Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2021, 02:53 PM

10,889 posts, read 7,382,548 times

Advertisements

I've never had moles, but don't some people use peanut butter? The story I was told is they have no saliva, so they choke on the pb.

Might be an urban legend, or be about gophers or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2021, 03:25 PM

2,458 posts, read 2,476,905 times
I used some Juicy Fruit chewing gum last year, and it may have worked. The mole disappeared a few days later, but one of my yard cats could have nabbed it.

Old 12-11-2021, 04:37 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,028,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I've never had moles, but don't some people use peanut butter? The story I was told is they have no saliva, so they choke on the pb.

Might be an urban legend, or be about gophers or something.
I think that must be an urban legend. Moles and other rodents all have salivary glands and produce plenty of saliva. European moles and all types of shrews have saliva that is venomous, they use their saliva to paralyze their prey when they bite it. North American moles produce lots of saliva and it isn't venomous but it is mildly toxic enough to cause a skin reaction. All terrestrial mammals produce saliva so that includes gophers too.

Old 12-11-2021, 04:52 PM

10,889 posts, read 7,382,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I think that must be an urban legend. Moles and other rodents all have salivary glands and produce plenty of saliva. European moles and all types of shrews have saliva that is venomous, they use their saliva to paralyze their prey when they bite it. North American moles produce lots of saliva and it isn't venomous but it is mildly toxic enough to cause a skin reaction. All terrestrial mammals produce saliva so that includes gophers too.

I should have known that guy was a liar!

Old 12-11-2021, 05:18 PM

10,019 posts, read 8,629,758 times
My neighbor had trouble with voles, they were completely destroying his yard. He took an old washing machine hose, connected it to his lawn mower exhaust and fed it down one of the holes and let his mower run for about 20 minutes. He didn't have to pick up any carcasses, they all went to sleep permanently underground.

Old 12-12-2021, 05:27 AM

6,941 posts, read 6,869,734 times
Agricultural Radionics addresses pests and diseases. As an example....this website

Old 12-12-2021, 08:26 AM

11,111 posts, read 9,753,246 times
Supposedly they (moles and voles) hate the strong smells of cinnamon oil and peppermint. I stuck cotton balls saturated in cinnamon or peppermint essential oil into the holes and they went to the neighbors' yard for a few months.

Old 12-12-2021, 08:48 AM

1,607 posts, read 1,944,063 times
I've used coffee grounds with great success.

Old 12-12-2021, 09:17 AM

32,638 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Moles, I don't know, but the only thing that works on gophers is to trap them and kill them. I tried everything else and nothing worked except the trapping.

Although, that Jack Russel might work if you don't mind having your yard torn up. You'll need two of the terriers. I had 40 acres and the only farm for miles around that didn't have any sage rats. I had 7 dogs working all day every day digging up any sage rat they found. They would locate the sage rat and then dig for it from both directions so there was nowhere to run that didn't have a dog waiting for it.

I walk around with a shovel and cover the holes back up. The dogs make a real mess when they are digging out a burrow. But my fields were smooth and every field around mine was covered with little mounds of dirt, compliments of sage rat burrows.

Old 12-12-2021, 09:20 AM

198 posts, read 108,937 times
We bought a home that had holes ALL OVER the backyard due to moles. We also had one barn cat. Just one. But she sat above those holes having great fun for about 2-3 months. We eventually started gardening and never had one mole issue. That cat was SOOO good.

Some places will let you temporarily adopt cats, or foster. Maybe try some barn cats. They will keep critters out of your garden, in general
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden