U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2019, 06:37 PM

40,713 posts, read 16,036,412 times

Advertisements

The neutral house wold be a great backdrop for large pots with a drip irrigation system.

Here are some ideas of pots with bromeliads. I understand bromeliads don't work well in hot, intense sunlight, but do better in shady, protected areas.

https://www.google.com/search?q=larg...w=1059&bih=598

Try out some various sizes and colors by getting inexpensive plastic pots and spray paint them until you find what looks good.

There are landscape designers that specialize in courtyards and minimal maintenance. It might be worth paying for a consult with one. Also, landscapers would have access to wholesale nurseries which might save a bundle.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2019, 04:12 AM

9,988 posts, read 19,339,153 times
Add a wide window trim around the window and put a decorative triangle vent up in the hip roof area. That would help cool the house down and it could be a decorative vent at the same time. Maybe some shutters alongside the window? The poor window seems adrift in the side of the house and needs something to anchor it.

Old 12-01-2019, 07:21 AM

633 posts, read 454,837 times
To me, 'curb appeal' has come to mean I'll be spending too much time trying to keep weeds out of places I don't want them.

Unless you're the only place in the neighborhood that sticks out, looks fine to me.

Old 12-01-2019, 08:31 AM

761 posts, read 314,487 times
Paint the house, and consider resurfacing the driveway and walks with a stamped and tinted concrete pattern. Do this in back, too. Replace wooden fence with white pvc with decorative top. Add a green hedge in front of new fence. Add new sod/grass to any areas that need it.

Old 12-01-2019, 02:48 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,714,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Add a wide window trim around the window and put a decorative triangle vent up in the hip roof area. That would help cool the house down and it could be a decorative vent at the same time. Maybe some shutters alongside the window? The poor window seems adrift in the side of the house and needs something to anchor it.
I agree with this. The front of the house looks very bland to me and the first two things I thought of were:

1) Shutters or do something with the plain looking windows.
2) Do something with the front door area. That plain white front door is so "blah" looking and the awning/white rails look cheap to me. At minimum, maybe paint the rails and front door black....

Old 12-01-2019, 03:01 PM

23,961 posts, read 15,461,222 times
I would focus on two areas in the front. The first should be the area around your front door. The awning structure over the door should be upgraded. As it is, it looks cheap and temporary. I think the front porch could also be expanded. Make the porch the same dimensions as your new awning structure. If there are no funds for expanding your porch, paint or tile it. Then as a finishing touch, paint your front door a welcoming contrasting color. Upgrade the hardware on the door, or buy a new one.

The second area in the front of the house is the mostly blank area in front of the window. You need plantings there to soften the harsh tone of the house. You apparently live in a warm climate. Find a local nursery and ask for recs. Wrap the planting beds around to the drive to soften the horizontal lines the drive makes in front of the house. Include a stone path among your plantings, so you can move among your plants for maintenance.

What you do in your backyard depends on how you intend to use it.

I want to disagree with a previous poster about shutters. They would make no sense added to your house. They aren’t period appropriate or functional, unless you need them for hurricane protection.

Old 12-01-2019, 08:42 PM

5,039 posts, read 2,747,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
The small, bare window in the front caught my eye immediately, too. If possible, I would enlarge the window and also add shutters to frame the window. Plantings would help, too.

Old 12-01-2019, 09:11 PM

5,936 posts, read 3,824,119 times
I'd add plants. House is bland.

Old Yesterday, 11:40 AM

479 posts, read 258,222 times
Cute house...yeah, a little plain, but that's how the homes of that era were built...and it's spruce-up-able!

Over time, I would do the following with respect to the front landscaping:
* Remove the banana(?) plant and the small palm in front of the garage. (I like the palm -- we've also had them -- but once they outgrow the space, like yours, they don't really enhance the look.)
* Plant some greenery/shrubs under the front and garage windows, as well as some colorful plants.
* A couple of trellises on the garage front with something climbing (jasmine and/or bougainvillea, maybe) will break up that blank space.
* Add some color around the base of the tree in the raised bed. We have good luck with vincas. (And little kids can even help with planting those, maybe.)
* Add grass to the right of the driveway as well as a flower bed along the pony wall between you and your neighbor. Depending on how low- or high-maintenance you want, ask at a local nursery for suggestions as to what to plant there. Roses come to mind for that spot because of the light, but I'm not a rose expert so...

With respect to the house itself:
* Re-stain the fence and/or replace it if it's not in good repair. If replacing, I would go with a privacy fence with a course of lattice up top.
* Replace your garage door with the windowed variety, keeping it white.
* Change out your front entry door with a style complementary to your new garage door & update the hardware.
* Upgrade your front windows and add some trim. Windows can be pricey, but if yours are original non-energy efficient, you'll appreciate the quality upgrade in addition to the style improvement.
* Remove/replace the terracotta tiles on your front steps, and consider squaring them off (probably how they were originally). To me, clean/fresh concrete would blend better than the current color & style.
* If you keep handrails, paint them matte black.
* If you intend to paint the house, my favorite color combination would be a soft yellow (go a tiny bit brighter than you want if you plan to stay in the house for a long time as the yellow will quickly fade in the sun) with white trim (and white garage door), and a black front door. You could also add black shutters on your garage window if you don't fill that empty space with plantings/trellises.
* Replace the "brackets" (I don't know the word) holding up your front porch awning with beefier posts that go all the way down. Keep the posts white to match your trim.

Also, drive around your neighborhood and make note of styles/features you like on houses similar to yours.

If you don't plan to stay in this house very long, I would probably skip doing a lot to the house itself except maintaining the fence and replacing the front door, garage door and entry steps. But I would do what I could with the front landscaping for sure. Keeping the grass neatly edged goes a long way, too.

Work on the front first. After living there a while, you'll know better what you'll want to do in the back based on your family's needs. Have fun and good luck!

Old Today, 06:38 AM

38,111 posts, read 46,967,102 times
I would remove the crooked palm, and make the front door the focal point. I would make flower beds on either side of the front door, and paint the door a bold color. I actually hate yellow houses, so I’d paint the whole house, but that’s not what you are asking.

Definitely leave the nice big tree. In the bed where the palm is, you could perhaps move the palm to the left corner of the house, instead of the banana, then place low growing shrubs and flowers there.

In the back yard I would plant a shade tree, strategically, and otherwise just use decorative potted plants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden