Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2020, 06:42 PM

2,335 posts, read 2,537,124 times

Advertisements

Before I retired, I was making $50/hr. My company billed my time at $175/hr to cover overhead and profit.

I pay $40 to have a small, irregular shape yard mowed, edged and blown. 2-3 guys 20-30 minutes. I couldn't care less what that works out to hourly. All I care about is that it's worth every penny to have someone else do it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2020, 09:31 PM

2,453 posts, read 1,513,492 times
Where I am it’s around $40-50 a mow for half acre lots, including trim and blow. As stated above, that’s usually two-three guys in no more than .5 hour. I opt to do my own but I bought a near-commercial grade zero turn and a commercial gas trimmer. I also have a Honda finish mower. Takes me 1.5 hours. We’ve had so little rain recently that I’m going nearly two weeks between mows.

Old 06-27-2020, 09:46 PM

14,711 posts, read 14,860,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
I heard 2 times a year.
That answer is a bit confusing. Do you mean the grass only needs to be mowed 2 times a year for the whole year, or 2 times a year during the autumn/winter months (but more often in the growing season)? If it's only 2 times a year for the whole, entire year then you've got a good deal going at that rate whether or not they bag up and remove the trimmings (which most yard services usually do).

Here in the PNW it usually needs to be cut every week for 9 months of the year (not the winter months) and where I live (southwest BC) the going rate is $50 / hour (CDN). The yard servicers bring all their own equipment and take away and dispose of all the trimmings at the local organics recycling depot to be composted.

Old 06-28-2020, 01:50 AM

1,651 posts, read 1,283,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
That answer is a bit confusing. Do you mean the grass only needs to be mowed 2 times a year for the whole year, or 2 times a year during the autumn/winter months (but more often in the growing season)? If it's only 2 times a year for the whole, entire year then you've got a good deal going at that rate whether or not they bag up and remove the trimmings (which most yard services usually do).

Here in the PNW it usually needs to be cut every week for 9 months of the year (not the winter months) and where I live (southwest BC) the going rate is $50 / hour (CDN). The yard servicers bring all their own equipment and take away and dispose of all the trimmings at the local organics recycling depot to be composted.

That's just what I remember hearing; not 100% sure. I need to confirm that with the mower as he does this for my neighbors.

This mowing is not for beautification purpose, this is for fire prevention. The focus is on "removing burning materials" so there is no edging or blowing.

To be honest I am not sure how effective this mowing is for the stated purpose. There is a bluff top part which I'm being asked to have mowed. Then there is a bigger bluff face part which the grass grows just as wildly but BY LAW we cannot touch at all. This part can provide plenty of fire materials. What's the point of cutting just the top part? But I don't want to even ask about let alone debate my neighbors on this.

Old 06-28-2020, 03:08 AM

7,985 posts, read 5,354,813 times
Quote:

$45/hr = $90K annual salary... It seems just yesterday that hourly workers were fighting for living wage.
^They are not working 40 hours a week cutting grass. They have travel time, loading time, etc. It could be they are working much more than 40 hours a week.

I think that is a reasonable price.

Old 06-28-2020, 05:38 AM

11,378 posts, read 24,375,940 times
Quote:
That's just what I remember hearing; not 100% sure. I need to confirm that with the mower as he does this for my neighbors.

This mowing is not for beautification purpose, this is for fire prevention. The focus is on "removing burning materials" so there is no edging or blowing.

To be honest I am not sure how effective this mowing is for the stated purpose. There is a bluff top part which I'm being asked to have mowed. Then there is a bigger bluff face part which the grass grows just as wildly but BY LAW we cannot touch at all. This part can provide plenty of fire materials. What's the point of cutting just the top part? But I don't want to even ask about let alone debate my neighbors on this.
So that makes his quote even more reasonable. This person only sees you twice a year. How many customers like you must he have to earn a living, year round?

He probably has a certain amount of expertise to understand the local regulations. Then he has to deal with hardheaded customers like you who want to nitpick everything and shave pennies. And, this is California where the cost of living is higher than any other state. I’m gonna say he’s not charging enough.

Old 06-28-2020, 06:28 AM

50,145 posts, read 63,575,256 times
$45. for 1/3 acre suburban yard in GA. We do our own, but everywhere we’ve had a lawn service, it was priced by the job, not by the hour. A landscaper can glance at your yard and know how long it will take.

Is OP saying that some days when they mow you’ll pay for 2 hours, and some days you’ll pay for 1.75, or 3 hours?

Old 06-28-2020, 06:56 AM

2,203 posts, read 5,072,912 times
It's weird that they would give an hourly rate for lawn service, but my guy, (that I've been using for 6 years) charges by the job. It runs close to what you were quoted.
The price changes slightly, depending on whether I need him weekly, or biweekly.
I have him mow 1.5 acres, and it takes him 20-30 minutes, including weed eating.
I'm have no issue paying that rate, I understand that costs play into what I pay. Cost of gas for his truck, mower, and weed eaters, upkeep on his machinery, and his time, his insurances...etc.
I'm self employed as well, so maybe I have more of an understanding.
They don't get to work when the weather is bad, so this isn't usually a 40 hour work week for lawn care people, and I live where they don't mow during the winter.

Old 06-28-2020, 07:05 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,561,987 times
I pay $50 for a weekly mow of my 1 acre property. If I shopped around I'm sure I can find someone to do it for 40. It's pretty easy to get a few quotes. My dad will stand there for landscaping jobs and counts the guys and hours. He is never happy, always thinks he is getting ripped off. It's not a good way mentally to go about it. If you want to pay closer to an hourly wage then maybe you can buy the equipment and get a kid to do it and pay him cash.

Old 06-28-2020, 07:31 AM

77,979 posts, read 60,166,723 times
Quote:
I got a quote to mow grass, for fire prevention purpose (as opposed to beautifying the hosue). I haven't asked estimated hours yet; this hourly rate already pauses me. Is that a normal price range for mowing grass these days? This is around Albion CA.

$45/hr = $90K annual salary... It seems just yesterday that hourly workers were fighting for living wage.
When they are supplying the equipment, gas, storage etc. plus travel time they are clearly not making that much unless you already factored those costs in which doesn't seem likely.

Imagine going to McDonalds, getting a meal for $8, noting the kid behind the counter processes 30 meals and hour and thinking that he makes $240/hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden