Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 02:21 PM

18,755 posts, read 18,018,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
I hope none of those squirrels had babies they were nursing who have now been left with a mother 5 miles away. I just wish people would learn to live and let live.
Unfortunately you cannot have it both ways. Go into any feed or department store and you will see tons of bird seed. When we “humans” feed birds; we also feed squirrels. By feeding squirrels; we make the problem worse. We helped create those “more” mouths to feed. If nature was left alone we would not have problems – only the strong and the lucky would survive. Most would slowly starve to death.

Last year was a very hard year for my fruit trees. First we had a late frost that killed off most fruit. Then we had a drought and what the drought did not take the crows and squirrels did take.

If you like to eat, which most of us do, we have to control the critters that like to share our harvest. Repellents are great – but the critters only go to the next “free” meal and repellents do wear off. At some time in the future; predators (hawks, owls, fox and coyote) could eventually catch up? In the meantime; nature could use a helping hand.

I would almost guarantee you that you would not buy one piece of fruit that had been previously eaten or pecked at by an animal or bird. Humans are funny that way; we don't like to share!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden