Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2021, 06:29 AM

9,440 posts, read 5,204,944 times

Advertisements

majesty palm
dracena (two or three varieties)
succulents (many assosrted) I particularly love the little string of pearls
pothos
philodendron
english ivy
wandering jew (which I've been informed now has to be called purple princess because....someone said so)
breynia
cane plant
a couple of pepperomia varieties
a 'dying a slow death' schefflera. I have never done well with this plant....I should've known better

I went a bit wild with the plants during COVID
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2021, 08:01 AM

712 posts, read 554,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
majesty palm
pothos
philodendron
english ivy
wandering jew (which I've been informed now has to be called purple princess because....someone said so)
breynia
cane plant
a 'dying a slow death' schefflera. I have never done well with this plant....I should've known better

Share pictures please.

Old 11-27-2021, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
majesty palm
pothos
philodendron
english ivy
breynia
cane plant

Add: two African violets and a snake plant.

Pictures would take forever because they the plants are all over the house!

Old 11-27-2021, 10:38 AM

50,346 posts, read 63,928,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
Zamioculcas zamiifolia, Fiddle-leaf fig, and Janet Craig Dracaena.
I have a Zamioculcas too. Isn’t it just the greatest houseplant ever? It’s beautiful, hardly gets any bigger, and hardly needs any water or sun.

Old 11-27-2021, 11:27 AM

3,048 posts, read 1,150,651 times
The thing I'm most proud of at the moment is a long planter of mixed coleus that sits on a knee wall in our living room where it gets good light most of the day. My daughter and I planted them from seed this past spring, and I love how bright and cheerful they are.

Old 11-27-2021, 12:55 PM

3,881 posts, read 4,123,748 times
I have many, many, golden pothos,a few marble queen pothos, neon pothos, n'joy pothos (looking for cebu blue), several swedish ivy, ruby aglaonema, sanseveria, dracena, hindu rope, jade philodendron, lemon lime philodendron, birken philodendron, syngonium, berry allusion syngonium, austral gem ferns, (trying to propagate a gryphon begonia from outside for indoors right now), a few scindapsus pictus, brasil philodendron, unfortunately, anything that starts with "string of"... has died on me. I have about 100 or so baby spiders to pot up too. And after my TG company leaves, I'll hit up Lowes & Home Depot that are going to be clearing out a lot of houseplants this week that were out in the cold too long.
Oh yeah... and a wandering jew someone just gave me.

Old 11-27-2021, 01:38 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,020,182 times
I can't post pictures right now but they can be found on google images - as house-plants I have these, all of which are known to be highly efficient indoor air scrubbers.

20 phalaenopsis orchids, all are hybrids with unusually striking colours and patterns - some are up to 20 years old now

1 pickle plant succulent (delosperma echinatum) - it's so cute it just makes you want to cuddle it

1 narrow-leaf chalkstick succulent (senecio vitalis)

1 jade tree (crassula ovata) - grown from a cutting from a friend's 80 year old jade tree

1 dragon tree (dracaena marginata) having 4 main stems braided together

1 fiddle leaf fig tree (ficus lyrata)

1 flamingo flower plant (anthurium andraeanum) with red flowering leaves and now I'm looking for a white one too

1 norfolk pine tree (araucaria heterophylla) that is around 35 years old

1 African violet - a recently rescued plant that was dying so the flower colour and form is still unknown. It's my very first AV so I know little about them but I've had it for 5 weeks and it is thriving and growing all new leaves now that it's been repotted and has the company of other plants.

Old 11-27-2021, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
I have many, many, golden pothos,a few marble queen pothos, neon pothos, n'joy pothos (looking for cebu blue), several swedish ivy, ruby aglaonema, sanseveria, dracena, hindu rope, jade philodendron, lemon lime philodendron, birken philodendron, syngonium, berry allusion syngonium, austral gem ferns, (trying to propagate a gryphon begonia from outside for indoors right now), a few scindapsus pictus, brasil philodendron, unfortunately, anything that starts with "string of"... has died on me. I have about 100 or so baby spiders to pot up too. And after my TG company leaves, I'll hit up Lowes & Home Depot that are going to be clearing out a lot of houseplants this week that were out in the cold too long.
Oh yeah... and a wandering jew someone just gave me.
This is awesome!!

I love the string succulents. Never had one til I got the pearls as a tiny 3" plant. Slow and steady and it's doing very well.

Lost a really healthy spider to the first frost.

Old 11-27-2021, 02:55 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,787,820 times
Don't have a lot of houseplants; small house, limited window light exposure, and dry cold winters. I've had one purple Oxalis triangularis for almost 20 years. Never have any luck with the green ones. For some bizarre reason, almost all my plants are caudiciforms, mostly from East Africa and Madagascar, but I have one SE Asian Stephania pierrei. Right now I have Pachypodium brevicaule, Sarcocaulon multifidum, Euphorbia primulafolia, Euphorbia aureoviridiflora, Haworthia truncata, Ipomoea bolusiana crammed together under their intense winter lighting. Most don't have common names. Whether I "grow" them or not is debatable. I've owned some of them for over 15 years and they barely move, but they grow at a glacial pace even in habitat. Once in a while the Pachypodiums bloom which gives me hope. Everyone else greens up year after year so I know they're alive, but that's about all. Maybe its plant torture...

Hate C-D's photo loading options and can hardly ever make them work. Here's a link to a wonderful caudiciform information website with good representative photos of all those species:

http://www.bihrmann.com/caudiciforms/

Last edited by Parnassia; 11-27-2021 at 04:09 PM..

Old 11-27-2021, 04:07 PM

1,750 posts, read 2,399,696 times
I grow a few of the usual houseplants – pothos, philodendron, peace lily, snake plant, cat palm etc, but my favorite is my (formerly) accidental Turmeric.

I am fortunate enough to live near a number of inexpensive ethnic groceries. The Asian groceries all stock fresh turmeric root. I originally started to experiment with fresh turmeric in recipes due to its exceptional nutritional value and I’ve grown to like the taste. I usually keep some roots lying around. Usually they wither if they get too old. One day however, I noticed one root had started to sprout multiple shoots. I shrugged and tossed it into a pot with standard potting soil just out of curiosity.

It grew into a lovely two-foot-tall houseplant with multiple large lush leaves. I was very pleased with it until, in November, the leaves all turned yellow unexpectedly and it died. I was very sad and wondered where I went wrong. I meant to throw it out, but I set the pot down in the back of my storage room and forgot about it. I finally remembered in March, when I was looking for more pots for my vegetable seedlings. To my surprise, there were even more vigorous shoots in the pot, so I started watering it again. This time, I researched turmeric houseplants and found that, yes, they are supposed to do that. Turmeric will grow for 8 – 10 months, and then apparently die (it’s really just slipping into dormancy.) Now that I grow it on purpose, once the foliage dies, I dig up the root and divide it. I reserve part of the root for culinary use, and part I save and put back into potting soil to wait until the days are long enough in the spring.

I have several recipes that use fresh turmeric (ginger-turmeric tonic is a favorite.) When people ask me what that lovely houseplant is I modestly say “Oh, I’m just an amateur turmeric farmer.”

I would share a pic of my turmeric but it’s almost died back again now that it’s November. Here’s a link that shows some pics and explains how to grow your own in pots. It is an easy-growing unfussy tropical plant that likes bright indirect light and to be kept moist (not wet). https://www.babsprojects.com/grow-tu...plant-indoors/ I would not recommend trying to grow turmeric root sourced from large chain groceries such as Whole Foods. Those roots are almost always treated with radiation and/or preservatives so they won't grow. If you want to try growing your own either get some from one of the small ethnic groceries or buy it from a garden plant nursery.

Last edited by ersatz; 11-27-2021 at 04:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden