U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old Yesterday, 12:25 AM
 
Location: Putnam County, TN
387 posts, read 79,249 times
Reputation: 244

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
What are you going to use as a hedge?
I'm not completely sure. Here are some contenders, which I may ultimately mix:
--Needle Palm. This is the most likely as they can grow in full sun, are of no interest to deer and have a defense (sharp needles) that would keep out intruders too.
--Colorado Spruce. Same as the Needle Palms, but I'm not sure I can count on something prone to bagworms and eventually liable to grow to tree size.
--American Holly. Once again, same as Needle Palm (except needles are replaced by hooks on leaves) but are liable to reach tree size.
--Mountain Laurel. Main problems are the lack of double-defense measures and inability to tolerate full sun.
--Dwarf Palmetto. Unlike the others listed here, I don't have these readily available in advance (even though I do plan to focus on them later in my career).
--Virginian Juniper. Same problems as Colorado Spruce, minus the bagworms.
--Prickly Pear Cactus. These would be far from reliable compared to the others, given that seeing over even mature ones would be extremely easy. They'd probably be better as a last line of defence than a distraction and/or barrier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old Yesterday, 03:35 AM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
15,063 posts, read 12,246,218 times
Reputation: 11314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt-lover L.A.M. View Post
I'm not completely sure. Here are some contenders, which I may ultimately mix:
--Needle Palm. This is the most likely as they can grow in full sun, are of no interest to deer and have a defense (sharp needles) that would keep out intruders too.
--Colorado Spruce. Same as the Needle Palms, but I'm not sure I can count on something prone to bagworms and eventually liable to grow to tree size.
--American Holly. Once again, same as Needle Palm (except needles are replaced by hooks on leaves) but are liable to reach tree size.
--Mountain Laurel. Main problems are the lack of double-defense measures and inability to tolerate full sun.
--Dwarf Palmetto. Unlike the others listed here, I don't have these readily available in advance (even though I do plan to focus on them later in my career).
--Virginian Juniper. Same problems as Colorado Spruce, minus the bagworms.
--Prickly Pear Cactus. These would be far from reliable compared to the others, given that seeing over even mature ones would be extremely easy. They'd probably be better as a last line of defence than a distraction and/or barrier.
I have no personal experience with the Needle Palms, Dwarf Palmetto, or Prickly Pear Cactus. I will tell you that the others would have problems. Colorado Spruce grow to 50' tall, they can be hooked by the buck when young and they are subject to the fungus Cytospora kunzei (which kills the branches from the ground up). Deer will still nip at the new growth on the Holly and it takes a long time for them to grow tall enough to make a great barrier. Mountain Laurel is one of our deer's favorite winter foods. Most of the ones around me have no leaves below four or five feet above the ground. The Virginian Juniper can almost be described as an 'invasive' since it takes over abandoned fields. It is also a host for the Cedar Apple Rust that will damage fruit trees. I have also had buck hook my Cedars when young.

My first choice for a high (deer proof) hedge would be the Japanese Andromeda. But it will take forever for them to grow 10 or 12 feet high. It took forty years for two of mine to reach that size and most gardeners do not have that patience - heck I will be dead long before I see another one grow that large.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 07:50 PM
 
Location: Putnam County, TN
387 posts, read 79,249 times
Reputation: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I have no personal experience with the Needle Palms, Dwarf Palmetto, or Prickly Pear Cactus. I will tell you that the others would have problems. Colorado Spruce grow to 50' tall, they can be hooked by the buck when young and they are subject to the fungus Cytospora kunzei (which kills the branches from the ground up). Deer will still nip at the new growth on the Holly and it takes a long time for them to grow tall enough to make a great barrier. Mountain Laurel is one of our deer's favorite winter foods. Most of the ones around me have no leaves below four or five feet above the ground. The Virginian Juniper can almost be described as an 'invasive' since it takes over abandoned fields. It is also a host for the Cedar Apple Rust that will damage fruit trees. I have also had buck hook my Cedars when young.

My first choice for a high (deer proof) hedge would be the Japanese Andromeda. But it will take forever for them to grow 10 or 12 feet high. It took forty years for two of mine to reach that size and most gardeners do not have that patience - heck I will be dead long before I see another one grow that large.
I guess Needle Palm it is, then. The others just didn't seem too reliable to begin with, and you've reinforced that belief. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 09:44 PM
 
Location: D.C.
2,393 posts, read 1,986,434 times
Reputation: 3722
My airsoft gun is nothing special, think I paid $15 via amazon for it. Looks like a 45 hand gun “a little disturbingly accurate if I’m to be honest, can’t believe it’s marketed towards kids”. It’ll shoot one of its little red plastic bb’s probably 300 feet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 12:51 PM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
15,063 posts, read 12,246,218 times
Reputation: 11314
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
My airsoft gun is nothing special, think I paid $15 via amazon for it. Looks like a 45 hand gun “a little disturbingly accurate if I’m to be honest, can’t believe it’s marketed towards kids”. It’ll shoot one of its little red plastic bb’s probably 300 feet.
If somebody sees you it could be considered hunting in some states and those fines could be considerable: What Does U.S. State Law Say About Airsoft Guns & Hunting? – AirSoftLounge. Always check your state laws before you do anything on your own. Just because it sounds like a great idea doesn't mean that it will be a great idea. Don't forget that everybody has a cellphone today and what you think is cute could come back with a million hits and some of those are from your game commission. Eyes are watching everything today.

Not only that; but you are talking about chasing deer out of 'their' territory and not yours. Even if you sting one in the butt; you are not there 24/7 and they will remember where their last meal came from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top