U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2019, 12:22 AM

387 posts, read 79,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbkr5 View Post
30-06
What's that supposed to mean?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2019, 06:50 AM

2,813 posts, read 2,469,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbkr5 View Post
30-06

can you say... inside city limits?

Old 11-24-2019, 11:56 AM

7,995 posts, read 7,007,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt-lover L.A.M. View Post
What's that supposed to mean?

It means a caliber of hunting rifle. And it's bad advice for your situation so don't take it seriously. Ask your dad to explain to you what a 30.06 is.

Old 11-24-2019, 02:49 PM

2,636 posts, read 1,371,241 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, fencing will not work. I seriously doubt my parents would pay for a high enough fence, and it'd be difficult anyways because we'd need to do it on a sloped, forested area and add two gates for the hiking trail.

I don't plant anything that isn't protected by a fence. Period. The only things I plant out in the open are things that deer don't eat. Gardening should be fun, not frustrating.

Old 11-24-2019, 08:32 PM

387 posts, read 79,249 times
Well, I've thought of something that could be, although inconvenient in the short term, good for my planned nursery in the long run.

I've heard that deer will not enter areas that are surrounded by a hedge (I looked it up to be sure) because they can't see over it. I already planned to surround my plant farm by a hedge of Needle Palms (itself part of the farm) once I buy the land for the farm and shop, which could potentially keep the whole farm even safer from deer than a normal hedge (I got the idea to keep intruders out). In the meantime, I could grow my pines on the porch and/or indoors, moving them into the ground if they get too big for the house and/or big enough to be safe from deer before I buy that land (which some probably will, fast as they grow).

What do you think of this idea?

Old 11-25-2019, 04:25 AM

15,063 posts, read 12,246,218 times
Quote:
Well, I've thought of something that could be, although inconvenient in the short term, good for my planned nursery in the long run.

I've heard that deer will not enter areas that are surrounded by a hedge (I looked it up to be sure) because they can't see over it. I already planned to surround my plant farm by a hedge of Needle Palms (itself part of the farm) once I buy the land for the farm and shop, which could potentially keep the whole farm even safer from deer than a normal hedge (I got the idea to keep intruders out). In the meantime, I could grow my pines on the porch and/or indoors, moving them into the ground if they get too big for the house and/or big enough to be safe from deer before I buy that land (which some probably will, fast as they grow).

What are you going to use as a hedge? To my knowledge there are only two totally deer resistant shrubs: the Japanese Andromeda and English Boxwood (the variety that has rounded glossy leaves and smells like cat urine). Boxwood grows faster than the Andromeda; but has a disease that can damage or kill it off (Volutella canker). Both would not be high enough to block a deer's sight for decades. However, if you 'farmed' only deer resistant shrubs like these two, then you would not have to worry about a fence!

Deer are not especially fond of holly; but they will nip the new growths from time to time.

About fencing and deer: Deer have been known to jump 10' and 12' foot high fencing; but 6' high fencing will keep most out. Deer do not like to jump into small garden squares where they feel trapped (10'X10' or smaller). Even 4' or 5' foot fencing can keep most deer out of these smaller squares (but I would never say never). To protect your trees from buck rubs; 4' to 5' high fencing or wraps should be sufficient.

I used to be able to count 50 to 75 deer around my house almost any time I looked. Now I have 6 to 8 that hang around all the time. Deer are very curious what we do outside; as long as you do not threaten them. If you take a chainsaw out and cut a tree down; they will be right there to eat the leaves after you leave. You are in their environment and they are not in yours. They will check out what you are planting and sample. I was told years ago to plant marigolds to protect my garden. Supposedly deer do not like the smell of marigolds. So my deer came along and ate the heads off all my marigold or they simply pulled them out the ground. It was like telling me not to plant any more because they wanted a food they preferred!

Many people thought they were smarter than our wildlife and their gardens and farms have failed. You are heading down a long, hard, road.

Old 11-25-2019, 08:19 AM

Quote:

Deer here ate 3 of my 7' hedges this past summer. Some are the olive leaf..not sure what the others are .. they have those 2" thorns all over them. Hedges haven't stopped them here.

If they're tall/wide enough, it might go a long way in preventing them from getting into the yard if you leave no gaps, but it won't necessarily stop them from eating their way in.

Last edited by writerwife; 11-25-2019 at 08:29 AM..

Old 11-25-2019, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
I don't plant anything that isn't protected by a fence. Period. The only things I plant out in the open are things that deer don't eat. Gardening should be fun, not frustrating.

There isn't too much that a deer won't eat if it's hungry.

My back is fenced although I'm getting it replaced with an 8' fence because the one there now doesn't deter them in the least.

My front yard, with my landscaping (especially the foundation plantings), in my neighborhood would look like crap if everything had a fence around it and there are city ordinances that forbid a fence around the front yard here over a certain height. So, as sound an idea as it is, it isn't always practical.

I plant as much deer resistant as possible, but as I've only been in this home for 1 yr, I'm working my way thru replacing other plants that they treat as candy (which is quite a bit).

Old 11-25-2019, 12:54 PM

2,636 posts, read 1,371,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
There isn't too much that a deer won't eat if it's hungry.
They don't eat my native ferns and foxgloves, so that's all I grow outside of my fence.

They tend to avoid smelly herbs, so you could try them.

Old 11-25-2019, 06:23 PM

15,063 posts, read 12,246,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
They don't eat my native ferns and foxgloves, so that's all I grow outside of my fence.

They tend to avoid smelly herbs, so you could try them.
This is what one of my yews and a 2' high rhododendron looked like I think back in 2012 when we had a heavy snowfall. If you notice the two small English Boxwoods in the back were not touched. The Yew was missing almost all its needles on its side and the poor little Rhododendron never made a comeback - even though they can survive rejuvenation pruning!

[IMG][/IMG]

To the commenter before; needles/thorns never stop a deer. Just try to plant unprotected roses! Hawthorn trees have 2" needles. But that doesn't stop the deer; it just makes eating more challenging!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or