Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2019, 03:52 PM

1,056 posts, read 724,360 times

Advertisements

They're at it again. Two more of my pines suddenly lost all but a few of their needles, so they must be either dead or near death. I strongly suspect the deer are behind this; they took several last year and two over the summer.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2019, 04:21 PM

128 posts, read 143,356 times
I lost many young trees to deer during rutting season (or from their browsing), but I've learned a way to protect them and don't lose any anymore. I wrap them (put a "cage" around them) with 4-foot welded wire, like this from Home Depot: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...02EB/205960856, or cheaper here at Tractor Supply, Inc.:https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...t?cm_vc=-10005. You get more for your money if you buy in 100-foot rolls.

For my Hydrangea paniculata, I've had to double up two 3-foot wide cages to keep the deer off them, but 4-foot is enough for my pines and other evergreens.

Last edited by Schwartzmann; 11-19-2019 at 04:39 PM..

Old 11-19-2019, 06:20 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwartzmann View Post
I lost many young trees to deer during rutting season (or from their browsing), but I've learned a way to protect them and don't lose any anymore. I wrap them (put a "cage" around them) with 4-foot welded wire, like this from Home Depot: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...02EB/205960856, or cheaper here at Tractor Supply, Inc.:https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...t?cm_vc=-10005. You get more for your money if you buy in 100-foot rolls.

For my Hydrangea paniculata, I've had to double up two 3-foot wide cages to keep the deer off them, but 4-foot is enough for my pines and other evergreens.
I've had luck with wrapping some heavy duty aluminum foil around the trunks. The deer do not like the sound it makes.

Old 11-20-2019, 01:42 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
You could try making your own hot pepper spray (or buy pepper spray at a sporting goods store) and spray it on your pine saplings. It won't hurt the plants or birds (which are not sensitive to capsaicin) but deer and other nuisance animals and insects are sensitive to the irritating capsaicin in it. One taste or up close smell of it is usually all it takes to get the message across to them that it is NOT something they will want to eat.

If you make your own pepper spray you can have more control over the ultra-strength potency or milder diluted weakness of the solution, whereas with purchased pepper sprays you don't, you have to settle for what you get unless you can buy a variety of strengths and then it's more expensive.

Here's the recipes for making it yourself in accordance with the strength you want, with explanations for why it works. It's easy to make, just be careful to read all the directions and be safe about handling it so you don't get it on your skin or in your eyes when you're preparing it or spraying it: https://www.wikihow.com/Get-Rid-of-A...t-Pepper-Spray

I make different strengths of pepper spray solutions to spray in specific areas on the property where I don't want the occasional local deer, coyotes, skunks and raccoons scrounging or hanging out together at night, as well as on the grass along side the public sidewalks to deter dogs from doing their business on the lawns.

Old 11-20-2019, 07:18 AM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
Did they simply drop their needles or were they chewed on by deer? Needle drop isn't going to be caused by deer. It could be caused by various issues, from too much or too little water, poorly drained soil, or diseases such as white pine blister rust. Are there any gooseberries or currants growing nearby? If so you will get blister rust and it's fatal to white pine, with seedlings and saplings being especially vulnerable.

Old 11-20-2019, 07:27 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,122,405 times
I can tell you that thus far, I have found nothing that is certain. I ran 2 out of the front yard last night. They are here constantly. Every. Single. Day. I have a fence around my back yard but am going to be putting in an 8' one. Can't do that to the front and I can't fence in all my landscaping. I have used so many different deterrents and they work for a couple of days at best. Honestly, I don't know if it will kill my plants or not (so far it hasn't) the best thing I've found is febreeze. I don't drown the plant but put a light spray of it around the plant tips where the deer would first start nibbling. I just finally figured.. the deer are killing it all so I'll give it a shot and if it kills it... well... won't be any different. It's worked pretty good so far.

There is one product that is not in mass production yet that I am thinking of trying. The film footage of it working is compelling and supposedly, since it mimics nature, they don't get used to it and learn to power through it.
The ads look a little less professional than the big brands you're used to seeing because the guy is actually still looking for funding on these things but I think they show great potential. (I have zero stake in these things, I just found them after exhaustive searching)
Spark-Away - Solar Animal Deterrent, Deer Bear Otter Cat Dog Hog Elk

Old 11-20-2019, 01:49 PM

1,056 posts, read 724,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
I can tell you that thus far, I have found nothing that is certain. I ran 2 out of the front yard last night. They are here constantly. Every. Single. Day. I have a fence around my back yard but am going to be putting in an 8' one. Can't do that to the front and I can't fence in all my landscaping. I have used so many different deterrents and they work for a couple of days at best. Honestly, I don't know if it will kill my plants or not (so far it hasn't) the best thing I've found is febreeze. I don't drown the plant but put a light spray of it around the plant tips where the deer would first start nibbling. I just finally figured.. the deer are killing it all so I'll give it a shot and if it kills it... well... won't be any different. It's worked pretty good so far.
Unfortunately, fencing will not work. I seriously doubt my parents would pay for a high enough fence, and it'd be difficult anyways because we'd need to do it on a sloped, forested area and add two gates for the hiking trail.

Old 11-20-2019, 04:08 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,417,724 times
I've moved to a new area and planted 16 arborvitaes and roses before I realize there are deer everywhere. I've been using Deer Out and Liquid Fence. It seems to be working so far. I see them on my Ring camera smelling the roses then running off late at night.

Old 11-20-2019, 05:17 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt-lover L.A.M. View Post
Unfortunately, fencing will not work. I seriously doubt my parents would pay for a high enough fence, and it'd be difficult anyways because we'd need to do it on a sloped, forested area and add two gates for the hiking trail.
Unfortunately fencing is the only way or you can try a method like the YouTube that I am posting. Hot pepper sprays and liquid fence do not work to stop buck from rubbing their antlers. You need some form of physical protection. Deer are not tasting the bark when rubbing the velvet off their antlers. Unlike the YouTube I have simply cut 2"X2"X6' stakes from treated 2X4's. Then I use a metal bar to start a hole in the ground and try to drive the stakes in about a foot and a half away from the tree. Then I simply go around the outside with 4' chicken wire. But that man in the YouTube looks like he has a good answer. Deer are outside 24/7 and you have to do something during their rut or you will always loose your trees.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m84EWWW5B6k

Old 11-20-2019, 05:44 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,764,363 times
Get a dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden