U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 09:56 AM

3,020 posts, read 23,083,537 times

Advertisements

We have heard Manatee taste like chicken.

Forget palm trees, you are going to tree Heaven.

SE Ohio has like 47 different tree species, many of them very valuable hard woods. Talking things like walnut, elms, oaks. The best prices now are probably for a type of cherry, walnut is maybe second. Lots of different type maple and oaks growing about like weeds. Roads are full of logging trucks with prime oak, usually going for export.

The zone extends into PA and WV. Probably not the total variety as in Ohio. We have Buckeye and furniture grade sassafras. A fellow probably can make a nice living in some type of wood business. Well wooded land is pretty cheap.

I got a bunch of very nice resawn hickory that I got free, been using it for trim, some 16 foot or so, up to 8 inches wide, not a knot in sight. Try to find that at your local store. Used oak to build my shed, say what, common like dirt. Lot of Amish sawmills around.

Bring the Mantees, leave the snakes and fancy trees. Up north is also good fruit tree country, apple, peach, cherry, etc. Problem has been the damn deer will chow down real good. Might eat palms, sure will do the job on pears.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2007, 11:14 AM

5,019 posts, read 12,473,110 times
Quote:
I have a great attatchment to my plants. I tend to have a green thumb.
Awwww. Thanks for explaining that part. I do not have a green thumb; most of my gardening is restricted to growing herbs in pots* (as I love to cook).

Quote:
I did foster out a large number of plants and trees to family.

Foster-plants! Love it!

Say hi to "Big Ernie"

(* I ~did~ have a little pot of rosemary once called "Rosemary". Not too creative, huh? I passed her on to a friend when I moved cross-country).

Old 01-04-2007, 11:26 AM

Location: Boonies of Georgia ~~~~ nuttier than a squirrel turd !
1,950 posts, read 4,661,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
Awwww. Thanks for explaining that part. I do not have a green thumb; most of my gardening is restricted to growing herbs in pots* (as I love to cook).

Foster-plants! Love it!

Say hi to "Big Ernie"

(* I ~did~ have a little pot of rosemary once called "Rosemary". Not too creative, huh? I passed her on to a friend when I moved cross-country).
I am a SAP !!
After I lost 2 of my dogs, I got my rainbow eucalyptus (beautifuly amazing trees) I named them in honor of my dogs . I need help !

I hope to one day open my own nursery.

Old 01-04-2007, 11:31 AM

Please take a look at this link. It will show you how amazing the Rainbows are.
http://eucalyptusdeglupta.com/intropg.htm

Old 01-04-2007, 12:24 PM

5,019 posts, read 12,473,110 times
qbaby-wow! I can see why you love those. Just when I think I've seen everything Mother Nature amazes me yet again

Old 01-04-2007, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
qbaby-wow! I can see why you love those. Just when I think I've seen everything Mother Nature amazes me yet again
I first saw those at the zoo in Miami. I had to touch it to be sure it was real. Truly an amazing sight to see ! I had to have them. I ended up researching them and found some in Homestead Florida. Mine are still young, but are begining to shed thier barks.
Glad you enjoyed the pics.

Old 01-05-2007, 04:03 AM

17,835 posts, read 29,416,788 times
theqbaby
thanks for the link and information
I am going to have to look into adding one of these to our garden
karla

Old 01-05-2007, 11:05 AM

24 posts, read 131,389 times
Oil City doesnt have any trees.

Didn't you know that

Just open pits where they used to strip mine for coal and abandoned oil fields.

The town is sinking into the bank of a nearby river and the rest slowly into the ground.

They get flash floods every two years or so.

I dont think you could plant palm trees there unless you wanted it to get dragged away with the rain.

Maybe you could do something about it Need like a palm tree beautification plan for the town of Oil City. With your inspring enthusiasm for the place I am sure you would be quite popular and quite electable as "city" mayor. But I do have to warn you it gets cold in the winter and the houses only operate on wood burning stoves.

Enjoy!

Old 01-05-2007, 11:07 AM

24 posts, read 131,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post
We have heard Manatee taste like chicken.

Bring the Mantees, leave the snakes and fancy trees. Up north is also good fruit tree country, apple, peach, cherry, etc. Problem has been the damn deer will chow down real good. Might eat palms, sure will do the job on pears.
Pretty funny there cosmic. If the State of Pennsylvania would let us shoot more deer (big problem in southeastern PA where I'm originally from) there wouldnt be such a big problem. Accidents all the time in Valley Forge Park near Philadelphia. There is an overpopulation. Its a pity too-- I do love the taste of venison.

I heard that Need tastes like gerbil. At least thats what it sounds like when I hear all his crazy posts and plaints. I do apologize Need but I think you need more of a sense of stability in your life. You sound very neurotic-- I think you should just pick up and move some place and breathe a sigh of relief and be happy. You have found your area-- western PA, Ohio River Valley, West Virginia. Just move there and enjoy. Please relax.

Old 01-05-2007, 11:43 AM

3,020 posts, read 23,083,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenguy21 View Post
Pretty funny there cosmic. If the State of Pennsylvania would let us shoot more deer (big problem in southeastern PA where I'm originally from) there wouldnt be such a big problem. Accidents all the time in Valley Forge Park near Philadelphia. There is an overpopulation. Its a pity too-- I do love the taste of venison.

I heard that Need tastes like gerbil. At least thats what it sounds like when I hear all his crazy posts and plaints. I do apologize Need but I think you need more of a sense of stability in your life. You sound very neurotic-- I think you should just pick up and move some place and breathe a sigh of relief and be happy. You have found your area-- western PA, Ohio River Valley, West Virginia. Just move there and enjoy. Please relax.
Yup, NAH is going to find a whole new World, I am a bit intriqued by some of the choices you find by searching for super cheap areas. Going to try to stop in and see Bluefield, WV on the day home from Florida. Also would like to get over into Oil City later in the year just to see it up close and personal.

The deer are a problem. On this trip in the very early morning like at about 4 am ran into a huge herd of them just east of Caldwell, OH. Funny thing a lot of them seemed to have learned not to look into the cars headlights. It was open country and they just walked along side the road both sides. Might have been 50 or so in that herd, doesn't Santa know about this deer power reserve? One youngen got directly in front of me and gave the red ****. Rolled up on him and gave him the horn. Really tough in wooded country where you can't see them. I first saw this bunch by their eyeballs flashing a long ways off.

Everybody and his brother is killing deer during a long deer season in Ohio but it doesn't seem to make much difference. I have even seen badgers and wild pigs in Ohio. If it walks, flies or swims it is probably road kill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or