U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 02:29 PM

15,402 posts, read 17,425,301 times
Default coffee grounds

For at least 20 years I've been throwing my coffee grounds in the dirt around rose bushes and hydrangeas. (I only drink 1 cup in the morning, so it's not a lot.) I don't know for sure if it's made any difference, but someone once told me coffee grounds helped amend the soil and made the ground acidic.

Two weeks ago I bought ten rose bushes, and about a week after planting them one died. First the leaves on the top died, then the whole plant croaked. The other bushes are all thriving.

I took the dead plant to the garden center, which claims it has a guarantee. They asked me how I cared for the plant. I showed them the written instructions I had followed for planting, and told them how I had been amending the soil with the grounds from my daily cuppa Joe. As soon as I mentioned the word "coffee" he got a little huffy and told me the coffee grounds were what killed the plant. (He also said they would not honor the guarantee because roses were excluded).

Is this true? Are coffee grounds bad for a plant? Or did I just encounter a rude salesman?

Opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2008, 02:50 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,472,819 times
I'm honestly not sure about too much groudns to kill a rose bush... but look at it.. you have 10 new plants, all getting the same amount? and only 1 dies. I say "bum" plant.

It's possible the plant was not too healthy to begin with - and that one just died.

They will always find fault in the customer especially when they don't want to replace the plant or refund the cash.

One thing i read that is good for roses is bananas. I'd have to go back and find the thread where i read it, for the benefits... but last year i started burying peals by my roses... not sure if it made any difference though.

Hope you get the answer you are looking for though.

edited to add this ==> Gardening and Yardening: Acidity of Coffee Grounds Not Important (http://gardeneryardener.blogspot.com/2006/09/acidity-of-coffee-grounds-not.html - broken link)

Old 04-27-2008, 02:53 PM

5,004 posts, read 5,209,080 times
HE IS FULL OF IT. Coffee grounds are perfectly safe. I use them on my roses, azalias, rhododendrons, hydrangeas, strawberry plants and orchids. I also give it as a boost to my conifers and potted plants. Now, if you were putting fireplace ash's on your plants, that would be a different story. I think the one that died probably had root rot from being overly watered at the nursery. Talk to the manager and explain how the other rose bush's are fine and that since you bought ten bush's, you should get a replacement for the one that died. I use coffee grounds to discourage snails and slugs too.

Old 04-27-2008, 02:59 PM

3,368 posts, read 7,134,370 times
That amount of grounds would do no harm. And obviously not, as 9 out of the ten roses are fine. Take some photos, write a diary account of the planting and go and ask the owner for a replacement.

BTW planting garlic with roses is supposed to help deter greenfly, aphids, etc - the garlic flavour grows into the rose and they don't like the taste!

Old 04-27-2008, 03:46 PM

8,063 posts, read 11,244,318 times
I agree with the others. If only one out of 10 died, they just don't want to refund your money! That really stinks!

I also agree that it was probably diseased from the start. Recently, I bought two gardenia bushes at a nursery -- planted them both the same day, the same way and in the same yard with equal amounts of sun/shade, watering, etc. One is thriving, one started looking bad within a few days. As I recall, when I removed it from the pot, the soil and half the roots immediately fell away, which didn't happen with the other plant. I believe it was either root rot or a disease. I have spoken with a worker at the nursery and he agreed; I shall be returning it this week as nothing I've done has helped it turn the corner.

I have a small plastic bin in the house and collect a week's worth of coffee grounds, teabags, egg shells, and vegetable/fruit peels and trimmings, which I then put around my roses and other plants outside every week. LOL, I don't know if it helps but it doesn't hurt!

Old 04-27-2008, 05:22 PM

27,544 posts, read 19,876,217 times
Coffee grounds are a natural acidic soil amendment that helps acid loving plants grow. You should go back and demand a replacement or refund. The store will get credit for the dead plant from the grower. And anyone who offers a blank guarantee(no written exclusions)has to honor it no matter what, even if a Mack truck ran over it.

Old 04-27-2008, 05:41 PM

4,678 posts, read 4,709,191 times
The guy may have been a jerk, but nurseries generally do not guarantee roses. It's a common policy as roses can be temperamental. Losing one out of ten is not bad and probably better than average.

Merrifield Garden Center: Frequently Asked Questions

Old 04-27-2008, 06:31 PM

15,342 posts, read 14,055,609 times
I learned a few weeks ago, that banana peels around the rose bush is actually good for it also. I have heard of coffee grinds too.

Old 04-27-2008, 06:35 PM

27,544 posts, read 19,876,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
The guy may have been a jerk, but nurseries generally do not guarantee roses.
[ [/url]
In AZ, especially the Phoenix Metro area most nurseries, and Garden Centers, due to competition, guarantee ALL plants up to 1 year, roses included.

Old 04-27-2008, 07:50 PM

15,402 posts, read 17,425,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
The guy may have been a jerk, but nurseries generally do not guarantee roses. It's a common policy as roses can be temperamental. Losing one out of ten is not bad and probably better than average.

Merrifield Garden Center: Frequently Asked Questions
Ironic--this link is for Merrifield Garden Center. That happens to be the exact same garden center that told me this. You must live in Nova. I'm so depressed, I really loved that store. My favorite place for years. For years. It's such a bummer, I don't want to bother doing business with them anymore, but I don't know of another good place to go. Guess I'll find one, though.

I don't mind the fact that they won't replace my rose nearly as much as getting the run around and being told bull. I used to trust them, it was worth putting up with high prices becuase they had a quality product and an incredible help desk. Now they have salepeople pulling this sot of baloney. I mean honestly! It makes me sick, like being lied to by your kid. If you knew how great this company used to be you'd be bummed out too. I guess even the best stores change when the economy goes south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden