U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2021, 05:41 AM

6,609 posts, read 2,797,534 times

Advertisements

The woman who owns a coffee shop in my area said you can do the same thing with a ginger root. Haven't tried it yet because I have too many plants as it is, kinda. In the summer they are outside in a protected area. Inside this winter, they are kinda crammed near windows or in rooms that get enough light.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2021, 01:11 PM

9,067 posts, read 4,803,457 times
I've grown both turmeric and ginger from grocery store roots.
The After Dinner Gardening Book by Richard W. Langer is about growing plants from groceries. It inspired me to grow papaya, avocado, and mango trees. They were quite fussy because I lived near San Francisco.
Years later, I moved to Hawaii, where you just toss avocado pits into the yard to get trees, and papayas grew from the compost bin.

Old 11-28-2021, 01:29 PM

3,567 posts, read 5,697,729 times
Three genera of orchids, African violets, Thanksgiving cactus, Calathea, Philodrendron, and about a dozen kinds of succulents. I live in the Pacific Northwest and don't have enough windows with enough light to grow more succulents, but the ones I do have all bloom regularly, so they seem to like it ok here.

When I lived in California years ago, I had about 200 orchids and a few Stapelias, but just couldn't see moving that many plants when I headed north.

Old 11-28-2021, 04:26 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,087,404 times
I have different varieties of dracaena, pothos, rubber tree, ficus benjamin, schefflera, philodendron, a few succulents. My pride & joy is a large aloe vera. I'm also managing to keep an avocado tree going, that I grew from a pit & brought with us from SoCal. I did have a orchid that slowly died after spouse thought coffee grounds were a good idea.

On the porch I have a variety of potted seedlings...Douglas fir, shore pine, cedar, apple, pear, cherry.

Growing houseplants is challenging for me in the PNW, especially in the winter, when the light is so low & it's usually overcast & gray. I've tried a few varieties that I had in SoCal, like dieffenbachia, but they aren't happy here.

Last edited by happygrrrl; 11-28-2021 at 04:38 PM..

Old 11-28-2021, 04:55 PM

6,945 posts, read 5,480,516 times
https://www.bhg.com/gardening/housep...t-grow-lights/

One thing I have turned to are plant light bulbs and LED Plant Grow Lights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happygrrrl View Post
Growing houseplants is challenging for me in the PNW, especially in the winter, when the light is so low & it's usually overcast & gray. I've tried a few varieties that I had in SoCal, like dieffenbachia, but they aren't happy here.

Old 11-28-2021, 06:19 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,087,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
https://www.bhg.com/gardening/housep...t-grow-lights/

One thing I have turned to are plant light bulbs and LED Plant Grow Lights.
Yes, I've used fluorescent grow lights in the past...just bought a LED to get my avocado through the winter. The only problem is that it lights the room in bright purple!

Old 11-29-2021, 03:38 AM

I use the full spectrum bulbs:

SANSI Grow Light Bulb with COC Technology, PPF 65.6 umol/s LED Full Spectrum, 36W Grow Lamp (400 Watt Equivalent) with Optical Lens for High PPFD, Energy Saving Plant Lights for Seeding and Growing

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BRKG7X1

Quote:
Yes, I've used fluorescent grow lights in the past...just bought a LED to get my avocado through the winter. The only problem is that it lights the room in bright purple!

Old 11-29-2021, 05:14 AM

79,235 posts, read 66,756,482 times
Quote:
The color spectrum means a lot when growing plants.

6000k and higher is similar to summer daytime light (bright white). It's best for plants already in growth stage.

3000k (more softer yellow than white) promotes higher rates of photosynthesis which in return affects plant flowering and budding and essentially makes the yield of your plants bigger.

I personally like between 2500k-4500k for seedlings. They seem to like that best in my experience.

Also, the LED's produce no heat so its much different than flourescents.

Old 11-29-2021, 06:53 AM

3,882 posts, read 3,624,400 times
I have some full spectrum plant lights and many bright white daytime LED lights. Between 1000 and 1500 lumens and the plants are very happy. I strategically place corded pendant lights (all timed with smart plugs) around the house as I don't get much light in here as I'm in the woods and the back of a mountain is in my backyard. I just finished stringing up 3 new pendants last week.

Old 12-03-2021, 02:50 PM

Love the full spectrum plant lights.

Highly Recommend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
I have some full spectrum plant lights and many bright white daytime LED lights. Between 1000 and 1500 lumens and the plants are very happy. I strategically place corded pendant lights (all timed with smart plugs) around the house as I don't get much light in here as I'm in the woods and the back of a mountain is in my backyard. I just finished stringing up 3 new pendants last week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden