U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2019, 05:39 AM

186 posts, read 67,811 times

Advertisements

How can I add curb appeal to this home? Picture is of the front and backyard area of the home.
Attached Thumbnails
Add a fence, knock down the tree or repair the entrance for curb appeal-genmbmob.190047304_20_0.jpg   Add a fence, knock down the tree or repair the entrance for curb appeal-genmbmob.190047304_0.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2019, 06:30 AM

8,243 posts, read 11,065,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadsuper55 View Post
How can I add curb appeal to this home? Picture is of the front and backyard area of the home.
It would be helpful to know either your location or the zone.

Old 11-30-2019, 07:03 AM

4,356 posts, read 2,276,636 times
Personally, (and I emphasize that word, lol), I would add a nice long garden bed in the back yard with bright flowering plants if your climate allows for them. They would really brighten up the yard. I put nine garden beds in my new home's yard this year, and three of them are in the front lawn and look fab!

Old 11-30-2019, 07:24 AM

681 posts, read 264,154 times
No, do not add a fence.
On the curve you could add a bed of low-maintenance interesting plants.
Nothing that would get higher than 1-2' so the front door is visible.
Since you are tropical climate I suggest bromeliad family, lots of interesting shapes and colors and they bloom every now and then in orange and red.
Make the bed follow the lines of the curve so the mowing is easy, no wavy bed in other words.

You can start with a small bed and increase length since bromeliads can be expensive.
In the long run they are less expensive because they don't need attention or replacement.

Old 11-30-2019, 10:46 AM

8,027 posts, read 7,026,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
It would be helpful to know either your location or the zone.
The water mark on the photos says San Diego, so I'm guessing that's where it is.

Quote:

Add a fence, knock down the tree or repair the entrance for curb appeal

Curb appeal? Are you intending to sell the house? You mention repair to the entrance, but I'm not seeing damages that need to be repaired. What damages should we be looking for?

I'd say keep the tree in the raised bed in the front lawn and plant some low growing colourful plants in that raised bed. I'd remove the tree that's growing along the driveway. Right now the property in the front looks open, spacious and inviting which is good so don't put up a fence or else it will look tight and cramped.

I think it needs some colour all around the house and the present colour of the house is an ideal background colour for adding some bright coloured plants that show off and contrast against the walls. If you're in San Diego (as indicated on the pictures) I don't think you should be creating a lot of in-ground flower beds since that will really increase the amount of water you need to use annually and your water bill will go up. But you could counteract that by placing several large brightly coloured glazed patio containers around the house in back and front and maybe down the sides of the driveway, with lots of colourful flowering plants in them and still conserve water that way.

Old 11-30-2019, 10:54 AM

19,615 posts, read 8,826,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Personally, (and I emphasize that word, lol), I would add a nice long garden bed in the back yard with bright flowering plants if your climate allows for them. They would really brighten up the yard. I put nine garden beds in my new home's yard this year, and three of them are in the front lawn and look fab!
That would be me too. The existing beds in the front could definitely use more plants.

OP, if you're asking because you want to sell, fill the existing beds with flowering annuals, because anyone who wants to buy will probably want to change things anyway.

But if you are looking to improve the looks of a place you intend to keep, then look at shrubs and perennials.

BTW, many non-big-box nurseries would be happy to help you out with free advice as to exactly which plants you should use.

Old 11-30-2019, 11:08 AM

1,971 posts, read 719,626 times
Have you trimmed down/back the larger tree in your front yard? You might not need to cut it all the way back.

Old 11-30-2019, 12:04 PM

29,611 posts, read 64,297,680 times
Quote:
How can I add curb appeal to this home?
There's no percentage in making the effort beyond staining the fence.
Just keep it all clean and orderly and working.

Old 11-30-2019, 12:39 PM

1,410 posts, read 1,219,510 times
Since you just bought it (are you even in yet?) I'd live with it a little before I did anything drastic.

Personally I'd leave the big tree in the raised bed. It's a lovely tree and adds a lot of character to the property. I'd probably take down the palm next to the driveway. It just seems out of place, plus palms can be a pain (and expensive) to maintain.

I took the liberty of looking at the street view of the property - the OP had previously posted the real estate listing in the San Diego forum, so the address was readily available to all . . . I'm not stalking or anything.

On the street view, there appears to be a bed to the right of the driveway. I'd put some colorful plantings there. I'd also put colorful plants along the front wall of the house between the banana tree and the palm and probably in front of the fence to the right of the driveway. And yes, the fence needs staining.

I wouldn't add a fence - there will be plenty going on in the yard by the time you add plants. But rather than a fence, if you really want to edge the property, how about a low hedge along the sidewalk - like boxwood or something? Oh, and what's the scrubby thing growing along the little wall to the right of the driveway, by the neighbor's big palms? If it's going to bloom and be an asset, maybe it could use a trim, or if it isn't, maybe it should go away.

That's all I have for now . . . hope it provides some food for thought.

Old 11-30-2019, 03:34 PM

1,971 posts, read 719,626 times
Yes, not sure if you're coming or going. You ask about curb appeal but mention the side enclosed yard as well as the front. If you're purchasing and staying...for the side yard have you explored a narrow lap pool? The kind where you swim sort of staying in place.

That deck above the house is fabulous. What an amazing view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden