Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2022, 04:35 PM

13,060 posts, read 7,493,946 times

Advertisements

OP: In the PNW, the potting soil is made from evergreen tree bark (fir, pine, cedar, hardwood) of varying amounts of composting. We have a lot of trees. Its really too light but OK for starts.

@Hemlock. A few weeks ago, We bought some garden soil for DS's garden at Redmond's HD.
It was so wierd. When we were farming, we bought mushroom compost or barkdust (minus onehalf))by the "unit" truckload. If I needed some for the home garden, I run down to the distributor for 2 yards (pickup).
If I needed some dirt, I'd get a bucket load on the farm and throw it into the pickup.

Mushroom compost is too hot and dense for potting soil. You will need to add some fine sand or silt and some fine bark dust or similar. About equal volumes will be OK. May have bugs, worms, and snail eggs. Organic.

Last edited by leastprime; 05-17-2022 at 04:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2022, 09:25 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
For my 60+ Bonsai, I use no soil, just 100% Turface All Sport calcined clay granules. It's similar to what's used on professional baseball diamonds. I last got it for $12/50 lb. bag at John Deere Landscape, about 7 years ago. They are now SiteOne Landscape Supply and that bag is $19.95. They also have a large variety of potting soils, but no prices on their website, you have to call.

Old 05-18-2022, 10:16 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
Have you tried a landscape supply store? If you are looking to get a lot, it is usually cheaper to have them deliver it in cubic yards than to get tons of bags. There are 27 cubic feet in a cubic yard. Locally the garden mix is only about $77 plus the delivery fee, so you still come out ahead.

Old 05-18-2022, 11:17 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
For raised beds, you can buy a few yards of sand from the sand and gravel yard, as long as it isn't beach sand (with salt). Mix that about 1/2 and 1/2 with compost or well rotted manure, and you can raise just about anything in it.

Ask around. You can get manure from horse stables and llama farms and you can usually get it for free if you will come and haul it away.

Sometimes the local dump will be selling compost by the yard.

There will be someone near you that sells landscaping supplies by the yard: rocks, bark, gravel, sand, topsoil, compost...

The agricultural chemical store in your area probably sells the 40 gallon bags of perlite, but I only use that for potted plants, to make the pots lighter to move around. I don't think plants actually get any benefit from it except that it holds water. More to the benefit of the human so you don't have to water as often. (you know, the place where farmers go to buy their stuff in 50 gallon drums and 50 pound bags. Sometimes irrigation equipment stores also sell that sort of stuff.)

Watch for the potting soil in the spring at Costco. The price is really good but they will only carry it for a few weeks. It's not an item that is always there.

Old 05-18-2022, 01:09 PM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
For my 60+ Bonsai, I use no soil, just 100% Turface All Sport calcined clay granules. It's similar to what's used on professional baseball diamonds. I last got it for $12/50 lb. bag at John Deere Landscape, about 7 years ago. They are now SiteOne Landscape Supply and that bag is $19.95. They also have a large variety of potting soils, but no prices on their website, you have to call.
interesting. you should post pics of some of your bonsais, i'd like to see them. it seems like clay granules would provide no nutritional value to the trees - do you have to supplement with something in the water?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Have you tried a landscape supply store? If you are looking to get a lot, it is usually cheaper to have them deliver it in cubic yards than to get tons of bags. There are 27 cubic feet in a cubic yard. Locally the garden mix is only about $77 plus the delivery fee, so you still come out ahead.
this is probably my best bet. a local place has garden soil mix for $55/cubic yard if you buy 3 yards, plus a $45 delivery fee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
For raised beds, you can buy a few yards of sand from the sand and gravel yard, as long as it isn't beach sand (with salt). Mix that about 1/2 and 1/2 with compost or well rotted manure, and you can raise just about anything in it.

Ask around. You can get manure from horse stables and llama farms and you can usually get it for free if you will come and haul it away.

Sometimes the local dump will be selling compost by the yard.

There will be someone near you that sells landscaping supplies by the yard: rocks, bark, gravel, sand, topsoil, compost...

The agricultural chemical store in your area probably sells the 40 gallon bags of perlite, but I only use that for potted plants, to make the pots lighter to move around. I don't think plants actually get any benefit from it except that it holds water. More to the benefit of the human so you don't have to water as often. (you know, the place where farmers go to buy their stuff in 50 gallon drums and 50 pound bags. Sometimes irrigation equipment stores also sell that sort of stuff.)

Watch for the potting soil in the spring at Costco. The price is really good but they will only carry it for a few weeks. It's not an item that is always there.
i spotted an ad in the local free classified paper for free horse manure, but it was pretty fresh stuff, not really composted very much, so i haven't decided whether to go for that or not yet.

Old 05-18-2022, 01:21 PM

5,294 posts, read 5,233,524 times
Be really careful with horse manure. A lot of hay and fields are sprayed with Grazon, and that passes thru the horse and stays in the manure for a couple of years. Grazon will kill your vegie plants. I cant even count the number of gardens that have been totally ruined from this. I use horse manure from my own horses, but they are only fed alfalfa, and alfalfa is never sprayed with Grazon, as it will kill it.

Old 05-18-2022, 02:19 PM

4,935 posts, read 3,044,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
like many things it seems the price of potting soil is skyrocketing. over the weekend i spotted a 40 lb. bag at a local nursery for 35 dollars! granted, it was top of the line stuff, but geez...

what's a good alternative for a fairly large volume raised bed garden? topsoil? used mushroom compost?

one of the things i planned to try is this, but that will only help somewhat.

https://www.offthegridnews.com/survi...ncestors-used/

This might help, a bale of compressed Promix peat based medium runs around $15 at many home supply centers. I then add 1 cup of Epsoma plant(or best suited)tone granule fertilizer per 5 gal bucket of Promix; Home Dept or Amazon for the Epsoma.
This gives me roughly 80 lbs. of really good soil for around $25, been growing really nice tomatoes with this combo; as the peat based blends are amended for ph in the factory.

Old 05-18-2022, 03:56 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,027,362 times
I've been adding various material to the bottom of my planting areas, both in-ground and in large pots. In the bottom I'll put cut up sticks from cut-off branches along with some straw, pulled weeds, leaves and grass from mowing. Makes my purchased bags of potting mix go twice as far.

The term for making these raised beds with layers that decompose into great soil is "hugelkultur" and it's been done for thousands of years. Great way to recycle material and I like knowing it came from my yard with no weedkiller in/on it.

Here's visual for it: https://atraditionallife.com/buildin...r-garden-beds/

Old 05-18-2022, 07:24 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
I'm doing only container gardening this year. I used all my old soil from containers I grew in last year, combined it in equal proportions to a new bag of potting soil, my own compost and added a few handfuls of perlite per container. So far everything is growing wonderfully and I didn't have to buy more than one bag of soil.
Think it is too late to start tomatoes?
We are in Sarasota area gulf coast of FL and the tomatoes here at farmer’s market or grocery are the pits

Old 05-19-2022, 06:00 AM

4,847 posts, read 2,665,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Think it is too late to start tomatoes?
We are in Sarasota area gulf coast of FL and the tomatoes here at farmer’s market or grocery are the pits

yes, it is too late for down here..(I'm about an hour south of you)..start tomato seeds in Sept...small potted tomato plants can be started up until about Feb. or March..and remember....EVERYTHING down here in south
Florida appreciates a little shade in the afternoon..our sun is brutal in the afternoon..

I had some delicious tomatoes this year grown in earthboxes and fabric pots..(water both every day)..I only use Mother Earth Terracraft potting mix...$25 for a 2 cubic foot bag...but well worth it...find it at a hydroponics store or Amazon..there are several stores in Sarasota that should have it..well worth the money because it has all the nutrients and minerals and it is fast draining..hence the need for watering every day..

you can also order it from Ace hardware and pick it up at their store when it comes in..

ps...you will still need to fertilize the plants after a few weeks or so..use organic..

Last edited by double6's; 05-19-2022 at 07:21 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden