U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-03-2019, 12:05 AM
 
Location: Out there somewhere...a traveling man.
40,107 posts, read 49,095,099 times
Reputation: 112357

Advertisements

A lot depends on the cost. First they have to dig the hole for the tree, then they may have to trim it back and bag/wrap it, and the distance to move it and replant it. All these factors determine the cost.
Plus a large pile of dirt to be removed for each tree unless you can scatter it around your yard yourself. In CA you're looking at t least $500.00 and up per tree.
You'd be better off with buying 20 to 24 inch boxed trees and planting them yourself. That's the largest size you can probably do without any special equipment.
Google fast growing trees for your area to find the selection you'd like. For example Eucalyptus trees are popular in CA and some grow tall and fast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-03-2019, 07:18 PM
 
1,511 posts, read 1,787,972 times
Reputation: 2061
I hired a guy with a spade truck and had him move a bunch of cedar trees to be used as a wind break. A neighbor volunteered the trees as long as I made sure the divots were replaced. I live in a rural area. We could have moved hardwoods, but I was after a wind break. The guy first removed a divot and set it aside and drove over to get the trees one by one. He would take a divot over and plug the holes where the trees were removed. He moved about 12-15 in total and it took about 6-7 hrs. The trees were fairly good size and all survived. For many years, I hit them with triple 13 in the spring and fall and they grew like weeds. It is now a massive wind break about 100 feet long. I then planted hardwoods here and there and many are now mature. The fertilizer makes a big difference. I got the trees for free and the spade work was maybe $600-$700 total at the time (it was a long time ago). He had to go about 2 miles for each tree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2019, 10:21 PM
 
Location: Redwood Shores, CA
356 posts, read 108,987 times
Reputation: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivertowntalk View Post
I hired a guy with a spade truck and had him move a bunch of cedar trees to be used as a wind break. A neighbor volunteered the trees as long as I made sure the divots were replaced. I live in a rural area. We could have moved hardwoods, but I was after a wind break. The guy first removed a divot and set it aside and drove over to get the trees one by one. He would take a divot over and plug the holes where the trees were removed. He moved about 12-15 in total and it took about 6-7 hrs. The trees were fairly good size and all survived. For many years, I hit them with triple 13 in the spring and fall and they grew like weeds. It is now a massive wind break about 100 feet long. I then planted hardwoods here and there and many are now mature. The fertilizer makes a big difference. I got the trees for free and the spade work was maybe $600-$700 total at the time (it was a long time ago). He had to go about 2 miles for each tree.
Yeah this is what I envision that I can do. I only need to move my trees about 100 feet max (if I end up using my own trees).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 02:12 PM
 
8,030 posts, read 2,921,121 times
Reputation: 18356
What if you planted bamboo? Bamboo grows fast, and can make a pretty thick barrier for privacy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 02:22 PM
 
Location: on the wind
8,493 posts, read 3,683,283 times
Reputation: 29063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
What if you planted bamboo? Bamboo grows fast, and can make a pretty thick barrier for privacy.
Bamboo can spread to where you don't want it pretty fast too; rhizomes, roots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 05:02 PM
 
2,890 posts, read 1,090,690 times
Reputation: 7540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Bamboo can spread to where you don't want it pretty fast too; rhizomes, roots.
Oh, yeah- do a LOT of research before you plant bamboo. Same for many of the fast-growing trees that builders throw in. Bradford Pear is the worst- breaks easily in a storm and not good for the local critters. I think it also cross-pollinates with everything and the results are weaker trees.

Years ago Dad drove out into the country and found a home sitting on a lot of wooded property. He just knocked on the door and asked the owner if he could dig up a few trees. The owner agreed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 07:48 AM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
15,082 posts, read 12,269,873 times
Reputation: 11335
Cheap or free is not always cheap and free. That is especially true with trees. People make mistakes all the time. They plant trees that get too tall or are host to invasive pest. While it can cost a fortune to move a mature tree; it can also cost a fortune to have one removed.

OP are you sure you want 'trees'? There are many fast growing shrubs that will effectively give you a privacy wall in just a few years. Shrubs are what most people turn towards when they want privacy. Here is one link on fastest growing shrubs: https://arbordayblog.org/treeplantin...rowing-shrubs/. I would think that their #2 choice (the North Privet hedge) would be a good choice and it supposedly grows 24"/year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 10:40 AM
 
Location: Redwood Shores, CA
356 posts, read 108,987 times
Reputation: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Cheap or free is not always cheap and free. That is especially true with trees. People make mistakes all the time. They plant trees that get too tall or are host to invasive pest. While it can cost a fortune to move a mature tree; it can also cost a fortune to have one removed.

OP are you sure you want 'trees'? There are many fast growing shrubs that will effectively give you a privacy wall in just a few years. Shrubs are what most people turn towards when they want privacy. Here is one link on fastest growing shrubs: https://arbordayblog.org/treeplantin...rowing-shrubs/. I would think that their #2 choice (the North Privet hedge) would be a good choice and it supposedly grows 24"/year.
Because the house sits on a sloped hill, I need the screen vegetation to be about 15' to 25', depending on the location of the vegetation. I think that's tree territory, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 11:05 AM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
15,082 posts, read 12,269,873 times
Reputation: 11335
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
Because the house sits on a sloped hill, I need the screen vegetation to be about 15' to 25', depending on the location of the vegetation. I think that's tree territory, right?
In that 15' to 25' foot height you might want to look at arborvitae and junipers or something like this: https://www.fast-growing-trees.com/p...BoC_gcQAvD_BwE. Keep in mind your growing conditions where you live in California. Elevation, fires, moisture and temperatures can play a big role in how well your new 'privacy screen' will survive. Feel free to call your county's cooperative extension service and ask for advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 12:37 PM
 
28,847 posts, read 19,953,909 times
Reputation: 15371
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I would suggest purchasing evergreens such as Colorado blue spruce or hemlock. These are sold by the foot with taller trees costing more. If they get plenty of sun and water, they grow very quickly. I have a hemlock that started as a 6-8 inch seedling that is now over 30 feet tall.
how long did the hemlock take to hit 30 feet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top