U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2008, 09:33 PM

180 posts, read 883,437 times

Advertisements

I have this old rose bush. It's about 18 years old now. It was started from a cut from a bush from my mom who got her cut from a bush from her mom around 30 years ago. My mom's 88 years old... so this bush goes way back.

It suddenly started blooming only in the bottom section. It will grow up and vine to the top of our arbor but no blooms above the first 24 inches!

Why? what do I need to do? Please don't tell me this is the end of the generational rose bush!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2008, 11:15 PM

893 posts, read 2,429,586 times
Hi
I know one lady who could really help you with but she belongs to the National Home Gardening, or gardeningclub.com and you have to belong to post on the threads..I'm always asking her questions and she has lots of special old roses..
Do you have a rose club, check with your local master gardeners and see if they can point you to someone who knows treasures like you have...
Good luck

Old 05-07-2008, 06:10 AM

13,155 posts, read 16,663,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamh View Post
Hi
I know one lady who could really help you with but she belongs to the National Home Gardening, or gardeningclub.com and you have to belong to post on the threads..I'm always asking her questions and she has lots of special old roses..
Do you have a rose club, check with your local master gardeners and see if they can point you to someone who knows treasures like you have...
Good luck
Gardeningclub.com doesn't look like there's a fee for registering. Even if there is, if I had an heirloom rose like this, I'd consider it worth joining just for that alone. The site appears to be very good for all sorts of other gardening intrests and projects. As with all these types of sites, it's for the posters (like here) that we join so that we can all benefit from each other's mistakes and successes. Go for it, mamh, and let us know what you find out! Good luck!

Old 05-07-2008, 08:43 AM

893 posts, read 2,429,586 times
On the rose question its something I can't answer, you need to go find Arties Mom in roses section of gardening club.com and ask her...I would first check locally for a rose group, i'm sure someone at your master gardeners info desk can help you..Our master gardener desk has a list of local groups for all types of gardening
Good luck..

Old 05-07-2008, 10:19 AM

180 posts, read 883,437 times
Thank you! I will check it out! I sure don't want to lose this wonderful bush..... it's lived everywhere I have!

Old 05-07-2008, 07:14 PM

38,322 posts, read 44,089,369 times
Have you tried pruning it back. Roses bloom best on new growth.

Old 05-13-2008, 07:35 PM

6,930 posts, read 10,172,911 times
Maybe a potassium deficiency..... We eat a lot of bananas in our family, and I have a plastic container with a lid on it in my laundry room, just for banana skins. About once/week, take 1-2 banana skins, turn them upside down so the skin is facing up, and push them down in the soil around the root of the rose bush. I repeat this process from February to October, and have been doing this for years. The rose bush leaves are glossy, there are tons of buds, and the bushes look very healthy. I believe they keep away aphids, also. Won't hurt to try it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden