Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2020, 03:05 PM

67 posts, read 44,889 times

Advertisements

I had a guy come out and remove 3 yellow jackets nests and for a few days everything seemed fine. Today there were a bunch in the same area again. I thought it was the recycling bin (which the guy also cleansed and sprayed for bees and wasps and they disappeared for a few days). I moved the bin to a different area and the wasps were still flying in the area where the wasps used to be. I don’t know what else to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2020, 05:00 PM

262 posts, read 164,486 times
Yellow jackets also build nests in the ground or within nooks and crannies in wood or a house. Spend some time watching to identify where they nest. Did you inspect all small holes in the yard? I am busy dealing with them too. Find out where their nest is during the during the day, spray at night. They may very well have their nest in a neighbors yard. We always try to get pest company out to do our home and all adjacent homes same time, pre-areanged with neighbors. Each year, yellow jackets build a new nest usually, abandoning the former nest. Former owner at house I just bought had random 12" rocks placed around yard, thought odd, asked neighbor - the rocks were to cover yellow jacket nests.

Old 07-25-2020, 05:26 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificaViews View Post
Yellow jackets also build nests in the ground or within nooks and crannies in wood or a house. Spend some time watching to identify where they nest. Did you inspect all small holes in the yard? I am busy dealing with them too. Find out where their nest is during the during the day, spray at night. They may very well have their nest in a neighbors yard. We always try to get pest company out to do our home and all adjacent homes same time, pre-areanged with neighbors. Each year, yellow jackets build a new nest usually, abandoning the former nest. Former owner at house I just bought had random 12" rocks placed around yard, thought odd, asked neighbor - the rocks were to cover yellow jacket nests.
When the sun is first coming up or when it is setting you can sometimes spot the bees making a bee-line to or from their nest. Most of the time they will be in a hole in the ground. But they can also build a paper nest in trees, under steps or eves, sometimes under the siding of the house, or just about anyplace. Sometimes they will use a large rock or piece of firewood to protect the nest from rain. That can make it harder to eliminate the nest since they might have multiple entrances.

The flying insect sprays are very effective against them, providing that the nest is not protected by rock, wood, or siding and has multiple entrances. I would not recomend anybody using them that is allergic to a bee sting. But I have not been stung for many years using them. I try to always wear long sleeve pants and shirts and goggles to protect my eyes. Most of those sprays have a residiual poison to kill long after you spray. They will knock the bees right out of the air. Many advertise 12 or more feet that they will shoot so you don't have to be that close at the time you do use the spray. I am torn on whether or not to spray at night. While the bees are in their nest, sometimes it is hard to see your target or escape route. Since the sprays have a residual effect, spraying during the daylight hours can be just as effective.

Old 07-25-2020, 05:53 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,108,582 times
I would call the guy back and tell him.

Old 07-25-2020, 06:22 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I would call the guy back and tell him.
I don't know if anybody is old enough to remember the old apple cider presses that used to be scattered around the countryside? They were always swarming with yellow jackets. The bees loved the residue that was all over those large presses. We had a company picnic last year and there were yellow jackets chasing all of us so they could land on our food, it was bad timing.

Even though the OP's recycle bin has been washed and sprayed, there is something in there or a residual odor that is attracting the bees. Generally, as it gets later in the summer, the colonies get larger, the bees get more aggressive, and there is a greater chance of being stung.

Old 07-25-2020, 07:56 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,028,112 times
You could call that exterminator and tell him he didn't get them all and you need him to come back again. He should know how to find any missed nests or entrances to nests that are still remaining on your property.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden