Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2022, 11:05 AM

6,147 posts, read 4,508,901 times

Advertisements

Oh, poor rodentraiser, you love the same weeds I do. I think a mature wisteria, which is a monster when out of control, or in the wrong area, is about the most beautiful thing on earth. And not the yellow, but the cultivars of scotch broom, the pinks and browns, make me drool. We have false indigo (baptisia) here and crape myrtles and I'm growing both of them. I hear once you have crape myrtle, it's for life, so I guess I have it. It was here when I arrived, cut to the literal ground and unidentifiable, but not dead. I'm working on making it do my bidding shapewise. I'm only sorry I didn't get to pick the color. I have tiger lilies and honeysuckle, too, but not near the house.
But keep that wisteria in the barrel. You'll be surprised what it can do under those conditions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2022, 02:27 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,893,080 times
I'm growing (heavenly blue) morning glories, but not the wild white ones. I'm crazy, but not that crazy. lol

Old 07-16-2022, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I'm growing (heavenly blue) morning glories, but not the wild white ones. I'm crazy, but not that crazy. lol
We should garden together. I love the heavenly blues.

Old 07-20-2022, 11:14 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,542,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
Oh, poor rodentraiser, you love the same weeds I do. I think a mature wisteria, which is a monster when out of control, or in the wrong area, is about the most beautiful thing on earth. And not the yellow, but the cultivars of scotch broom, the pinks and browns, make me drool. We have false indigo (baptisia) here and crape myrtles and I'm growing both of them. I hear once you have crape myrtle, it's for life, so I guess I have it. It was here when I arrived, cut to the literal ground and unidentifiable, but not dead. I'm working on making it do my bidding shapewise. I'm only sorry I didn't get to pick the color. I have tiger lilies and honeysuckle, too, but not near the house.
But keep that wisteria in the barrel. You'll be surprised what it can do under those conditions.
and watch out that wayward seeds don't get established.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2xS3D2xEL4

Old 07-20-2022, 04:41 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,893,080 times
Quote:
We should garden together. I love the heavenly blues.
It's a little late in the year to plant them, but I thought I would just see what they do. I wish I could find somebody to garden with. In my area it's all lawns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
and watch out that wayward seeds don't get established.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2xS3D2xEL4
I'm not so sure it's the wisteria that's going to be the problem.

I just had someone cut all my large Scotch Broom weeds down around my property perimeter (some were as high as 6ft) and I need to go out and pull the little ones again sometime soon. The problem is, the guy who cut them hauled them out and sort of got in trouble for dumping them behind his house. He rents and the owner wasn't happy about having in-seed weeds on his property.

You have no idea how fast those things spread and grow. And by the time they're more than 12 inches high, I literally can't pull them out of the ground any more, they're so dug in. I guess that's one of the reasons I'm not as worried about the wisteria. I've seen the Scotch Broom and that was the ultimate weed for me.

Years ago when I moved into a house that had Scotch Broom lining the back property line, you could stand out there in August and actually hear the seeds popping. It's a lot like the wisteria in that video but ten times faster. Just pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop. lol My lot was just cleared last year and I've already taken out hundreds of little ones and still have a ton more to pull.

Old 07-21-2022, 11:01 AM

It's all going to depend on the type of wisteria. There are American varieties that aren't invasive at all. Scotch broom, the weed variety, is a chore and a plague.

Old 07-21-2022, 12:17 PM

37,607 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
It's all going to depend on the type of wisteria. There are American varieties that aren't invasive at all. Scotch broom, the weed variety, is a chore and a plague.
Even the American varieties will get out of control if not maintained. I would recommend keeping it in a planter.

Wisteria is a chore - and when you finally decide to get rid of it - have fun! This pic was one year after I dug mine up. Took me another year to finally get it all gone. And this was a very small wisteria.
Attached Thumbnails
Will my wisteria plant ever grow?-wisteria_roots.jpg  

Old 07-21-2022, 05:39 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,028,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Even the American varieties will get out of control if not maintained. I would recommend keeping it in a planter.

Wisteria is a chore - and when you finally decide to get rid of it - have fun! This pic was one year after I dug mine up. Took me another year to finally get it all gone. And this was a very small wisteria.
I think it was a really good idea for you to post that picture. Sometimes a picture is worth 1,000 words.

Ughhh, horrible, horrible invasive roots!

Old 07-21-2022, 05:45 PM

4,186 posts, read 3,399,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post

I thought at first that was a garden hose.

Old 07-21-2022, 07:13 PM

37,607 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
I thought at first that was a garden hose.
That day I pulled up 3 times that much. That is just the only pic I took. Believe me the yard was a wreck. And like I said, I kept digging up more for another whole year.

I keep inspecting the yard for signs of more, but fingers crossed I think I finally got it all. Never again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden