U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2007, 04:57 AM

15 posts, read 72,201 times

Advertisements

I have to correct you slightly. In London certain Palm trees are grown outside and survive freezing conditions. Two neighbours have banana plants in their gardens and they produce fruit each year.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2007, 02:47 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,611,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metaljaybird View Post
There are a couple potted palm trees outside a restaurant in Morristown, NJ. They look miserable. I wouldn't move palm trees north of the Carolinas.
I believe one can grow trachycarpus fortunei's (windmill palms) outside in the Norfolk area of Virginia safely.

Old 11-18-2007, 02:59 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,611,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
I live in central Connecticut (zone 6) I grew two windmill palms in my garden over the winter- I did cover them -but added no heat. Both plants survived.
Also have a Giant sequoia - and various Yucca.

Anyone else have sub tropical to temperate stuff in their gardens this far north?
When still living in Silver Spring, Md (outside of Wash DC) 40 years ago, we had a yucca plant in our front yard------cold/snow did not bother it.

Old 11-18-2007, 05:43 PM

4,459 posts, read 6,089,655 times
AzBear

People are surprised palms can be grown outside this far north. Also Yucca and Sequoia.

The winter weather here is 3-5 degrees warmer then 30 years ago- that makes a big difference for many plants.

Old 11-26-2007, 11:53 PM

79 posts, read 348,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla with a K View Post
just a bit of trivia
did you know the color of the Spanish moss tells you what the air quality is in the area, the greener it is the cleaner the air
Whoa I just read this, where on earth did you hear that? It is not true, the gray color of Spanish moss comes from the scales on their leaves; they are needed for the plant to absorb water and nutrients from the air. They appear greener when wet but that's about it. Now they ARE rather sensitive to chemicals in the air and excessive pollution can kill them more easily than most plants, but it won't make the plants appear "dirtier"

Old 11-27-2007, 10:57 AM

9,324 posts, read 23,226,903 times
If I wanted tropical plants I would build a modern home with a set of skylights and an indoor garden. You get the best of both worlds-temperate and tropical. I have seen this in an office building somewhere in Dayton Ohio. An indoor atrium in a 50's office park had banana trees, palms and philodendron growing down the center. I am sure this exists in many places to this day.

Old 11-30-2007, 01:49 AM

26 posts, read 107,370 times
I live in Northeast Tennessee right on the VA state line and thirty years ago you couldn't grow Pampas Grass here due to the cold winters. Now folks have huge clumps of it in their yards. I've been growing the hardy banana Musa basjoo for almost twenty years here and it will develop pseudotrunks over 10' tall with 8' leaves quite readily. One person here in my city brought a 20' sabal palmetto and planted in their yard with several windmill palms about four years ago. They somehow manage to get a blanket over the crown of the palmetto during the coldest weather and all of them have managed to flourish over the years. I would've bet money that the palmetto wouldn't have survived the first year but it did here in USDA Zone 6 in the mountains. Their windmill palms are now almost six feet tall and quite beautiful. I need to takes some pics of them...

Old 11-30-2007, 08:04 PM

17,835 posts, read 29,403,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstrstx View Post
Whoa I just read this, where on earth did you hear that? It is not true, the gray color of Spanish moss comes from the scales on their leaves; they are needed for the plant to absorb water and nutrients from the air. They appear greener when wet but that's about it. Now they ARE rather sensitive to chemicals in the air and excessive pollution can kill them more easily than most plants, but it won't make the plants appear "dirtier"
From our extension office and the U of Fla IAFS

I will be there next week and will bring your points up.

Old 12-06-2007, 12:10 PM

1,770 posts, read 7,328,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post

Talk about cold tolerance!
Those just don't look right in that type of climate...

Old 12-06-2007, 01:33 PM

4,459 posts, read 6,089,655 times
PBCboy

really great pictures!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or