Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 11:40 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,214,050 times

Advertisements

Very nice photos and nice looking palms! Thanks for sharing!

I planted a Needle palm last summer and its doing fine. I know they are slow growers, so I cant wait until its bigger.

My Windmill suffered damage this winter to the foliage, but I have been told by a couple of "experts", that it will be fine come spring and that our 5° low (unseasonably cold) would not ruin it, as these have withstood much colder temperatures further north. I hope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2009, 03:20 PM

414 posts, read 906,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
Very nice photos and nice looking palms! Thanks for sharing!

I planted a Needle palm last summer and its doing fine. I know they are slow growers, so I cant wait until its bigger.

My Windmill suffered damage this winter to the foliage, but I have been told by a couple of "experts", that it will be fine come spring and that our 5° low (unseasonably cold) would not ruin it, as these have withstood much colder temperatures further north. I hope.
Thanks for the compliments. Some of the photos I did not take, but were posted on other gardening/ palm forums I post on as well. The palms downtown near the museums that are in the pics, I took those pics myself.

I would say from the sound of it, your windmill should be fine. Do you have pics of it you can post? Its not really the COLD that usually kills them, it is the combo of cold and wet that usually does them in. Brief cold alone usually will not bother them much. Mine has seen 6F a couple times this winter, and has very little leaf damage at all. It has also had snow on it, and 1/2 " of ICE from freezing rain, and it is still fine.

Windmills, especially once established are VERY hardy and can "come back" from fairly massive damage. It is fairly common for them to come back even after complete defoliation ( loss of all fronds, except the growing spear) with no problem.

The main threat to them is water in the crown, down in and around where the growing "spear" emerges from. Its mostly due to rot/ fungus growing in there if it stays wet. The BEST defence against this is to just simply cover the palms crown during periods of extended wet. some even cover the crown to keep it dry all winter. If you get rot/ fungus in down in the crown, often the "spear" will pull out with a gentle tug. This is every windmill growers ( and all palm growers) worst fear. However, if this does happen to a windmill, all is not lost. Windmills espeically adult windmills are extremely resiliant and often DO RECOVER from spear pull. It may take a good while, but they often will put up a new growth spear sometime the next summer. One big trick if you get spear pull, is to keep it dry as you can, and to put either hydrogen peroxide down in it ( pour it in) or use a fungicide. Many use copper powder down in it. this stops the fungus / rot. Some people do not even wait for spear pull to happen , and just use this as a preventitive measure.

The other big killer of course, would be if the roots froze. If that occurs, the chances the palm will survive are pretty much nil. That said you should not have problems with one in the ground, or one that is in a VERY LARGE pot which is just too big to freeze with just over night temps below freezing.

Old 03-01-2009, 12:22 AM

Thanks. I did like those photos... neat to see palms from even further north.

I dont have any recent pics of my Windmill with the damage, but I will try to get some. I have a new computer and dont have my camera program in my computer yet. I will take some with my mothers camera perhaps and email them to me from her computer, save and post.

Yes, its an adult tree... it was about 2 ft tall when I planted it... not its almost 4 ft tall. Last year, it took winter with stride... its just this winter that it got the heavy frond damage. Unfortunately, I did not cover the crown. That seems tricky... how is the best/easiest way to do that?

Here is my palm from last year... (or maybe even 2006/2007?) Maybe 2006, because its much larger now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by United_Caps_Skins_Fan View Post
Thanks for the compliments. Some of the photos I did not take, but were posted on other gardening/ palm forums I post on as well. The palms downtown near the museums that are in the pics, I took those pics myself.

I would say from the sound of it, your windmill should be fine. Do you have pics of it you can post? Its not really the COLD that usually kills them, it is the combo of cold and wet that usually does them in. Brief cold alone usually will not bother them much. Mine has seen 6F a couple times this winter, and has very little leaf damage at all. It has also had snow on it, and 1/2 " of ICE from freezing rain, and it is still fine.

Windmills, especially once established are VERY hardy and can "come back" from fairly massive damage. It is fairly common for them to come back even after complete defoliation ( loss of all fronds, except the growing spear) with no problem.

The main threat to them is water in the crown, down in and around where the growing "spear" emerges from. Its mostly due to rot/ fungus growing in there if it stays wet. The BEST defence against this is to just simply cover the palms crown during periods of extended wet. some even cover the crown to keep it dry all winter. If you get rot/ fungus in down in the crown, often the "spear" will pull out with a gentle tug. This is every windmill growers ( and all palm growers) worst fear. However, if this does happen to a windmill, all is not lost. Windmills espeically adult windmills are extremely resiliant and often DO RECOVER from spear pull. It may take a good while, but they often will put up a new growth spear sometime the next summer. One big trick if you get spear pull, is to keep it dry as you can, and to put either hydrogen peroxide down in it ( pour it in) or use a fungicide. Many use copper powder down in it. this stops the fungus / rot. Some people do not even wait for spear pull to happen , and just use this as a preventitive measure.

The other big killer of course, would be if the roots froze. If that occurs, the chances the palm will survive are pretty much nil. That said you should not have problems with one in the ground, or one that is in a VERY LARGE pot which is just too big to freeze with just over night temps below freezing.

Old 03-04-2009, 06:32 PM

2,413 posts, read 5,746,949 times
I agree that palms should be left were they do best. By bring palms up north, you are ruining the natural beauty of the existing landscape and of that palm. If you want palm trees you should move/stay down south. Dont ruin the integrity of these beautiful trees.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:57 PM

414 posts, read 906,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
I agree that palms should be left were they do best. By bring palms up north, you are ruining the natural beauty of the existing landscape and of that palm. If you want palm trees you should move/stay down south. Dont ruin the integrity of these beautiful trees.

You sure dont know much about Palms do you? You do realise that there are plenty of palms that are non tropical, and some whose native habitats are colder than the majority of US Cities dont you?

I suggest you do some research before you make general blanket statements.

Read through this whole thread, and look at all the photos. Im pretty sure you did NOT read through the whole thread before making your unfounded and ill informed comments.

Old 03-04-2009, 09:07 PM

2,035 posts, read 5,034,055 times
United,

Couldn't have said it any better myself...rep

Old 03-04-2009, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
How funny. There are also non-native trees way down south, but no one is saying not to plant them. Also, some people cant move way down south, but like a little look of the tropics. If the trees will survive in their area (as it has mine - I am in the south, but not the "sub-tropical" south). The Windmill palm is not a US native tree anyway, but there is no issues with it being planted anywhere it would grow imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by United_Caps_Skins_Fan View Post
You sure dont know much about Palms do you? You do realise that there are plenty of palms that are non tropical, and some whose native habitats are colder than the majority of US Cities dont you?

I suggest you do some research before you make general blanket statements.

Read through this whole thread, and look at all the photos. Im pretty sure you did NOT read through the whole thread before making your unfounded and ill informed comments.
Well said! And I will also add to that comment from that negative post, look at those photos that UCFS mentioned, look at how nice the palms up north are doing. My other palms are perfectly fine and I think the Windmill will come back nicely this spring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by si33 View Post
United,

Couldn't have said it any better myself...rep
Agreed again!

Old 03-05-2009, 12:48 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,767,629 times
Quote:
How funny. There are also non-native trees way down south, but no one is saying not to plant them. Also, some people cant move way down south, but like a little look of the tropics. If the trees will survive in their area (as it has mine - I am in the south, but not the "sub-tropical" south). The Windmill palm is not a US native tree anyway, but there is no issues with it being planted anywhere it would grow imo.
Exactly. Its not as if the vast majority of palms seen in Florida and California are native to those states.

Old 05-01-2009, 11:38 PM

3 posts, read 16,593 times
FYI: I was in the WDC area late Nov./Dec. 2008 and this is a pic of palms in Bethany Beach DE.

Old 05-02-2009, 12:44 AM

2,035 posts, read 5,034,055 times
Nice pict..looks like it might be a Majesty palm ( Ravenea rivularis ) wish i could see the trunk better but,..if so, it would be remarkable that it has survived that far north..anyone near where this picture was taken know have an idea it looks right now??..or how long it has been in the ground there??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden