Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2021, 01:39 PM

17 posts, read 70,232 times

Advertisements

Hi y'all

I have a Night Blooming Jasmine (Cestrum nocturnum) in a 4 gallon pot and under a full spectrum LED.
It looks great at the moment, even though I haven't watered it in 3-4 weeks. The soil is bone dry all the way to the bottom. It seems like it hates to be watered. Every time I water, about 20% of the leaves will turn yellow and drop. You'd think I was overwatering, but 16oz of water poured onto a bone dry 4 gallon pot should get these results....
Should I just wait for the plant to wilt before giving it water?
Attached Thumbnails
Night Blooming Jasmine Watering Needs?-cestrum-nocturnum.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2021, 05:57 PM

63 posts, read 46,813 times
The pot sounds like it could be root bound. Tap the sides of the pot and remove the plant from the pot to check the roots. Plants that remain in pots can develop hard pack areas and not absorb water. I have jasmine and don’t seem to have the issue you describe. I change pots when the plant shows signs like leaf drop yellowing leaves. Add slow release fertilizer for flowering plants.
Once repotted it takes a few weeks for the plant to recover.

Old 06-11-2021, 07:55 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
OP, you said you have a night blooming jasmine but the picture shows what looks like several small plants, not a single plant in the pot. Are those separate cuttings that you are rooting and/or are they several already started small plants with individual root systems or are they the pegged down branches of a single plant that has been buried deep in the soil to cover the crown of the plant's root system and the main leader stem?

Old 06-12-2021, 11:23 AM

It's 4 cuttings together... so 4 root systems from the same original plant.
It was repotted about 4 or 5 months ago from a smaller container. It's my understanding that Night Blooming Jasmine won't bloom until it's root bound.

Old 06-13-2021, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormRoyale View Post
It's 4 cuttings together... so 4 root systems from the same original plant.
It was repotted about 4 or 5 months ago from a smaller container. It's my understanding that Night Blooming Jasmine won't bloom until it's root bound.
The cuttings look healthy enough but I think it will take longer for them to become root bound under false light than it would take if they were exposed to some real natural light supplementation that actually feeds them with some real solar energy.

Night blooming jasmine isn't a real jasmine, it's a tropical member of the nightshade family and therefore it needs some solar light for it to bloom and it needs access to water on a regular basis.

I'm going to suggest that you water the pot lightly from the bottom once a week with the container placed inside a deep drain dish to pour the water into and always keep about a 1/4 inch of water in the bottom of the the dish, instead of flooding it so heavily from the top every 2 or 3 weeks. That way the new roots that are growing will be encouraged to grow faster and will lightly but consistently take up water from wetter regions of the soil below as needed. It's normal for solanums/nightshades to drop leaves from the bottom of the stems as new leaves are forming at the tops.

I don't know if you are aware of this so will mention the importance of this. Being a tropical nightshade plant, all parts of night blooming jasmine are toxic, including the scent vapours from the flowers and in particular the berries are highly toxic. Wear gloves when handling and if you have pets or children in your house make sure that they don't have any access to the plants and make sure there is always adequate ventilation in proximity to the plant. If you keep it inside of your house then if/when it starts blooming and emitting its strong scent from the flowers it will be very important that the plant is placed very close to some outside ventilation or else put outdoors, especially at night. That way there will be less risk of you and anyone else in the house becoming overwhelmed with respiratory, nose, throat, inner ear and eye problems caused by the toxic scent vapours coming from the flowers.

I found a bit of additional information about that online in case you're interested:

Problems With Night Blooming Jasmine: https://www.hunker.com/12003855/prob...ooming-jasmine

Last edited by Zoisite; 06-13-2021 at 01:52 PM..

Old 06-15-2021, 12:56 PM

Thank you SO much!

Old 06-15-2021, 01:56 PM

You're welcome, and good luck!

Old 06-15-2021, 05:28 PM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
..I don't know if you are aware of this so will mention the importance of this. Being a tropical nightshade plant, all parts of night blooming jasmine are toxic, including the scent vapours from the flowers and in particular the berries are highly toxic.
Thanks for this info, I had no idea. We planted one of these along side our house in Hawaii. The fragrance is wonderful.

In the wet areas of Hawaii I've noticed that this plant is extremely hardy and easily roots from cut pieces casually tossed about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden