Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2022, 12:32 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times

Advertisements

It has been so cold this year that my fruit trees are barely waking up. The last one just opened flowers yesterday, and June is only 5 days away.

I have a shortage of pollinating insects. It is too cold for them to be out and about, although the few sunny days have brought out some little tiny bees, about 1/4 the size of honey bees, but working hard. They are doing their job, but I wonder if there are enough warm days left in the year for fruit to grow and ripen.

All over the states, I am hearing about trees waking late and there seems to be more disease than usual.

Some of those folks in the South East seem to have ripe fruit already, but the rest of us are going to have a thin year.

How's in going in your neighborhood? How are your fruit trees and berries doing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2022, 01:20 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
We actually had some sunny days and I have seen bees around. Our apple trees have set fruit, and even my apple graft on a pear tree has little apples on it. The only berry plants I have are Huckleberries, and those have never had any blossoms or fruit since I planted them in 2007. Across the street the neighbor has apples, cherries and plums. All of those were loaded with blossoms. We really only had about one week below freezing, mostly in the 20s, and one day at 13F. The last few nights have been 50-60F so I planted my peppers and cucumbers.

Old 05-27-2022, 07:38 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Blueberries are doing all right; boysenberries were just put in this year so no problems there. It's going to be a bad year for wild berries/wild plums around here, though, so I expect bear activity near human habitat to be higher than usual (as in more garbage bears). I think my berries at my place in Alaska are doing fine, but I haven't been there this spring.

Old 05-27-2022, 09:03 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Fruits and vegetables are doing great here (Orange County, CA). I pruned my apple tree very carefully last fall and it is absolutely loaded with flowers and small apples up to about in inch in diameter. The lemon and tangerine trees are done for the year and won't have fruit again until next spring.

I have green beans and cucumbers that are flowering like crazy, and I'm already giving zucchini away! This is our prime time for vegetables. By the time we get to August, the best is over because it really gets too hot by then.

Old 05-27-2022, 10:25 PM

3,604 posts, read 1,655,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Fruits and vegetables are doing great here (Orange County, CA). I pruned my apple tree very carefully last fall and it is absolutely loaded with flowers and small apples up to about in inch in diameter. The lemon and tangerine trees are done for the year and won't have fruit again until next spring.

I have green beans and cucumbers that are flowering like crazy, and I'm already giving zucchini away! This is our prime time for vegetables. By the time we get to August, the best is over because it really gets too hot by then.
Likewise...have a 10x20' garden plot at local community center...tomatoes (mainly Better Boy, Champion, & a few Early Girl's) are fruiting nicely now.

Old 05-27-2022, 10:40 PM

6,138 posts, read 4,500,962 times
I always have bees and have seen them here, working hard. I have a lot of flowers and before the true flowers, I have a lot of flowering weeds. However, my fig tree has not got one single fruit start. Aside from being cooler than usual, that freeze and thaw and re-freeze and thaw and re-freeze again in the late winter did no good at all. All other fruit and veg is going to be late if at all.

Old 05-29-2022, 05:52 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,535,602 times
My apple, pear and cherry trees are blossoming now or just ended. The peach died over the winter, and its replacement is too young to blossom this year. It's too early for brambles. My high bush blueberries are finished, and the wild blueberries are in full bloom. I have honeybees so pollination isn't a problem.

I've noticed a lot of fruit trees with few blossoms this year. I'm not positive about what happened, but I'm guessing the unusually harsh wind over the winter desiccated them. Of all years, this is unfortunate. I don't think I'll have enough pears to put up a year's worth. There will still be plenty of apples but probably as much variety. We'll see what it looks like when the fruits set.

Old 05-30-2022, 03:40 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,438,947 times
We have ripe plums and blackberries in NE GA.

Most of our blueberries were ruined by a late frost during bloom season in late March/early April. That happens nearly every year. Our bushes are rather old and should be replaced with later blooming varieties, but we often have long dry spells that are hard on new ones.

Our peaches are coming along, but are full of worms and brown rot. I didn’t treat them with dormant season sprays this year and it shows. The pears are small but promising. Apples don’t thrive here for many reasons. I’ve given up on them.

Old 05-30-2022, 06:03 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
We have an immature cherry and pear tree that just blossomed. We planted haskap and raspberry plants last year- the haskaps are blooming and the raspberries are taking off. Some pollinators have been around, but our weather is typical Montana spring. 80 degrees 2 days ago, 40’s today.

Old 05-31-2022, 06:09 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Blueberries are doing well, but my orange and lime trees are struggling. My fig is just not happy at all. I should try moving it. It doesn’t die, but it never grows either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden