Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2020, 08:42 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,975,035 times

Advertisements

I planted a small 30" October Glory red maple sapling, and the very next day all of the leaves were missing. The following day put a cage around it to protect it from deer, but nothing has happened yet.

There are, I think, some tiny leaf buds at the base of two pairs of branches. It's been about 10 days since I put the cage around it and nothing noticeable has happened. Are these buds for the following spring? Or is the thing just dead? I'm not sure when Red Maples bud out.

Any way to tell if the thing is alive? I don't want to leave a cage in my front yard for 7 months if it's dead. But I don't want to toss it if it's still fighting to live (I'm a softie for half dead struggling plants).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2020, 11:09 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
That tree is going to go dormant for winter now so you can forget about new replacement leaves. The deer just gave it a head start. The tree is still alive and is no where near dying but at this time of year maples are preparing to drop all their leaves and go dormant, they don't grow new leaves. So it's unlikely you'll see any new leaf growth between now and next spring. Any little buds you see now are called "resting buds" that will "rest" dormant over the winter and will be growing next spring and summer.

Old 09-17-2020, 12:10 PM

45,323 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
That tree is going to go dormant for winter now so you can forget about new replacement leaves. The deer just gave it a head start. The tree is still alive and is no where near dying but at this time of year maples are preparing to drop all their leaves and go dormant, they don't grow new leaves. So it's unlikely you'll see any new leaf growth between now and next spring. Any little buds you see now are called "resting buds" that will "rest" dormant over the winter and will be growing next spring and summer.

Just in time to provide a mid-Spring salad snack for the deer.

Make sure your fencing is far enough away from the tree or high enough that the deer can't reach over to snag the top.

Old 09-17-2020, 12:30 PM

5,143 posts, read 3,076,394 times
Be thankful they didn’t strip the bark.

Old 09-17-2020, 01:07 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Just in time to provide a mid-Spring salad snack for the deer.

Make sure your fencing is far enough away from the tree or high enough that the deer can't reach over to snag the top.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
Be thankful they didn’t strip the bark.
Good points!

OP, you need to keep a cage around the tree so the deer can't come back and strip the bark and twigs off the tree too. If they get at the bark the tree will be toast.

Old 09-17-2020, 01:58 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
ive been seeing more deer activity around my house the last couple of weeks. ive had to start up my deer repelling activities. its fun.

Last edited by CaptainNJ; 09-17-2020 at 02:24 PM..

Old 09-17-2020, 02:15 PM

7,235 posts, read 5,114,062 times
If they're messing with your sapling, then the area is over-populated with deer. We need more hunters to keep the populations in check now that we've screwed up the natural predator-prey balance.

Old 09-17-2020, 06:33 PM

34,994 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Bring on the wolves or coyotes, seriously. We need some predation to again make deer wild animals, fearful of people and their surroundings.

Old 09-17-2020, 07:04 PM

4,190 posts, read 2,501,136 times
It should be OK. Leave the cage. If its a hard winter and even if its mild, its a tasty treat for the critters. I have two maples and the cages have been around them since I put them in, one was two years ago. Don't worry about the aesthetics since in the long term it will pay off and anyone who knows trees will know you are doing it right.

Old 09-17-2020, 07:35 PM

78,331 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Good points!

OP, you need to keep a cage around the tree so the deer can't come back and strip the bark and twigs off the tree too. If they get at the bark the tree will be toast.

Sage advice, we had bucks in my old neighborhood that loved nice saplings to rub their antlers on that would leave them bark stripped and soon to be dead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden