U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 04:09 PM

5,398 posts, read 7,487,472 times
Default Natural "Fence"/Border

So here is the problem fellow Green Thumbers:

I have a 3 foot wall that divides my property from my wonderful neighbors. They just bought a husky (6 mos. old) that is pretty big.
we want to make sure the dog does not jump the fence/wall or bites anyone.

my neighbor wants to put an unsilghtly rail or wire atop the 3 ft wall. Luckily i convinced her of a more "Natural Barrier" like a bogambilia.

So my question is what can we plant in intervals that will grow up to 4 ft and then be trained to go sideways, in opposite directions? in essence adding another foot of barrier.

i have heard jasmine might be good, even a climinbing rose or a clymatus, but i would like it to be dense yet not too much trouble to maintain. and NO ivy please.

any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008, 05:07 PM

1,910 posts, read 2,399,782 times
Where do you live? If you live in south Florida, I would recommend planting Simpson's Stopper (Myrcianthes fragrans). It is fast growing, full, and needs no trimming. It will grow to about 8-10 feet tall. Were you referring to bougainvillea? That is a very thorny vine and would take a lot of trimming and training to do what you want to do.

Old 05-15-2008, 05:58 PM

5,972 posts, read 11,618,486 times
Why not boxwood? They are grown as hedges. I believe there are several varieties that grow to different heights and different zones.

Old 05-15-2008, 06:01 PM

4,656 posts, read 4,555,223 times
As someone who used to live in a house with 3 Huskies, believe me when I say you want a fence. I mean a real fence, and preferably a tall one. You can plant in front of it to disguise it, but a plant will not grow fast enough to stop a dog who is already six months old, imho. Even a mature plant would probably not deter a determined husky from getting out. The biggest factor will actually be how much your neighbor exercises the dog, but that's a different forum.

We could suggest some plants to hide the fence, but knowing where you live would be helpful.

Old 05-15-2008, 06:04 PM

8,192 posts, read 18,538,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
As someone who used to live in a house with 3 Huskies, believe me when I say you want a fence. I mean a real fence, and preferably a tall one. You can plant in front of it to disguise it, but a plant will not grow fast enough to stop a dog who is already six months old, imho. Even a mature plant would probably not deter a determined husky from getting out. The biggest factor will actually be how much your neighbor exercises the dog, but that's a different forum.

We could suggest some plants to hide the fence, but knowing where you live would be helpful.
As the owner of high energy large dogs (past & present) I will have to agree. Plants are not going to stop a large dog. My last dog gleefully jumped horse jumps both tall and wide. Unless you bring in mature, solid hedges 6 foot tall it will not be much of a deterrent if the dog is inclined to jump.

Old 05-16-2008, 12:51 AM

OH NOOO!!!!!

thanks for the help guys.

well, i live in the los angeles area, so i doubt the climate will be much of a problem. at least i hope not. and honestly the biggest concern is that dog jumping over the fence.

i seen huskies jump and i was hoping the neighbor would give the dog basic training so that it wouldnt do stuff like that. the "fence" is a cinder block wall that is only 3 ft. as for taking the dog on walks, i can convince the neighbor boy to do it daily. he likes hanging on the block like some tuff... ill convince him he looks cool.

so the plants...
hedges were recomended but i really dont like them too much. plus this lady would like white flowers to go with her white landscape theme.

also, i would like some thing fragrant because sometimes they dont scoop the poop too quick.

lookin at jasmine i dont know if it will do the trick

maybe a white bogamvillea(?)

what about tree roses with a climbing rose between them?

i want to make sure it is sturdy and keeps the dog away, but i dont want the kids getting tangled up in thorns and such.

if worse comes to worse maybe nailing some long planters along the top ofthe wall with some plants will work...

man im gettin doubts about this natural fence thing.

i just dont want any tacky jail railing...

Old 05-16-2008, 07:19 AM

24,228 posts, read 28,505,746 times
Are you looking for an immediate solution? Because I'm not sure anything "natural" will grow fast enough to contain a large dog right away. The dog would probably jump through anything you can plant anyway.

Your best bet for something now may be to somehow attach sections of lattice or trellis to your wall, which will contain the dog immediately, then plant roses or something that in time will cover the lattice.

You could try rosemary. In your climate, it will grow quite tall and can be trained in various forms.

Old 05-16-2008, 07:30 AM

7,337 posts, read 10,190,509 times
Yea time is an unfriendly variable here.

Each time I am in LA, I see some kind of evergreen that lots of people have for barriers or even alone. Its very sleek and tall and can grow very high. Perhaps spend some bucks and procrure mature specimens?

Old 05-16-2008, 12:43 PM

you know ohio girl while laying up in bed last night... i had that same idea! i even desgined it in my head. thanks for the affirmation. i think i will tell our neighbor lady(NL) to put up white lattice (which is better than rail and wire), and we can plant some climber roses and a clymatus. THANKKS!!!

as for the rosemary it does grow tall but it is more bushy and i already have it in other places thru out my yard and the tiny flowers dont give that punch of white my NL would like.

I mean we cant always get what we want, but when we first built the wall i wanted a solid 4ft cinder block wall, she wanted to integrate some railing into it. i didnt. because of past dogs they had, and i think its a bit tacky. we couldnt agree so we settled on a 3ft stuccoed wall that looks rather nice, tall enough to keep the kids in, but short enough to sit on and talk over the fence with the neighbor.

but now with the dog the height issues comes back (and im thinking "i told you 4 ft would be better" while im sure shes thinking, "railing would have been perfect").

anyhow thanks, i think i will put in a meter or trellis that goes about a ft and a half above the 3ft wall and plant some roses to climb on it.

thanks guys again.

any other suggestions still welcomed.

Old 05-16-2008, 02:22 PM

1,845 posts, read 3,066,462 times
Quote:
Each time I am in LA, I see some kind of evergreen that lots of people have for barriers or even alone. Its very sleek and tall and can grow very high. Perhaps spend some bucks and procrure mature specimens?
That's Italian Cypress. Like you see in landscapes of Tuscany.

The lattice with roses on both sides sounds pretty.
Or... Since it's a cinder block wall, you could always add more rows of block up to your desired height, and then re-stucco it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden