U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2022, 03:37 PM

13,612 posts, read 18,838,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Let me know how the pellets worked. I didn't have success with the pellets because like you said, there's always gonna be a gap between them.

This photo was the result using a small hand shovel to scatter the pellets. I used that just to see if the stuff even worked well. Yes it clearly kills moss. Attached is a 9 1/2 inch pan with strainer. I tried the $ store and the kitchen strainer had holes too small. I don't know what this pan is for but I picked it up for 50 cents at a yard sale and the pellets do go through the holes to make scattering the pellets more even. I do have a pump sprayer and may use liquid next time. The next job is to remove the existing moss from that area and plant some grass in that area and then evaluate moving to other areas.
Attached Thumbnails
How to kill moss in your experiences-imgp1501.jpg   How to kill moss in your experiences-imgp150299999.jpg  
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2022, 02:46 AM

4,742 posts, read 2,859,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Leave it..

It is natural, uses far less water, and is nice looking.. I don't get what people have against moss. Heck, in Japan they spend hundreds of years trying to perfect beautiful moss gardens/carpets. If.grass has trouble growing let moss do its job.

https://www.homesandgardens.com/news/moss-garden

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwOtBVUV2yE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Up5jKSreGrA

Old 04-22-2022, 05:33 PM

I tried to remove the dead moss with a flat hand shovel. The moss is think and though it's dead to remove it in the treated areas is going to leave an area with dirt about 1/2 inch or more below the level of the grass. I did not expect dirt might be needed to fill in the shallow area. I may delay further attention to the moss area and hope someone here has ideas on what to do next. Thanks.

Old 04-22-2022, 10:42 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,207,362 times
I love moss.

Old 04-23-2022, 10:58 PM

8,337 posts, read 4,316,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
I tried to remove the dead moss with a flat hand shovel. The moss is think and though it's dead to remove it in the treated areas is going to leave an area with dirt about 1/2 inch or more below the level of the grass. I did not expect dirt might be needed to fill in the shallow area. I may delay further attention to the moss area and hope someone here has ideas on what to do next. Thanks.
Get some "clean" fill for your "holes." Then seed it with your species of grass.

Old 04-24-2022, 06:39 AM

80,437 posts, read 68,508,048 times
Quote:
The pellets are very small and spreading it was not optimal..
Quote:
I tried to remove the dead moss with a flat hand shovel. The moss is thick and though it's dead to remove it in the treated areas is going to leave an area with dirt about 1/2 inch or more below the level of the grass.
I'm wondering if the pellets didn't do their job enough? I was able to use a metal rake and rake out the dead moss without digging into the dirt. Obviously you'll disturb the dirt a little but as NORTY FLATZ said, just reseed with grass and use screened top soil to fill in areas that need it.

You might need multiple shots at killing the moss first before raking? Was there any green moss under the browning dead moss?

Old 04-24-2022, 10:02 AM

4,508 posts, read 4,667,781 times

Yup.....visited many gardens while we were in Japan. Moss gardens/carpets are stunningly beautiful.

Old 04-24-2022, 11:09 AM

I tried a metal rake with 7-8 strokes over a small area and got little material to put in a bucket. Since I have the pan shown above I'll be able to distribute the pellets more evenly and will try again. It's beautiful but when it is caused by poor drainage and standing water it has to go. I will look up on Google and see how to stop it from spreading. As far as adding dirt, luckily I have about 5 five gallons buckets of decent dirt.

Thanks.

Last edited by howard555; 04-24-2022 at 11:17 AM..

Old 04-24-2022, 06:08 PM

5,344 posts, read 2,603,784 times
Plant something that would soak up the water. It's cheaper than a drain and more effective as well.

https://www.thespruce.com/plants-tha...-areas-4767394

https://arbordayblog.org/treeplantin...vive-flooding/

https://www.yourgardensanctuary.com/...for-wet-areas/

Maples and pin oaks are great trees for wet areas.

Willows and birches are great - if its not planted by basements or water/sewer lines. I think they need to be 90 feet away.

Old 04-30-2022, 09:39 AM

The grass had grown slightly above the level of the dead and quite alive moss. I lowered the blade on the lawnmower and cut the area, gave it a shower and applied more pellets and then another shower. The strainer pan worked well to distribute the moss out. Tomorrow it may all be brown and dead and once it dries out I'll remove the dead moss and add some dirt to the area. As well as some seed the farmer's market said would grow now with some watering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden