U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2019, 02:28 AM

387 posts, read 79,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
The OP mentioned hunting; but hunting has seasons and limitations. Poaching has serious fines and sometimes jail time.
Precisely. I only tried to convince my dad to do it during deer season; I knew he'd be hunting somewhere for the season (as he does every season) and unsuccessfully tried to convince him to do it there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2019, 07:36 AM

15,063 posts, read 12,246,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt-lover L.A.M. View Post
Precisely. I only tried to convince my dad to do it during deer season; I knew he'd be hunting somewhere for the season (as he does every season) and unsuccessfully tried to convince him to do it there.
There is a possibility that you will have no deer in our back yards in the near future. Deer with Chronic Wasting Disease is spreading quickly throughout the US: https://www.usgs.gov/centers/nwhc/sc...center_objects. It is possible that it could get so severe that game commissions across the US will cull the herds.

Old 11-22-2019, 09:17 AM

2,813 posts, read 2,469,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post

Only thing that’s worked for us - clear fishing line. If you can run a perimeter around your area where you know they come from with clear fishing line at about your knee level - it might work for you too. I bought some 4lb test at Walmart and ran a perimeter around the area they kept attacking. Checked it daily, it never was broken and we were able to finally have some flowers.

My understanding is they can’t see the line when they approach, but will feel it brush up against their legs, which they are extremely sensitive about and want to protect over all else, and it freaks them out and they run the other way.

I actually bought some to use but didn't I was afraid I'd end up with wounded and hurting deer out there. Afraid a skittish deer would get tangled and break a leg or something. As much as I detest having them around here, I don't want them suffering. Not a problem??

Also, on the bb gun thingy....when we lived in the forest we had to actually put down a few animals that had been shot with bbs and were severely infected. Only a large dog that showed up we didn't. We took him to the vet and they dug out the bb from it's hind quarter and treated him with a lot of antibiotics, etc. and his leg and foot were about 3x's the size of the others. Vet said he would have been dead in a few days. He turned out to be a great pet.

Not just trying to put a downer on the bb gun thing but, it is something to think about or consider if it breaks the skin.

Old 11-22-2019, 11:50 AM

5,090 posts, read 4,316,061 times
I'm not familiar with your particular type of pine tree, but deer will eat the long needles of pine if they are a soft needle--as will cattle. In cattle it can cause pine needje abortion if ingested at the wromg time of year. Typically if you have salt & mineral blocks out, they will not eat the needles. However, check your state laws because it may be illegal to put out mineral & salt for wildlife.

Old 11-22-2019, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
There is a possibility that you will have no deer in our back yards in the near future. Deer with Chronic Wasting Disease is spreading quickly throughout the US: https://www.usgs.gov/centers/nwhc/sc...center_objects. It is possible that it could get so severe that game commissions across the US will cull the herds.
I know. I've been worried that someone I know may eat the meat of an infected deer and get the disease themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
I'm not familiar with your particular type of pine tree, but deer will eat the long needles of pine if they are a soft needle--as will cattle. In cattle it can cause pine needje abortion if ingested at the wromg time of year. Typically if you have salt & mineral blocks out, they will not eat the needles. However, check your state laws because it may be illegal to put out mineral & salt for wildlife.
It's illegal to deliberately feed wildlife in Tennessee, with only two exceptions that I'm aware of:
--Bird feeders that deer cannot reach. We have many of these, as does mom's mom.
--Specialized gardens specifically for wildlife to eat the plants or just for winter greenery. Dad calls these "food plots" and grows some.

Old 11-22-2019, 10:12 PM

2,393 posts, read 1,986,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
I actually bought some to use but didn't I was afraid I'd end up with wounded and hurting deer out there. Afraid a skittish deer would get tangled and break a leg or something. As much as I detest having them around here, I don't want them suffering. Not a problem??

Also, on the bb gun thingy....when we lived in the forest we had to actually put down a few animals that had been shot with bbs and were severely infected. Only a large dog that showed up we didn't. We took him to the vet and they dug out the bb from it's hind quarter and treated him with a lot of antibiotics, etc. and his leg and foot were about 3x's the size of the others. Vet said he would have been dead in a few days. He turned out to be a great pet.

Not just trying to put a downer on the bb gun thing but, it is something to think about or consider if it breaks the skin.
I use 4lb test line, it will break if walked through, but deer meander up to their food, so it’s strong enough to get their attention yet weak enough to not get them tangled up.

Mine is called an air soft gun. Not a bb so to speak and wouldn’t break the skin unless shot at about 2 feet away. It’s like a bug bite, bee sting. In my opinion, deer are wild animals, they need to have a sense of fear of humans. I simply cannot have them being so comfortable that they actually come into our attached garage.

Old 11-22-2019, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Mine is called an air soft gun. Not a bb so to speak and wouldn’t break the skin unless shot at about 2 feet away. It’s like a bug bite, bee sting.
Where do you get one? How much do they cost? What do they look like? How do you load them?

Old 11-23-2019, 08:28 AM

2,813 posts, read 2,469,392 times
Quote:
I use 4lb test line, it will break if walked through, but deer meander up to their food, so it’s strong enough to get their attention yet weak enough to not get them tangled up.

Good to know. Like I said, I was going to try the same but wasn't sure. Now I know.

Quote:
Mine is called an air soft gun. Not a bb so to speak and wouldn’t break the skin unless shot at about 2 feet away. It’s like a bug bite, bee sting. In my opinion, deer are wild animals, they need to have a sense of fear of humans. I simply cannot have them being so comfortable that they actually come into our attached garage.

That's good. I know what an airsoft is... but you had said bb gun so that's why I commented. I might get one myself... hadn't thought about it. I agree.. can't have them in there. Like I said, I have to run them off every.single.day. They're so not scared I could probably saddle them up and ride them off the property.

Old 11-23-2019, 03:02 PM

15,063 posts, read 12,246,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt-lover L.A.M. View Post
I know. I've been worried that someone I know may eat the meat of an infected deer and get the disease themselves.
Right now our CDC does not know if Chronic Wasting Disease can be spread to humans from deer: https://www.cdc.gov/prions/cwd/transmission.html. But the evidence points to that possibility.

Old 11-23-2019, 05:57 PM

1,395 posts, read 672,699 times
30-06
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or