Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2021, 09:05 AM

2,038 posts, read 4,552,842 times

Advertisements

In the picture with the little bush trying to come up, they look like orange day lily plants (or possibly another type of lily). Our neighbors have a whole patch of them. Some have spread into my yard (luckily by my little pond where they look quite nice when they bloom).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2021, 01:51 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,090,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Agree, it looks like some sort of a bulb, not crocus, leaves are wrong. Looks more like a hyacinth, maybe daffodils.
I think hyacinth is the flower I was thinking of when I said crocus.

OP - wait a few weeks and see what they bloom into..... post a picture then!

Old 04-03-2021, 03:03 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,584,054 times
The one in the 4th pic (in the rocks) I have too. I've always thought it was a type of vetch, but I'm not sure if that's it. It's sort of sticky feeling if you pull it up. I know it appears every spring and dies off during the summer.

Old 04-03-2021, 05:43 PM

12,963 posts, read 9,481,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo Gibby View Post
I think the first photo is crab grass (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digitaria)

The second one could be buttercup as Diana Holbrook says or it could be creeping charlie (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glechoma_hederacea).

Both are weeds that you will probably struggle to contain even after you think you've gotten rid of all of it.
I agree the first is crabgrass. Considering it's in an isolated area, you could just buy a spray bottle of Roundup at Home Depot and give it a shot or two. They also make a specific crabgrass killer, I believe.

The second picture looks to me a lot like liriope, or commonly called monkey grass. If that's what it is, it's tough as nails, but can also be killed with Roundup - eventually. Seattle doesn't have very cold winters so it should grow there, but I'm not sure the summers are warm enough. Anyway, here's the wikipedia writeup on it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liriope_(plant)

The third picture seems to have a combination of weedy things and not much grass.

The lawn in front of the blue house in the second picture looks nice. Can't tell if that's the OP's or not.

Old 04-07-2021, 09:08 PM

2,910 posts, read 1,358,513 times
I don't know what it's called, but the grass in that first photo is most definitely not crab grass. I've dealt with grab grass and that is not it. Crab grass is rare in the Puget Sound region. Lots of people here believe they have crabgrass when they actually have some other kind of grass. I think it's because there are so many ads selling products to kill it.

It should come out pretty easily, including the roots. Just slip a shovel about 3-4 inches deep under it. Then carefully pull it out so you get all the roots, and knock the dirt off on the back of the shovel.

Pictures #1, #2, and #3 on your last link seem to be buttercup, along with some other weeds, and lawn grass. Buttercup is tough to get rid of and it always seems to come back.

#4 is known by many names–cleavers, bedstraw, catchweed bedstraw, grip grass, etc. It's easy to remove. Pull out every plant you see and then the new plants that come up whenever you see them. If you keep on top of it they'll be gone in a couple of years.

The stems and leaves of this plant feel a bit like velcro and they stick to your clothes. They have seeds that cause tangles in long-haired animal's hairs

#5 More of that buttercup looking weed.

#6 Lawn and dandelions. You don't have very many dandelions so you might want to take them out the organic method with a 4-claw dandelion weeder. This is one of my favorite garden tools. It gets down into the soil and pulls up enough root to kill the dandelions. And it can be used to pull weed grasses out of a lawn without leaving a big hole

#7 I think that's oxalis, a clover lookalike. It tends to pop up in semi-shady spots like that one and in lawns where the grass gives it shade.

It's a bit of an annoying weed so you may want to pull it, but it's not a big problem like buttercup. It's best to get it before it flowers of course.

#8 Future flowers (flowering bulbs).

#9 A couple of weeds I recognize but don't know the name of, more flowering bulbs, hairy bittercress, cat's ear, etc., and in the back one that stump by the fence is - shudder - ivy!

Ivy is a noxious weed in the PNW. It takes over forests, kills trees, takes fences apart, removes siding, etc. You get the idea. Dig it out and get as much of the root as you can. You'll have to check on a couple of times this year as it's impossible to get all the roots on the first pass, but herbicide is not necessary. I know. I've cleared large areas of ivy. We have weeds here that are much harder to clear away than ivy.

If it were up to me, I would give up on the bulbs and just dig the heck out of that section, then cover everything up with a 6-12 inches of barkdust. Then give it a year to make sure nothing comes up.

#10 That weed with the white flowers is hairy bittercress (Cardamine hirsuta). It's an edible salad green that tastes pretty good (as long as the neighborhood dogs haven't been watering the garden.
It's not a big deal as a weed, although it can take over bare areas. Run a hoe over it a couple of times and it's gone. A few more plants will pop up in a week of course, but just keep hoeing them and they will eventually give up. A stirrup hoe works especially good on it and other shallow-rooted weeds. Be sure to get it out before it goes to seed because the seed pods broadcast the seeds everywhere. The best solution is to put in ground cover or mulch to discourage weeds from starting up.

#11 Weed grass. Dig and pull that one and the two to the left of it and make sure to get all the roots. Otherwise it will take over your lawn and it will look messy.

#12 Roses among flower bulbs.

#13 More bulbs.

#14 Same as first photo.

Old 04-08-2021, 12:42 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,533,504 times
Forgot to say that with the rose coming up, if it blooms a 2 inch red flower with yellow stamens then your rose turned into the root stock Dr Huey. Click on the photos tab for more photos. It will only bloom once with the Spring flush. It can be kind of pretty but with all of the roses that bloom more then once, why waste the space on a once bloomer? If you drive around your neighborhood, you may notice that lots of people have the same rose.

It's usually because someone bought a hybrid tea from Depot, Lowes or Walmart, the hybrid tea died off.

The link I left also says it's thornless or doesn't have many thorns.

Old 04-08-2021, 06:39 AM

2,910 posts, read 1,358,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Forgot to say that with the rose coming up, if it blooms a 2 inch red flower with yellow stamens then your rose turned into the root stock Dr Huey. Click on the photos tab for more photos. It will only bloom once with the Spring flush. It can be kind of pretty but with all of the roses that bloom more then once, why waste the space on a once bloomer? If you drive around your neighborhood, you may notice that lots of people have the same rose.

It's usually because someone bought a hybrid tea from Depot, Lowes or Walmart, the hybrid tea died off.

The link I left also says it's thornless or doesn't have many thorns.
Two long-time mysteries solved. A house I lived at years ago had one of those in the yard, and I loved it. Now I know the name and where to get another one (just buy a grafted rose and hack the top off ) and I know what rose is used by the industry for grafting onto. Thanks!

Old 04-08-2021, 07:46 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,533,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry-Koala View Post
Two long-time mysteries solved. A house I lived at years ago had one of those in the yard, and I loved it. Now I know the name and where to get another one (just buy a grafted rose and hack the top off ) and I know what rose is used by the industry for grafting onto. Thanks!

You're very welcome. I know some people actually like Dr Huey and continue to grow it after they know their rose died.

There's another rose used too, but if it's red with yellow, it's the doctor lol

Old 04-17-2021, 06:21 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,036,696 times
The first photo looks like crabgrass. The third photo is wild strawberry, I believe. I have that too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden