U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2022, 04:05 PM

5,972 posts, read 3,873,134 times

Advertisements

Those are some looooong roots in that picture!

Well, I know this will make everyone happy. The buck came by and chewed off what little growth was on the wisteria. And I was told wisteria was deer resistant.

You know, there's something really aggravating about a buck that will stare at you from 5 feet away and then reach out to yank a rose leaf off. I yelled and he ran off a few feet, then casually sauntered out of the yard. And was apparently unconcerned enough to come back and chew on the wisteria when I was gone.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2022, 11:27 PM

13,138 posts, read 11,661,721 times
LOL .... you need to get a long range water gun for that buck.

Old 08-03-2022, 05:28 AM

3,886 posts, read 2,886,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
That day I pulled up 3 times that much. That is just the only pic I took. Believe me the yard was a wreck. And like I said, I kept digging up more for another whole year.

I keep inspecting the yard for signs of more, but fingers crossed I think I finally got it all. Never again.
Wisteria covered two doors of our house when we bought it. I think we spent a year ripping it away. And now it's invaded our back yard along the fence line.

Old 08-03-2022, 10:35 AM

1,571 posts, read 1,974,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
Wisteria covered two doors of our house when we bought it. I think we spent a year ripping it away. And now it's invaded our back yard along the fence line.
I have studied and learned more about gardening for years, but now, sometimes, I wish I knew less.

When I was younger, there were a couple of cottages in my neighborhood covered in Wysteria, with Rose of Sharon bushes nodding all around them, and surrounded by hedges of Japanese honeysuckle. I thought they were so fragrant and so lovely. They are, honestly, they truly are. Except, now that I know about invasives it sucked all the enjoyment away.

Old 08-06-2022, 05:25 PM

I don't have to worry about that. The deer eat all the Rose of Sharon too.

So speaking of deer, here's something that happened last night. I had a doe come wandering up to my plants so I went outside to shoo her off. She sauntered away and to get her to saunter a little faster, I tossed a rock at her (a small one and I didn't aim to hit her).

The rock bounced off to one side (who am I fooling - I couldn't hit the side of a barn two feet away from me) and instead of startling the doe into trotting off, she turns around and starts looking where the stone landed. Naturally, I had to see this again, so I threw another stone and the doe went for it like a dog for a stick.

Come to find out my neighbors throw apples out for the deer.

So guess who bought a bag of apples.

We're getting a little worried about the buck, though. He's not afraid of people and rutting time is starting. And this guy has a full rack on him.

Old 08-06-2022, 08:27 PM

13,138 posts, read 11,661,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post

We're getting a little worried about the buck, though. He's not afraid of people and rutting time is starting. And this guy has a full rack on him.
LOL. Yep, you gotta watch out for those rutting bucks and their racks.

Time to get a big water gun to discourage him with from a distance. Put a wee bit of vinegar in the load of water so it smells and tastes unpleasant when he gets a face full of water shot at him.

Old 08-06-2022, 08:34 PM

5,524 posts, read 3,282,531 times
You want to watch the does, too. Throw the apples a way away because of deer ticks among other things. It wouldn't stop me getting them apples; I'd just have to work on my throw.

Old 08-12-2022, 04:41 PM

I can't keep the deer from coming right up to my trailer when I'm not there. When I am there, they walk up to within a couple feet. They aren't afraid of anything.

I did finally throw out some apples for the doe. She went round and round trying to find them. I thought I'd have to go out and pick them up and throw them again.

But the real birdbrains are the birds. I just bought a feeder and they ignored it. I put it on the ground and they sit on it or they cling to the side and peck at the seed inside. Or they peck at the ground all around the feeder.

I finally said the heck with it and hung it up again. Today a bird actually found the feeder and was eating seed off of it. And a hummingbird found their feeder too.

I know I'm pretty dense and to see animals dumber than me was getting me worried. But all is well now. At least I know the birds learn faster than I do.

Old 08-13-2022, 07:53 AM

11,579 posts, read 11,272,464 times
Not very experienced with wisterias, but I believe they sent you a dead plant. Have you tried scratching its bark to see if it's green? If it's green, then it's alive, for now (sometimes plants can take time to die). If it's yellow, then it's dying or in hibernation. If the bark is whitish and dry then the wisteria is dead and gone. Do this test first.

But I'd email the seller and scold them. They wouldn't dare sending me unhealthy or dead plants. I always get my money back when they do so (on eBay at least).

EDIT: Okay, I just read the whole thread and I found out that your wisteria is growing (which is awesome). But my original point still stands for others dealing with "dead looking" plants and sellers who may be surreptitious.

Old 08-16-2022, 03:44 PM

It's growing, or as much as the deer will allow it to grow.

I was spraying my plants with hot sauce in water and that was keeping the deer away. Then the sprayer jammed and I didn't get another one till yesterday. So if my plants survive today, I'll water and spray them when I get home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden