U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2008, 08:55 AM

431 posts, read 1,472,292 times

Advertisements

Last year was my first true experience with these horrendous insects. Just wondering whats everyones opinion on best approach to keeping them at bay. They entirely consumed every Rose Bush and Crape Myrtle in my landscape.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2008, 09:32 AM

529 posts, read 1,772,277 times
I have used the bug bags, they catch TONS of them... but at the same time you got to think about where you place it because it attracts the beetles. You also have to change the bag every other day or it will smell bad. Other than that, seven dust has also worked or seven spray. Found at any home depot/lowes type store.

Old 04-27-2008, 10:00 AM

45 posts, read 138,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U120 View Post
Last year was my first true experience with these horrendous insects. Just wondering whats everyones opinion on best approach to keeping them at bay. They entirely consumed every Rose Bush and Crape Myrtle in my landscape.

I use Ortho Systemic Insect Killer Concentrate. It works wonders.

Old 04-27-2008, 10:23 AM

7 posts, read 16,463 times
I had the same problem! I read on the internet somewhere to treat the area with milky spore or make a spray of liquid dishsoap and hot pepper, or even plant garlic.

Moderator cut: url removed
I didn't actually try any of these, so use at your own risk! Good luck!

Last edited by autumngal; 04-27-2008 at 01:09 PM.. Reason: to comply with the TOS

Old 04-27-2008, 10:31 AM

20,508 posts, read 25,712,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U120 View Post
I tried bug bags with limited success. I had the best luck drowning them.

Wash out a glass jar. Fill 1/3 with water. Pour enough olive oil to have 1/3 to 1/2 an inch floating on top of the water. Buy very cheap olive oil or use old olive oil. Take a twig & knock the beetles in. Set the jar some place safe & the next day dump it & start again. The olive oil won't hurt anything.

Old 04-27-2008, 01:12 PM

4,607 posts, read 6,863,625 times
Here is a thread on milky spore that was discussed recently.

japanese beetles

Old 04-27-2008, 02:21 PM

15,400 posts, read 25,259,218 times
The problem with milky spore is that you have to get all the neighbors who live nearby to use it, too... or the beetles simply commute from the yard next door.

Of course, you could have some fun with this, too. Maybe you could throw a neighborhood Milky Spore party.

We like using the bags. And, during the worst of it I always walk the garden every night and picked them off the plants. Gross, yes, but worth it.

Beetles are another reason to like the knockout roses. They don't seem to attract them as much as other roses do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden