U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 07:10 AM

15,402 posts, read 16,978,069 times
Default Banana peels, egg shells, etc.

Continuing a side topic from the thread about coffee grounds, a few people mentioned the benefits of banana peels, tea bags, and egg shells. I'd love to hear more about this (and other amendments that I can throw in the garden after breakfast--simple ideas that don't require you to compost.)

Eggshells: Do you crumbled it up first, or does that matter? Is it ok if there's a little egg white/yolk or does it need to be rinsed off?

Banana peel: Cut it up and sprinkle over the plant--or wrap the peel as a whole around the base of the plant? How often do you apply? I eat a banana every day and have ten rose bushes--would it be smart to apply a new peel every ten days? Does this attract rodents or deer?

Tea Bags: Open the bag and sprinkle over plant, or simply toss bag near the roots and let it disintegrate? Do you do tea bags if you are already doing coffee grounds?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2008, 07:39 AM

6,743 posts, read 11,207,265 times
Eggshells: Crumble them. I simply throw mine under the shrubs if I'm feeling too lazy to walk to the compost. But they sit there for months unless you crush them and cover them with mulch. No need to rinse.

Banana peel:
From what I've read, you're supposed to bury them. But that would disturb the rose's roots. My guess, cover them with mulch in or near the root zone. Don't add more than a couple a month. Compost the rest.

Tea bags: Don't sprinkle on the plant, sprinkle around the root zone. Maybe you could use it as a thin addition to mulch. Don't overdo it with or without coffee. Compost your excess. Composting breaks down harmful components and makes it easier for your plants to handle.

Maybe you need to get a book on composting from the library.

Old 04-28-2008, 07:42 AM

1,907 posts, read 3,691,325 times
For me. Crush the eggshells in a plastic bag. I use the end of a butcher knife to hit it with. The bag will contain the breaking shells. Just pour out the amount needed then reseal bag. If not using all the shells, wash them first.
The tea bags, I keep whole.
The banna peels, I kind of chop up. But don't get real crazy with it.
All the above I plant as close to the stalk/stem as possible. I dig down about 1 to 1 1/2 inch then cover up.

Old 04-28-2008, 09:07 AM

15,402 posts, read 16,978,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
Compost your excess. Composting breaks down harmful components and makes it easier for your plants to handle.

Maybe you need to get a book on composting from the library.
Thanks for the great suggestions. Wish I could start a compost bin for my daughter but her HOA forbids them. Also, she doesn't have any interest. So, when I visit I'll have to stick to eggshell crumbles and a few token banana peels.

Old 04-28-2008, 10:53 AM

1,214 posts, read 3,370,370 times
Egg shells -- i put them in a plastic dish [like a #1 deli container] and let them dry ... once they are dried, i use the end of the meat tenderizer and just break them that way.
I dont have eggs daily ... so by the time i'm adding a new shell, the ones from the time before are dry ... sometimes i leave the shell in the frig til they dry out.
I sprinkle them around my hostas -- the slugs are not suppose to cross over them.

Banana peels -- i leave them whole, and just bury them about 6" or so away from the base, an inch or so under the soil line. I've even buried whole bananas that did not get eaten in time. Or just toss'em in the compost.

Tea bags -- when i have them, go into the compost tumbler.

I have never had problems with critters due to adding 'stuff' to my rose bed.

Old 04-28-2008, 12:24 PM

4,282 posts, read 6,406,539 times
I crush, chop and crumble it all into the compost then make a good batch of compost tea and pour it around the plants.

Old 04-28-2008, 12:59 PM

3,981 posts, read 5,065,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcs1366 View Post
Egg shells -- i put them in a plastic dish [like a #1 deli container] and let them dry ... once they are dried, i use the end of the meat tenderizer and just break them that way.
I dont have eggs daily ... so by the time i'm adding a new shell, the ones from the time before are dry ... sometimes i leave the shell in the frig til they dry out.
I sprinkle them around my hostas -- the slugs are not suppose to cross over them.

Banana peels -- i leave them whole, and just bury them about 6" or so away from the base, an inch or so under the soil line. I've even buried whole bananas that did not get eaten in time. Or just toss'em in the compost.

Tea bags -- when i have them, go into the compost tumbler.

I have never had problems with critters due to adding 'stuff' to my rose bed.
I do almost exactly the same with my eggshells as you, only I rinse mine out before putting them in the deli dish. I use a can to crush them after I put them in a large coffee can. I use them in the bottom of flower pots,and around my hostas.

Bana peels, whichI I don't have many of, go into my compost bucket.
So do my tea bags.

Old 03-03-2010, 11:45 AM

1 posts, read 26,827 times
Default Putting Tuna under a rosebush

I was told that when you first plant roses to put a can of tuna under a rosebush...does this work and does that mean putting the can and all?

Old 03-03-2010, 12:09 PM

2,404 posts, read 2,313,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhisperingSpirit View Post
I was told that when you first plant roses to put a can of tuna under a rosebush...does this work and does that mean putting the can and all?
My experience with tuna, animals dug up the plant and ate the buried tuna.

Old 03-03-2010, 01:13 PM

4,552 posts, read 8,307,976 times
Why not just dump all of this stuff into a compost garbage can and let it rot for a while, then you do not need to worry.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden