have a bag of scotts in the garage and a spreader. Will it help to do my own treatment to improve these patches come springtime? Would /could I be doing any harm?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2019, 06:34 AM

29,579 posts, read 64,099,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2020 View Post
I'm in the north Georgia area.
I pay a company to come out 7x a year to fertilize and control weed.
The Bermuda grass I've got is rather bare in some patches...
Your service is dropping the ball.

Quote:
Will it help to do my own...?
I'd suggest that you do it all yourself.
The first step as always: Take soil sample(s) to the County Extension Service.
Add what they determine to be missing/short. Don't just guess at it.
You'll likely be doing some top dressing and over-seeding too.

Old 11-09-2019, 10:09 AM

229 posts, read 508,898 times
Well I should've mentioned I've gone thru different providers. My current one has made three visits so far starting 5 months ago or so

Old 11-09-2019, 02:45 PM

29,579 posts, read 64,099,883 times
Quote:
My current one has made three visits so far starting 5 months ago or so
Don't they see the bare spots? Aren't they looking?
At the least they should be pestering you to charge extra for what's needed.

I say do it (these easy tasks) yourself.

Old 11-09-2019, 05:38 PM

38,012 posts, read 46,820,052 times
I know, right? Doesn't your company notice that the results are poor? I would ask a supervisory representative from the company to evaluate, and see what they say. Perhaps you need overseeding of a different kind of grass.

Grass that is the proper fit for your soil and climate is not that hard...when it’s right, you can’t stop it. Think of how weeds grow through a crack in the pavement. We are in south Georgia and have centipede grass. We have a lovely, lush carpet of grass. The only drawback of centipede is that it turns tan for the winter. If you are expecting a northern lawn in the south, perhaps you need to adjust your expectations.

Old 11-11-2019, 05:50 AM

1,365 posts, read 921,736 times
Get in touch with your local agriculture extension service (University of Georgia Extension). See what free resources they offer. Fact sheets, soil sample, grass seed selection, fertilizer selection, maybe lime, etc.

I have been doing my lawn for over 20 years. The services were all over fertilizing, using cheap contractor grade seed. I was seeing big bills with poor results.

Below is link to University Of Georgia Extension - Bermuda grass culture -

https://extension.uga.edu/publicatio...ml?number=B911

Below your county extension offices -

https://extension.uga.edu/county-offices.html

Old 11-12-2019, 05:24 AM

15,009 posts, read 12,207,482 times
Quote:
Well I should've mentioned I've gone thru different providers. My current one has made three visits so far starting 5 months ago or so
Here is a YouTube video on how to collect a soil sample:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELk4v-SSC68

They say to take the bag of soil to your county extension service. My county extension service always gave me the soil test kit to send away to my State college. It is a nominal fee of just a few dollars. Just make sure you take samples from all over your lawn and not just in one place. Then mix them all together so the test will be more accurate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or