U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2019, 04:01 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,981,643 times

Advertisements

First time dog owner here now - male lab. Noticing burning marks in the lawn now from pee time.

Any tips/tricks/products that could work to stop/reverse the damage. Know about moving him around the lawn instead of one spot, and know about diluting with water right after. Challenge with the water is that we can’t leave the garden hose active during the winter months. Was curious of suggestions on anything I can use to put on the lawn in the already damaged areas to reverse the damage?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2019, 05:44 PM

1,385 posts, read 928,037 times
From my experience it just going to take time to grow back in.

Suggest you find another place for pooch..

Old 11-13-2019, 06:42 AM

8,228 posts, read 11,027,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
First time dog owner here now - male lab. Noticing burning marks in the lawn now from pee time.

Any tips/tricks/products that could work to stop/reverse the damage. Know about moving him around the lawn instead of one spot, and know about diluting with water right after. Challenge with the water is that we can’t leave the garden hose active during the winter months. Was curious of suggestions on anything I can use to put on the lawn in the already damaged areas to reverse the damage?
Either come up with a designated area for the dog to go or embrace it as part of the experience of being a dog owner. You of course could walk him, away from that area. Maybe, it is just me, but I have reached the stage in my life where I view these things as things only I notice. I too had a male lab for 12 years, so I do know what you are talking about. My back yard looked like a mine field at times, but, generally he would repeatedly hit one or two spots. Lawns grow back, the problem is the high nitrogen that is contained in their urine actually burn the grass, just like if you happen to drop too much fertilizer on the lawn. You can add some baking soda to the water or lime but like you said following the dog with a water bucket is to convenient.

Old 11-13-2019, 07:37 AM

38,066 posts, read 46,868,297 times
I agree, it’s just a consequence of having a dog. Our little dachshund doesnt do much damage but when the big granddogs come, they leave dead spots in the lawn. The spots recover on their own.

Old 11-13-2019, 08:35 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
30,884 posts, read 56,290,952 times
The best option is top provide an area with gravel, and train the dog to use it. Easier to pick upo after, and just hose it down once in a while to keep away the smell.

Old 11-13-2019, 02:25 PM

23,520 posts, read 30,134,591 times
Just be thankful that the dog uses the lawn instead of the living room carpet.

Old 11-13-2019, 08:32 PM

1,967 posts, read 2,195,411 times
Urine is high in nitrogen, it's actually good for the plants but the problem is that urine is concentrated and the grass is getting burned. If you hit the pee with some water from the hose the urine will be diluted and instead of a dead spot you'll have a greener spot where the grass is a little taller. But you have to dilute it pretty quick after the 'fertilizer' hits the grass.

Old 11-14-2019, 08:09 AM

1,386 posts, read 439,255 times
Also lime helps. https://www.hunker.com/13405107/how-...g-urine-damage

Old 11-14-2019, 04:13 PM

70,897 posts, read 53,230,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post

Congrats and enjoy. They teach you a lot about patience.

Winter months grass is dormant and ground is frozen somewhat so won't have same burning effect as warmer months. Also don't forget, snow cover is good. You can always carry a bottle of water out there with you but that's not practical. (FYI.. please be attentive to salt which burns their paws or frost bite, watch the signs)

I know the situation well...what I did was......appreciate having a dog more than the Aesthetics of my back lawn.

Once in a while I'd throw some extra lime in the spot in spring, then add soil, then reseed, mostly just dealt with it and did come back. They wont pee in same spot over and over again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
...or embrace it as part of the experience of being a dog owner .

This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
You of course could walk him, away from that area. .

If someone wants to prioritize their lawn over their baby (dog) then they'll have to find another path but I'm pretty sure the dog won't hold it in because he can't pee on the lawn. lol Also, nice to have a dog loose in the yard as opposed to attached to the hip at all times.

Old Today, 08:21 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,981,643 times
Thanks all, I’m willing to pay the small price for the joy he brings to my kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden