Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2021, 11:32 AM

227 posts, read 146,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
It's a baby maple tree that is getting too much direct sunlight and has what's called sun scorch, it's suffering from UV damage. You can't treat it like it's a well established, weathered adult tree that is hardened to the sun, you have to treat it like the baby that it is. Just a baby with tender, sensitive skin that burns easily.

Give it dappled shade/light and make sure when you water it that it's just enough to make the soil evenly moist, not wet. When soil is saturated at intervals it makes the soil drain too rapidly and then it dries up too quickly. That plant needs to be in part sun/part shade or in 24 hours daily dappled shade until it's around 5 feet tall then you can move it to a sunnier location where it gets a few more hours of direct sun every day.

did i put the seeds correctly in the boxes? theyre in the same location as the silver maple seedling. I will move them out into pots once they germinate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2021, 11:55 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,033,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherdude123 View Post
did i put the seeds correctly in the boxes? theyre in the same location as the silver maple seedling. I will move them out into pots once they germinate.
I guess it will have to do, but that is a very dry bright spot so watch them like a hawk and keep the soil moist at all times, also mist the surface at mid day and don't allow the surface to dry out. As soon as you see germination occurring on each plant get it out of there and into a deeper container of its own

By the way, in case you're wondering why your succulents leaves are red around the edges and your geraniums are doing rather poorly it's because of the over-bright sunlight and the earth is baked hard into a crust on the surface from being too dry. There isn't enough air circulation and humidity being allowed in the soil because of that baked crust - you need to break up that crust and loosen the soil a bit, and you have GOT to apply water more frequently to help prevent the soil from forming a hard crust like that.

Old 05-23-2021, 04:16 PM

Quote:
I guess it will have to do, but that is a very dry bright spot so watch them like a hawk and keep the soil moist at all times, also mist the surface at midday and don't allow the surface to dry out. As soon as you see germination occurring on each plant get it out of there and into a deeper container of its own

By the way, in case you're wondering why your succulents leaves are red around the edges and your geraniums are doing rather poorly it's because of the over-bright sunlight, and the earth is baked hard into a crust on the surface from being too dry. There isn't enough air circulation and humidity being allowed in the soil because of that baked crust - you need to break up that crust and loosen the soil a bit, and you have GOT to apply water more frequently to help prevent the soil from forming a hard crust like that.

I drenched the soil with water a few days ago. dries fast, like paint, even on cool days. will follow your advice. It's also odd because this area of the garden is heavily shaded by Indian basil and a large jacaranda but in the evening, strong rays of sunlight dominate for a few hours. does that soil need amendment it doesn't even look like soil anymore, it looks like a baked rock.

Old 05-23-2021, 04:22 PM

Quote:
I guess it will have to do, but that is a very dry bright spot so watch them like a hawk and keep the soil moist at all times, also mist the surface at mid day and don't allow the surface to dry out. As soon as you see germination occurring on each plant get it out of there and into a deeper container of its own

By the way, in case you're wondering why your succulents leaves are red around the edges and your geraniums are doing rather poorly it's because of the over-bright sunlight and the earth is baked hard into a crust on the surface from being too dry. There isn't enough air circulation and humidity being allowed in the soil because of that baked crust - you need to break up that crust and loosen the soil a bit, and you have GOT to apply water more frequently to help prevent the soil from forming a hard crust like that.

The biggest issue is that I'm a 15-year-old kid who has to live in my mom AND my dad's house, one on the weekends, and the other on the weekdays. This effectively destroys my ability to care for the garden. All the photos are from my dad's house. The London planes I planted earlier do much better in my mom's cool, shaded apartment than the open, bright backyard of my dad's house.

Old 05-23-2021, 06:58 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,344,993 times
I had no idea I could sell all of those annoying seed pods from silver maples and others on Etsy. New retirement plan for me.

In the Midwest, Silver maples are considered cheap trees and not desirable. The back yard of my childhood home had several. My father and a neighbor went out one evening to some land that was about to be plowed over for development and dug up dozens of them. They both planted some and gave the others away to other neighbors. Every few years I drive down the street where I was raised. The trees are still there.

The pods from the neighbor's trees land in our gutters and driveway. I'd send them to you for free if you were an adult. I can't do that for a 15 year old. Our red maple was hit by lightening so is no more.

BTW--it's awesome that you're experimenting with gardening and growing at your age. Keep trying and keep learning.

Old 05-24-2021, 02:21 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,033,548 times
Quote:
I drenched the soil with water a few days ago. dries fast, like paint, even on cool days. will follow your advice. It's also odd because this area of the garden is heavily shaded by Indian basil and a large jacaranda but in the evening, strong rays of sunlight dominate for a few hours. does that soil need amendment it doesn't even look like soil anymore, it looks like a baked rock.
Quote:
The biggest issue is that I'm a 15-year-old kid who has to live in my mom AND my dad's house, one on the weekends, and the other on the weekdays. This effectively destroys my ability to care for the garden. All the photos are from my dad's house. The London planes I planted earlier do much better in my mom's cool, shaded apartment than the open, bright backyard of my dad's house.
Yes, it should be amended - you can do that by incorporating some organic material into it to soften, loosen and fluff up the hard earth and to retain moisture for longer, and it will provide some nutrients to the soil too as it breaks down.

If you can get hold of some short dry grass clippings and some sawdust or very tiny wood chips or bark chips and dried, crumbly fallen leaves that should help. Mix the organic material together then stir the mixture right into the top 4 inches of soil (not just left on top of the soil) around the plants. Then water it all thoroughly.

The organic material will break down in the soil and will need to have more mixed into the soil from time to time but it will definitely benefit the soil and the plants' roots. As time progresses with more additions of organic material you will see and feel the soil soften and fluff up and change colour from light grey to brown and you'll see and feel the difference in the way it retains moisture for longer.

Maybe you could ask your dad if he can help you acquire some organic materials from local landscapers or lawn mowing service contractors.

Old 06-21-2021, 04:57 PM

[IMG]CD7A9370-931E-4FAA-B197-4D5C0FB98731 by Soumil Yarlagadda[/IMG]
So many baby maples (ACER RUBRUM)

Old 06-21-2021, 05:00 PM

[IMG]3EB7BDED-E32D-4F96-9E2A-9FB73AC2C554 by Soumil Yarlagadda[/IMG]

Another Maple

Old 06-21-2021, 05:01 PM

[IMG]F6721203-499B-4AD5-BD93-3731A1F21A53 by Soumil Yarlagadda[/IMG]

Silver maple sprout (acer saccharinum)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden