U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2022, 04:54 PM

6,944 posts, read 5,480,516 times

Advertisements

Just picked up a new set of hand pruners for the season.

For as much as I use them, they get quite a workout.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2022, 07:48 PM

My EGO cordless blower has more than paid for itself.

Old 05-16-2022, 06:58 PM

1,852 posts, read 940,383 times
Well, it’s kind of a garden tool: I would have to say my Kawasaki trimmer. I use it to edge all throughout the yard. It is a pro machine and works flawlessly with ease. I’ve had it for six years.

Other than that it would be a spade, shovel, and rake. I also have a couple old school hedge trimmers but I have my eye on a gas hedge trimmer. In the very near future I expect battery powered machines will replace my gas machines. Looking forward to that.

Old 05-20-2022, 07:14 AM

Your trimmer sounds like my EGO cordless blower…there is nothing it won’t tackle….leaves (dry or wet), grass clippings, mulch, you name it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
Well, it’s kind of a garden tool: I would have to say my Kawasaki trimmer. I use it to edge all throughout the yard. It is a pro machine and works flawlessly with ease. I’ve had it for six years.

Other than that it would be a spade, shovel, and rake. I also have a couple old school hedge trimmers but I have my eye on a gas hedge trimmer. In the very near future I expect battery powered machines will replace my gas machines. Looking forward to that.

Old 06-04-2022, 04:44 AM

48,171 posts, read 21,897,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
The Root Slayer long handled trowel is my latest favorite tool. It sure saves on some bending and stooping.
https://www.gardeners.com/buy/root-s...s/8597385.html

Also, the usual suspects, like waterproof gloves, pruners, and my new plant markers passion, which are used corks on a skewer. You write on the cork with a sharpie and have a nice recycled marker that blends in with the plants.
Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.Love this root slayer.

I've been planting berries this spring and this tool does the trick. So much easier to cut through that top layer and down through the roots.

Has saved my knees and shoulders, I'll tell you.

Old 06-04-2022, 08:32 AM

1,421 posts, read 884,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I have probably used my mattock for more things than I can count. Every time I have had to remove a tree trunk/roots or an old dead shrub, that thing is just invaluable, especially when paired with my 30lb digging bar.
I didn't know what a mattock was, so I looked it up.

Similar to a pick axe. Sometimes called a grub axe here in North America. Combines a vertical axe blade with a horizontal adze blade. Been around since the Bronze Age!

Looks pretty handy.

Old 06-06-2022, 08:28 PM

35,596 posts, read 41,702,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyMae521 View Post
I didn't know what a mattock was, so I looked it up.

Similar to a pick axe. Sometimes called a grub axe here in North America. Combines a vertical axe blade with a horizontal adze blade. Been around since the Bronze Age!

Looks pretty handy.
Always heard it called a mattock (I am on the east coast) - never even heard of "grub axe".
To clarify, mine is a cutter mattock. I would have to choose it as probably my #1 tool in my shed.

It looks similar to this one.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Razor-Ba...7000/206341184

Old 06-16-2022, 07:14 PM

3,770 posts, read 3,601,680 times
I could not garden without my Japanese farmer's knife, also known as a hori-hori knife. I bought mine years ago from Lee Valley Tools. The stainless steel blade looks as good today as when I bought it. I use it to dig out weeds, dig holes for bulbs, saw tough weeds with the serrated side, etc. Here is an expensive version of it:
https://www.gardeners.com/buy/garden...e/8608888.html

If you do buy one, I recommend the stainless steel blade that is not coated in some sort of black coating. I used mine constantly.

Old 07-23-2022, 12:55 PM

958 posts, read 476,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
Any more reports on Grandpa weeder? It looks awesome. I might get one.
I got one, it works OK.

Old 07-23-2022, 12:59 PM

11,091 posts, read 5,357,187 times
Being able to hire help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden