U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 05:44 PM

894 posts, read 2,817,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Bamboo - how invasive is it?

More than in your wildest dreams.
Is this only for running bamboo? Isn't clumping bamboo different? Am I naive? I love how the stuff looks and I would love to use it for privacy in a small area that an arborvitae would take up too much room.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 06:34 PM

7,730 posts, read 12,445,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatergirl View Post
Is this only for running bamboo? Isn't clumping bamboo different? Am I naive? I love how the stuff looks and I would love to use it for privacy in a small area that an arborvitae would take up too much room.
Clumping bamboo will spread, but much slower than the normal golden bamboo you see growing all over the South. Running bamboo can cover lots of territory in only one year, and can even push through 6' of rubble and soil to find the sun. It's nearly impossible to kill. I have a clumping variety that for 2 years never got much more than twice the size it was when I planted it. I sold the condo, so I don't know if it's still there or what happened in year 3.

Old 04-01-2010, 06:42 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,595,894 times
Bamboo plants enjoy damp to wet areas.

Bamboos are both invasive and non invasive. Bamboo plants can also grow to heights of up to 75feet. Most grow to 40feet.
and are 3"-4" in diameter.

Non invasive: Clumping bamboo can be easily controlled by not planting where you do not want them to grow. Slow growers and if you want a plant that grows fast, invasive Bamboo is what you want to plant
Invasive: This type sends out underground risomes also known as roots everywhere. It is very tough to rid of this plant and controlling it can be easily done by planting a barrier 18" or deeper of plastic to prevent the roots from traveling.

Old 04-04-2010, 03:43 AM

301 posts, read 1,367,048 times
I planted mine in the summer of 2007.Its doing great.I have seen nothing negative at this point in time.I have read all the stories of how uncontrolable it can become.But I spend about 3 days a week in the yard.And would be able to stay on top of anything grow out of control.And I sure love living in N.E. Fl.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:41 AM

1,806 posts, read 4,992,915 times
Might I suggest a willow instead, if the spot is safely far enough away from your house?

The bamboo I am trying to remove from my property is clumping, and a total pain in the...(this is my third spring trying to conquer the growth)
it was planted right against the neighbor's fence by some P.O., on an elevated easement. I tackled one area, only to see newness arise next to it, months later.

I used to like bamboo.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:49 AM

1,806 posts, read 4,992,915 times
Someone mentioned burning...what about that horrible chemical burn sold for tree stumps? I don't like putting nasty things in to the earth, but I'm starting to get testy. I hate chiggers more than the bamboo.

Old 04-05-2010, 05:40 PM

1 posts, read 1,323 times
My husband planted the running kind for a privacy hedge about 5 years ago. Some of the runners can go 10' or more into the grass. We argue all the time about the cane sucking the nutrients out of the grass and it eventually dies. He says I am wrong, that it does not kill the grass. Can someone please tell me I am not crazy. The roots and runners are the most wicked things I have ever seen. They are strong and hard to get out of the ground. Since he planted the cane, I have tilled and sodded twice, to no avail. Has anyone ever heard of pouring diesel fuel on the roots to kill them? I'm at wits end and would try just about anything.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:10 PM

11,961 posts, read 12,429,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33458 View Post
Someone mentioned burning...what about that horrible chemical burn sold for tree stumps? I don't like putting nasty things in to the earth, but I'm starting to get testy. I hate chiggers more than the bamboo.
Hate mosquitos too. They love to swarm in the bamboo grove we've got in our neighborhood, thanks to a thoughtless clod from Nevada the next block over. Invasive bamboo becomes everyones problem, not just your own. I corroborate moth's sentiments-- run don't walk away from invasive bamboo.

Thank goodness my tiller has lifetime warranty on it's tines. 2yr battle so far and I've still got bamboo. Chemicals will be my last resort, much as I hate to use them, but an uninhabitable backyard isn't an alternative. True justice would mean this man gets the bill for the backbreaking work of removal from professional landscapers in perpetuity.

Takes a few irresponsible people to justify an outright ban on the stuff. Either that or have dueling invasive species- honeysuckle, peppermint and wild rugosa bushes vs the bamboo. <plotting and scheming >

The end of civilization as we know it, that man-o-war thinking, the whole world will be covered in kudzu or invasive bamboo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or