Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2020, 06:44 PM

13,034 posts, read 17,925,269 times

Advertisements

So here is the question. We have a lawn service that goes from house to house and we have inherited some Kyllingas grass.

The question is what do we do about it.

We have clay soil and have had an enormous amount of rain. There are large patches in the grass in several spots in the backyard and two in the front. We have already installed French drains to handle the run off but there are two problems. The lawn service does not wash the mowers between clients (none do) and we have a community irrigation system that we have no control over. Since we are clay often times we wind up very wet. If I understand it, this weed is difficult to eradicate and thrives in moist wet soil.

We can have it treated but given the nature of my beast am I throwing good money after bad? I think so, but then again, will my entire lawn be taken over by "Kling ON's"?

Last edited by nuts2uiam; 09-12-2020 at 07:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2020, 04:44 AM

630 posts, read 649,667 times
I had a massive infestation of this weed due to poor drainage in clay. To kill it, I waited for the peak of summer heat, sprayed it with weed killer and turned off the sprinklers for two weeks. After that the weed died and the Bermuda grass quickly grew and took over.
I expect the weed will return next spring but at least I know how to control it before it spreads.

Old 09-13-2020, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP48G View Post
I had a massive infestation of this weed due to poor drainage in clay. To kill it, I waited for the peak of summer heat, sprayed it with weed killer and turned off the sprinklers for two weeks. After that the weed died and the Bermuda grass quickly grew and took over.
I expect the weed will return next spring but at least I know how to control it before it spreads.
If I could only turn the sprinklers off, but I can't. They will be off soon for the season.

Old 09-13-2020, 10:38 AM

14,658 posts, read 14,753,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post

........ we have a community irrigation system that we have no control over ......

If I could only turn the sprinklers off, but I can't. They will be off soon for the season.
Are you in some kind of HOA? That's the only reason I can think of for having a community irrigation system that you have no personal authority and control over.

Does the lawn service company also service all the other residences in your entire community and do other residents have the same infestations in their lawns?

Does whoever has the final say-so about the sprinklers also have the final say-so and authority about giving work orders and paying and hiring and firing of the lawn service people who were responsible for bringing an infestation of noxious weeds to you? The lawn service people who brought you the noxious infestation should be responsible for getting rid of it and whoever is in control of the irrigation system should be paying for it.

If you have no control or authority over whether or not the sprinklers can be shut off on your lawn then you have no independent control over the condition of your lawn (it's like it's not really even your own lawn to do as you please with) and therefore the the condition of the lawn should be the problem to be resolved and paid for by whoever has ultimate authority over the sprinklers which are contributing to the problem.

Old 09-13-2020, 11:21 AM

9,346 posts, read 13,935,304 times
Here’s a good article about control of nutsedges in turf grasses. There are a lot of nuances based on not harming the good grass. I’d never heard of your invasive sedge (weed) until now and keeping it at bay seems an excellent idea.

https://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheet/nutsedge/

Old 09-13-2020, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Are you in some kind of HOA? That's the only reason I can think of for having a community irrigation system that you have no personal authority and control over.

Does the lawn service company also service all the other residences in your entire community and do other residents have the same infestations in their lawns?

Does whoever has the final say-so about the sprinklers also have the final say-so and authority about giving work orders and paying and hiring and firing of the lawn service people who were responsible for bringing an infestation of noxious weeds to you? The lawn service people who brought you the noxious infestation should be responsible for getting rid of it and whoever is in control of the irrigation system should be paying for it.

If you have no control or authority over whether or not the sprinklers can be shut off on your lawn then you have no independent control over the condition of your lawn (it's like it's not really even your own lawn to do as you please with) and therefore the the condition of the lawn should be the problem to be resolved and paid for by whoever has ultimate authority over the sprinklers which are contributing to the problem.

Believe it or not the irrigation is part of the HOA and water is very expensive here, so it was a selling feature. However it is zoned for 3 homes and the community was built on a former golf course, so some homes are sandy and others clay. Water here is expensive and so we kind of are thankful that the HOA bites the bullet on the water (well) and electricity. We are responsible for our own lawns and we pick the person who does it. To answer your question, yes others have it too, but some to a lesser degree than others and some worse.

Since lawn care is on the individual home owner, I would think we would have to prove where it came from for them to resolve it, and driving that would be near impossible. Also, the difference in individual properties in terms of sandy and clay will also play into it and they could easily blame it on that.

So, to the original question, I can pay to have my other lawn company ( fertilizer etc.) treat the Kyllinga but, I am thinking that unless I can change the other conditions I am throwing good money after bad and reinfestation will no doubt occur again. If that is the case I will buy Sedgehammer and just treat it myself. We had over 5 inches of rain about a month ago and the day before an inch and a half and then another 5 last week, so that was the start and then before it had a chance to really dry out we got warm and the sprinklers were on and then the second 5 inches came last week. I doubt it ever recovered from the original deluge.

Old 09-13-2020, 12:23 PM

14,658 posts, read 14,753,943 times
Thanks for the explanation above. ^

I agree with luv4horses that an effort should be made to keep it at bay. It's nasty stuff.

Old 09-13-2020, 12:37 PM

Thank you Luv and Z. I will get right on it.

This is what this lovely thing looks like. I thought my weeds on Long Island were bad.

https://www.ipmimages.org/browse/det...imgnum=1117008

All those little balls on the top are seed pods waiting to drop. The first time I saw them they had nested in my lirope. Finally gave up and ditched the Lirope. That was before I saw the lawn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden