Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2008, 12:56 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times

Advertisements

I've got a very old walnut tree that I'm guessing is 100 yrs old because its so wide I can't get my arms around. By neighbors accounts this tree still produces. Problem is ivy grew up 3/4 length of the whole tree and the home inspector advised me to cut the tree down because of the ivy, the slope it's on, and potential for undermining my foundation. Google says they only last 70 yrs.

I really love this tree and would rather keep it so I'm cutting the roots of the ivy to starve it off, but I'm wondering if I'll have to climb to pull it all off the trunks. Will it just rot off by itself, or will the vines not break down and continue to choke? This tree is taller than 3 stories of the house.
I'm also not sure if its a neccessary expense to hire a pro arborist to trim it back away from the house, or even what a fair price for their work would be. Not sure how healthy it is or isn't.
Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2008, 10:25 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Google says they only last 70 yrs.
Don't believe that, these trees can live well over one hundred years. I would go ahead and cut back the ivy, maybe even spray some of it with Brush-B-Gone. The dead ivy hanging in the tree will eventually get brittle and fall down, but it will take awhile. I had to do the same thing with wisteria in a oak tree. It might be wise to get a certified arborist (not a tree trimmer) to come and check the tree out, just to make sure it's roots are in good shape.

Old 05-06-2008, 12:42 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,118,863 times
You can also call your local extension office and speak to the Urban Forester agent

Old 05-06-2008, 01:36 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times
thanks for the advice. That extension office would fit right in my budget. I hope I won't need an arborist because I need to put the money in the house, but I'd be worried about letting any old yahoo with a chainsaw hurt it. I'm too chicken to climb myself.
The google hits about it seem to lean more toward looking at these trees as timber/veneer worth. What a shame.
I came across this entertaining cultivator of walnuts story if anyone cares for a chuckle.
Growing and Processing Black Walnuts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden