U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-03-2008, 08:38 AM

19,144 posts, read 13,976,135 times

Advertisements

Amazing-----the first little Four O'Clock seedling is peeking through the soil today. It's only been a few days since we planted them. Something must be right! It's been hot and humid so maybe that has something to do wiht it!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 10:45 AM

7,730 posts, read 8,854,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Amazing-----the first little Four O'Clock seedling is peeking through the soil today. It's only been a few days since we planted them. Something must be right! It's been hot and humid so maybe that has something to do wiht it!
More of mine are sprouting too now that I'm watering every morning and it's gotten really warm. Losing that tree opened up more sunlight to the area as well. I can't wait to see and smell them this summer.

Old 03-04-2009, 03:56 PM

15,400 posts, read 18,091,048 times
OK, you've inspired me. I got one of those little seed starter kits that acts like a little terrarium and I've planted one packet of four o'clocks and 3 packets of marigolds. By the time they've sprouted in the terrarium it should be warm enough to plant them outdoors (at least, I hope so...)

How do deer react to them? I sure hope they don't eat them. Since they're poisonous, I'm a little afraid that I might be a Bambi Murderer. I don't want to wake up one morning and find one keeled over on my lawn after a night of munching on my flowers...

Old 03-04-2009, 09:43 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,596,008 times
normie... i had a seed [datura] and i was all freaked out with the plant being poisonous... i was reassured that animals are smart enough to stay away from plants that are poisonous... so, even though i never got them to germinate, i wasn't so freaked out.

I have 4'O-C's all over the place, and even though i dont see deer often... once every few yrs or so, i have many critters that eat plants and no 4 O-C's have been snacked on.

Are you using the terrarium outside like a cold frame? Or set up in your house with lights?

if inside... you may want to nick and soak those huge seeds ... when they are outside, mom nature takes care of the thick seed.

Old 03-07-2009, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcs1366 View Post
if inside... you may want to nick and soak those huge seeds ... when they are outside, mom nature takes care of the thick seed.

Thanks for the tip. Can you give me specific guidelines for nicking and soaking? How long do I soak them? Do I nick them before or after soaking? And how much do you nick off?

I'm thinking of trying to sow one seed packet directly into the ground (as well as using the ones grown indoor). That way I can see if there's an advantage to growing them indoors. So, if you could, please tell me how to prepare the seeds that I plant outdoors, too. The soil I'm planting them in has a lot of clay and roots from nearby beech trees. The area gets about 4-5 hours of sun at most. Thanks

Old 03-07-2009, 03:45 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,596,008 times
normie.... I can't recall nicking or soaking.... BUT from what i've read... use a nail file until you see "white" -- i'm guessing that should be right under the dark shell.

as for soaking... many folks soak their seeds in a hydrogen peroxide solution [something like 1/2t per gal] and they say it helps with germination.

[you can always google 'nick and soak' and see what pops up]

Since I do not indoor sow, i do not do either.

I've alsways had luck just sticking the seeds into the ground. I dont see your location, so I dont know if your winter is over yet.

One thing i have found in my yrs with 4-O'C's is.... they do not like being transplanted. Any of my taller seedlings [say if i'm moving ones that pop up in the yard/garden] their growth is usually stunted and they never preform well] Transplant when they are small and you should have good luck with them.

I've done them in Peat Pots and they've done OK, but the best have been the ones where the seeds are directly sown.

Hope this helps

Old 03-07-2009, 09:22 PM

7,730 posts, read 8,854,830 times
Normie, I would recommend waiting on any outdoor seeds until your last frost. Four oclocks won't germinate until it gets really warm. That was my problem last year. Between the birds and the moisture/rot, I only had a few dozen plants survive. And then, I had to deal with clay and rocks. They suffered through the summer with the occasional watering from me. Without really good soil, they just won't perform as well as they can. My largest plant was about 2' tall IF I were to hold it up. I've seen them 3-4' tall easily in other yards.

Like tcs says, if you do start them indoors, get them outside early. So you might want to wait until a week before your last frost date to start them. They come up really quick. You'll want to transplant before the third set of leaves develop. These plants have a tuber root system and in some areas will return year after year from the tuber and dropped seeds. I expect to have a few show up.

Old 03-09-2009, 04:05 PM

2,733 posts, read 2,308,090 times
I LOVE 4 O Clocks! My parents have been growing them since I was a little girl. I don't think they've had t buy any ned seeds for them for 30+ years!

Old 03-15-2009, 12:15 AM

663 posts, read 1,192,407 times
Its a shame, when we first moved into this house, we had 4Oclocks in the yard, and my Wife absolutely hated them, (I thought they were magnificent to look at!), So, she had me dig them up and toss them out. (She also had me dig up and toss out a tea cup rose bush...sheesh, that woman is something else!).

Now, she plants some awful looking marigolds and I tell her that they never look as good as those 4Oclocks and I still miss them to this day...*sigh*.

May the LORD Bless each of you.

I wish you well...

Jesse

Old 03-17-2009, 10:12 AM

Oh dear, foolish me. I started a bunch of four o'clocks using a seed tray before I found out they need the hot weather.

I kept them in the tray for as long as possible, but they've really outgrown it so today I tried plant them in the warmest spots I could find. Still, the high for today is only 55. Poor little things.

I'll let you guys know if any of them survive. Then I'll wait to start the next batch until after Easter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden